Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: salmon river res????why

Default salmon river res????why

im not new to snowmobiling by any means, but i am to redfield so to speak. were camping there this season. im wondering why the sign says "the resivour is not a trail stay on the trail" . now coming from old forge i lived on lakes so why cant i ride on srr.everytime go out out on it feel like im going to be arrested....

Quote Originally Posted by snowgoer
    im not new to snowmobiling by any means, but i am to redfield so to speak. were camping there this season. im wondering why the sign says "the resivour is not a trail stay on the trail" . now coming from old forge i lived on lakes so why cant i ride on srr.everytime go out out on it feel like im going to be arrested....
    I could be wrong but my bet is that with all the tracks that go across it, many newer riders might think it just a big field. If anything happened to one of those riders they could say " I just thought it was a field. I had no idea I was on water. If there was a sign I never would have gone on there." Well, now there is a sign. Because of our over litigeous society, the clubs have to make certain that morons are warned not to do themselves harm.

Basicly, you have read the warning, understood the risk, and chose to ignore or follow it. But you have been informed. I would fully expect to see much more of these type of things, especially in light of the tragic incident in Old Forge recently.

I am pretty certain there isnt a legal trail in New York that crosses a body of water, so they are only being redundant with the posting. Clubs and municipalities have to be ever more vigilant to safegaurd themselves against liabilities, because no one is responsible for their own actions anymore.
    Last edited by Coondog2707; 02-13-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coondog2707
    no one is responsible for their own actions anymore.
    i think that statement is why some landowners won't open their land for trails, I know land owners have gotten caught up in the middle of things when hunters are hunting on their land (legally or illegally) and get hurt,

i'm assuming clubs carry the insurance to cover themselves & the landowners but its still a sue happy & blame someone else world

Default correct

Quote Originally Posted by Coondog2707
    I could be wrong but my bet is that with all the tracks that go across it, many newer riders might think it just a big field. If anything happened to one of those riders they could say " I just thought it was a field. I had no idea I was on water. If there was a sign I never would have gone on there." Well, now there is a sign. Because of our over litigeous society, the clubs have to make certain that morons are warned not not do themselves harm.

Basicly, you have read the warning, understood the risk, and chose to ignore or follow it. But you have been informed. I would fully expect to see much more of these type of things, especially in light of the tragic incident in Old Forge recently.

I am pretty certain there isnt a legal trail in New York that crosses a body of water, so they are only being redundant with the posting. Clubs and municipalities have to be ever more vigilant to safegaurd themselves against liabilities, because no one is responsible for their own actions anymore.
    Spot on, we, PBSC have the sign warning people this is the end of the trail. In other words what you do if you don't turn around and go back is your business, don't come to us saying you didn't know you werent on a trail.

I wouldn't need to manage my anger if others would manage their stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by snowgoer

You wont be arrested.

6. Default Rez signs

The Redfield Sno/Rec club has posted the reservoir as 'not part of the trail system' for all the reasons mentioned in prior posts. There ACTUALLY was a lovely young thing two years ago who said " OMG I thought it was a big field".
    It is NO field - it can be very dangerous if you don't watch where you're going.
    Especially at this time of year as Brookfield Power has just done a draw down in preparation for spring snow melt and some air ridges have been created.

Probably besause the water level in reservoirs fluctuates and some times the ice will be suspended well above the water level creating a dangerous situation. You can get upside down ice heaves and won't see them untill it's too late. A friend of mine got hurt pretty bad riding a res up in Canada because of this.

thanks for the insite. dont want to intentionally break rules

Brookfield power should give a warning when they are going lower the water levels.

Quote Originally Posted by TODDLB
    Brookfield power should give a warning when they are going lower the water levels.
    why's that? they already told you its not part of the trail system and that basically washes their hands of the whole thing. or do you need more signs telling you of current water levels? but if you need your hand to be held that bad should you really be out on the rez to begin with? hmmmm, better stay on the trails
    Depression hurts.* Riding a Triple/Triple can help.* Spin the Track-Ruin the Trail!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast