Thread: Nash Stream Conditions starting in Groveton?

Default Nash Stream Conditions starting in Groveton?

We took the Nash Stream trails from Groveton to the Balsams last Sunday and the trails were good to great on the NH snowmobile Bureau of trails site and the trails were great. I just looked at the site and it is saying that the trail is now marginal to moderate. Just curious is anyone has been out in this area in the last few days. We are thinking of heading north this weekend on sunday but still have not decided. But now that I saw it is Marginal to moderate it is making me double think it. We are riding with an 11 and a 10 year old switching off on a sled so we do not want to go to far north where there are more people on the trails because the kids are still new to sledding so Lots of people on the trails with them makes me nervous. Thanks for any trail reports you have on this area.

Erin

Erin,
    am going to be heading up to groveton this sunday as well. also riding with my 2 kids. How many miles was it to the Ballsams when you road there last weekend?

I can't imagine the conditions have changed much from last weekend as the weather and temps have held.
    My neighbor rode out of Groveton to Errol last weekend, said the trails were great.

GregD

HI we were just on trail 5, 117, pt109 Tuesday 2/9 , Trails have plenty of snow and are groomed. There are a couple of snirty spots here and there, but nothing major. I would not hesitate to go up. Just stay North of Groveton or take PT109 to trail 11 up to the pond of safety, they just recieved 12" of fresh snow.

Default Groveton

Was there yesterday, trails are as good as last week. All groomed up and waiting for your kids.Went down to get gas at Nash Stream, all good. Went out 28 to 19 to 110 to Log Haven and back through Kelsea notch. There was some snirt and ICE in the corners otherwise pretty good ride. I would recommend not getting too far into Colebrook, stay in high country.

Not looking like we are going to be up there this weekend. We have been coming north every weekend for the past three. I think we are going to hold off until the kids are on vacation the last week in February. Have a great weekend for those of you who are headed north.

Erin

Thanks for the update, planning on heading up Sunday morn.
    Were is the best parking in groveton? also looking to head to Dixville Notch and over to the Ballsams for lunch.. Any advice on trails to avoid or routes to take?

Thanks
    G.

I rode that last week, from SDR down to Groveton, 134/110/5. Frankly I though parts of 110 were downright terrible in spots. Since it's currently the quickest way north and keeps you in the high country it's getting lots of use and after so many weeks of no snow it's showing alot of wear in spots and lots of snirt and varying degrees of snirt. It's one thing to ride on stuff that's kind like oreo cookie ice cream snow, it's another when it's peanut butter colored. Large sections of 110 were more like the latter.

Don't get me wrong some areas are great from Groveton, it's the in between stuff you gotta worry about.
    Last edited by Liv2Ride; 02-13-2010 at 08:18 AM.

is it worth parking in Groveton?
    or should plan to unload somewere else? only planning a single day ride, so im not apposed to traveling a little further north.

G

First of all my information is a week old, considering that no significant snow has fallen at all, I'm making assumptions on the conditions having not gotten worse than last weekend.

Unloading in Groveton will get you into some very good riding, BUT if you are looking to ride either north to SDR/PRR areas or east to Errol you will certainly have to run into areas that are not in very good shape. Going south is not a good idea. Up high you're pretty much running on good coverage and occasional icy spots and maybe a spot or two that was starting to go bare. Lower elevations were not good at all, passable if you don't mind peanut butter snow and or lots of large stretches of bare ground. The reality is with limited riding and lots of guys that want to go it puts a ton of pressure on the few spots that have snow.

Now for me I tend to get very fussy with my machines and don't particularly like to run them in snow that is anything but white so I'll be less generous on my assessment of snow coverage and conditions.

If you do head out enjoy!!

Thanks again for your updates. It may be a short ride Sunday, but i am willing to give it try.

G.