Thread: Chautauqua Lake Ice Depth

bambino Guest

Default Chautauqua Lake Ice Depth

hey. so my brother has a trip planned up there for next weekend and i want to lead them across the lake(he's never been on the lake when it was frozen). I was up there in the middle of january and rode across the lake from bemus to mayville. it was still a bit slushy. quite slushy on the bemus end. anybody been on there lately? just wondering if it as flattened out and frozen up more since then. also curious to know the ice depth around mayville. it was 8 inches in january. thanks.
    Last edited by Bertgam; 02-04-2011 at 01:26 AM.

Default Still slushy

I was out on it last weekend, and still slushy. I'm sure the ice thickness is plenty to ride on but the slush is creepy. I have a place at Maple springs and shoot down to Mayville to get gas. Only reason for me to ride on the lake. Trails were great last night.

They were cutting ice blocks from the lake for the ice castle at the Mayville boat launch this weekend. Blocks looked to be around 16 inches thick or more.

bambino Guest

i hope these warm temps smoothens the lake out.

Default Still slush!

Bertgam- for updates on Chautauquas ice condition check out [url]www.iceshanty.com. Then go to the NY fishing Section and look for the Lake Chautauqua thread.Lots of ice fishermen there will be talking about the ice conditions.It was very slushy there last week and from what I heard is going to be until it warms and refreezes.Oh and BTW, don't tell them you are looking for info for SNOWMOBILING because many of them don't appreciate some of the idiot sledders that have been causing trouble down there. Pete
    Last edited by PETE/NY; 02-07-2011 at 06:20 AM.

How are the trail conditions in Chautauqua/Cattaraugus County? Thinking about heading up this weekend. Thanks.

Default Ice depth

I did talk to a gentleman in Mayville who works on building the ice castle. he said the ice on the lake and what they are using to build the castle with is the best he has ever seen. problem is there is a layer of slush on top of it, and then a crust of ice formed on top of that. Riding over that is not fun at all. You keep breaking through the crust into the slush and water shoots up. Makes it a very nervous situation. I am used to being able to take a sled out on the Lakes in Canada or Maine and open them up. You do not want to do that on Chautauqua this year. Trust me!!