Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolutely Amazing !

Default Absolutely Amazing !

I read this forum everyday that I can. Have read some interesting stories, picked up some valuable information and been able to ride trails knowing they were in good shape because of the forum. Also have seen threads about everything and anything and no shortage of someone ready to speak their mind.
    But last week I made a post about the Northern Pass project and not one reply?
    If you're for it? Let me here it. If you're against it? Let me here it.
    But lets not let this project go through without so much as a debate.
    This will impact us as snowmobilers in one way or another. Good or bad, that is up to you to decide. But you cannot just sit back and hope! Get out and let your voice be heard which ever side you are on.

I assume you all know how I feel?

If not.

STOP THE TOWERS
    JUST SAY NO TO THE
    NORTHERN PASS PROJECT
    Northern NH Snowmobile Tours
    http://northernnhsnowtours.vpweb.com

I dont know enough to really make an educated statement on it. From what I hear, Im against it.... Its not going to make any money for the North Country. And they say it will add jobs while building it... Im willing to bet they bring there own works. Yes some people will get hired from the north country but not as many as some may think... It destorys the views, lowers property values, ect. So, where is the plus? Im struggling to find it....

Quote Originally Posted by f_catsnopro04
    I dont know enough to really make an educated statement on it. From what I hear, Im against it.... Its not going to make any money for the North Country. And they say it will add jobs while building it... Im willing to bet they bring there own works. Yes some people will get hired from the north country but not as many as some may think... It destorys the views, lowers property values, ect. So, where is the plus? Im struggling to find it....
    Well from your comments you are more educated on it than you think, because what you said is true.

Thats why we are trying to get them to bury the lines if they say we absolutely need the power. But what about Seabrook Station? I don't believe that is running at full capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by Livtoride
    Well from your comments you are more educated on it than you think, because what you said is true.

Thats why we are trying to get them to bury the lines if they say we absolutely need the power. But what about Seabrook Station? I don't believe that is running at full capacity?
    Burying power for long distances is a problem due to the heat involved.

Default Power line snowmobiling-Northern Pass??

For most out of the area snowmobilers,as long as snowmobiling and trails will not be hurt by transmission power lines they probably have given little thought one way or the other about the Northern Pass proposal.For those who have ridden often in Vermont,Southern Quebec even here power line trails have often turned out to be a significant trail way for snowmobilers.Sure a high voltage hum and boreing ride at times but often the view opened up by the transmission line trails beats a wooded ride where one can see very little.From the out of the area riders,I doubt transmission line trails will result in any significant change in riding plans.Perhaps the reason few have responded to the post or even thought about a stand one way or the other.For many locals however, those who will be impacted by the towers and land values,sure one can expect a negative vibe which is happening.Why snowmobilers from Mass ,Conn,R.I.would care as long as trails and snow travel continue or even increase seems to be the reason no comments so far.
    I support the SDR stand, a neutral forum for both sides along with $25,000 sponsor ship for their Sno-De-o.Sounds like good businees to me.Perhaps a few dozen will show up at the Sno-De-o with the orange look of anti Northern Pass but I expect the rest of the thousands attending the Sno-De-o could care less.Transmission towers like the hundreds along Vermont trails,Thousands in southern quebec--who cares LETS RIDE!!
    Knowing your stand-do you see snowmobiling being impacted in any way by Northern Pass!!From a snowmobilers perspective, as per my post, I see little change ahead.Neutral thoughts for now (For myself).Perhaps the Sno-De-o will change my mind!!

Against it! None or little of the energy will be going to NH. It is bound further south and will destroy one of the most beautiful areas on Rte 145 out of Colebrook. Northern NH depends on tourism for so many jobs and it is more important now that all the mills are closed. Why we would allow a foreign company out of Canada do this to our state is beyond me. For really good commentary on the cons of this read John Harrigan's recent letter to state senator John Gallus.
    http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...3-44eb23099b9e

Thumbs down Northern Pass (by please)

Let's remember that the local folks who will be impacted by these horrendus towers will still own the land the towers may be built on. I have a real doubt that they will allow a trail to be used on that ROW. The deed will be a very unpleasant one for years to come after it's done~ IF it's done. Let's hope not!

Roady
    Burying the lines does involve more heat, agreed. But the technolgy is out there. They have done it down the Champlain valley in NY.

Diamond
    Do I know if it will impact snowmobiling? No I don't for sure. But what if it does? And impacts it considerably! For my business its a death sentence.

But to ksmoola1's comment, the views we have now runnning down 145 or the rest of the state will be impacted. No question about that. As a tourist coming from MA, CT RI or NY or southern NH, I would not want to drive up here just to see the towers along the ridges of the mountains.

Thanks everyone for the replies. If the discussions start, at least people are aware of what is going on.

I had originally kept out of this topic becuase I do not live in the area, but I have changed my mind recently.
    I see absolutely no benefit from this project to the North Country, I stand with SDR in accepting the sponsorship, but I do not want to see the natural beauty of the the Great North Woods changed forever ......
    Northen Pass Can Kiss My Ass.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nor'easter
    I had originally kept out of this topic becuase I do not live in the area, but I have changed my mind recently.
    I see absolutely no benefit from this project to the North Country, I stand with SDR in accepting the sponsorship, but I do not want to see the natural beauty of the the Great North Woods changed forever ......
    Northen Pass Can Kiss My Ass.....
    Nor'easter, I stand with you on taking their money for the Snodeo.
    I was involved in the 70's trying to stop PSNH (once again) from putting the Seabrook nuke plant on the smallest coastline of any state that has coastline.
    You see where we got with that battle. So I might be a bit biased here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast