Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: season open?

Default season open?

When does the season officially open ?

Default Deer season

In cayuga county trails open December 22 at sunset.

Depends what area you area talking about. Different zones open up at different times. The "zones" will usually correspond with NY state hunting zones, same thing with trails that run through private land, as private owners will use their land to hunt during the specified seasons (bow, muzzle-loader, black powder, etc....)

Someone correct me, if I am wrong on Region 6 dates, which are Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida, ST. Lawrence, and Herkimer counties. Looks like it would be December 14th, snow/conditions pending, of course. Maybe it is December 13th at sunset? Since that is the last day of black powder season.

Zone 7, which is Oswego Cty and all points directly south open Dec 22, like tsnow says.

2009 NYS Northern Zone/Adirondack Region Hunting Seasons

Early Bear: September 19 - October 17
    Archery Big Game: September 27 October 23
    Black Powder Big Game: October 17-23
    Regular/Rifle Big Game: October 24 December 6
    Late Black powder (limited DMUs): December 7 13
    Turkey: Spring: May 1 -31, Fall: October 1 23

Other small game seasons: (Squirrel and cottontail rabbit) open on October 1 but some WMUs open earlier than others. The same goes for Grouse hunting which starts as early as September 20 in parts of the Adirondacks. Waterfowl seasons vary by region and a separate stamp is needed to hunt waterfowl. Most predator seasons open in late October These dates are based on DECs synopsis. They are subject to change and regional restrictions may apply.

Southern Zone: Regular/ Rifle Season runs from Nov. 21 - Dec. 13 and is preceded by an archery season that runs from Oct. 17 - Nov. 20. Late Black Powder and Archery seasons are Dec. 14-22.

Last edited by NY AttakGT; 09-30-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Pic added

Thanks, Now i'm really confussed. See you guys on the trail in Jan.

seems people are anxious to find out when the trails are open; how about the date the trails will be worked on. or when all the work is complete. last year there were blowdowns when the trails were just opening and the same few people worked on them for weeks; there wasn't much help and snowmobilers just rode around the work details!

OK, this is usually determined by the clubs but the dates the way I see the maps is most of Tug Hill and the Adirondacks could be opened at dusk on Dec. 6th. There are some areas North of 177 and into the Black River Valley that have muzzle loading season until Dec. 13th. In years past, the regular season dates usually determined the start of sled season but the last couple years some clubs have waited until the end of muzzle loading. To be on the safe side, I would go by dusk on Dec. 13th for the Northern zone and Dusk Dec, 22nd for the Southern zone.

Our club, PBSC, has generally waited until the end of the Southern zone due to the fact that we have one trail that drops into the Southern zone. This year we have decided if we have adequate snow we will be packing the rest of the trails starting dusk Dec. 6th. We will close off access to the trail to Selkirk until Dusk Dec. 22nd. Last year we waited until the end of the Southern season and got caught with 5 feet of snow and had a hell of a time opening the trails.

If you are not familiar with the zone boarders here are a couple links to the DEC maps that should erase all confusion.

Regular Season Map:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html

Muzzle Loading Map:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28604.html
    I see your playing stupid again... Looks like your winning too.

Don't you love nature, despite what it did to you?

Quote Originally Posted by old jerry
    seems people are anxious to find out when the trails are open; how about the date the trails will be worked on. or when all the work is complete. last year there were blowdowns when the trails were just opening and the same few people worked on them for weeks; there wasn't much help and snowmobilers just rode around the work details!
    Jerry, I gotta ask, can you quit throwing this crap into every thread. It's really starting to get old.
    I see your playing stupid again... Looks like your winning too.

Don't you love nature, despite what it did to you?

Default OJ soo true...

Open here on the 7th, always the Monday after big game closes.

They will be open to ride with enough snow and if all the blowdowns are clear.

Snow in Beaver River this morning, felt like it could here but only rain.
    Snowmobiling IS a year-round adventure !...

Join WHERE you Ride______

Hard work fascinates me.........I could watch it ALL day......

Quote Originally Posted by old jerry
    Hey Jerry why don't you just quit and take your ball home . You sound like a winey old B#&*h

Quote Originally Posted by Sno Time
    Jerry, I gotta ask, can you quit throwing this crap into every thread. It's really starting to get old.
    THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!! THANKS YOU SNO-TIME!!

At least it is coming from somebody other than us supposed "know-nothings" and "do-nothings". Enough already..WE GET IT!!!!!!! It seems every other post circumvents back to that!!!

I would always stick to what DEC region maps say, as far as dates.....especially never going earlier. Don't need pissed off landowners who are still trying to hunt their land that a trail happens to go through and have a trail shut down.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast