Thread: Diamond Pond look 3/29/12

Talking Diamond Pond look 3/29/12

Back finally after 6 weeks.Despite much water over the dam the look is much the same as it was back in mid Feb.I am sure much snow came and went but today 3 inches of snow,still snowing and blowing,24 degrees and all is white with Big Diamond still ice covered and the muddy road re-frozen.A solid crunch to the snow on the ground and am not sure if all the trails were melted down as if there was still snow covered trails,this weekend would see great riding conditions!In Past seasons the winter season often would still see the high country buried in deep snow.At only 24 degrees it has remained below freezing all week and certainly has a white look similar to when we left back in mid February.Many seasons would see good conditions often into the third week of April.If a normal spell of weather was to happen or even below normal times,its not out of the question that the fat lady might just have to keep her mouth shut a few more weeks.A wintry look as the snow is blowing and drifting like it still should be this time of year.Stay tuned for a better weekend look!!!!!!

Default Friday A.M. look-fantastic weekend --IF!!!

The summer warm temps of a week ago melted so much snow that almost any base was melted away.Otherwise--this would be a fantastic early sping riding weekend.Snow continued over night and now 4 inches new on the ground and only 15 air temp degrees!Wind chill single numbers.February like and Big Diamond seems completely re-frozen and drifting snow covered.Often this is the way the season goes up here and a winter like cold snap even in April ,can return conditions to dead of winter like,at least for a few days.In past seasons I remember a ride out to Parmachenee Lake April 18 th while 10 inches new snow was falling!Only a significant deep snow fall may return a few SDR trails to ridable conditions.On top of that all trail signing(directions)should be down by now and no grooming will happen this season.With no gates on SDR trails perhaps with a substantial snow cover,Spring riding conditions could still happen.However only a cold snowy outlook would cause this to happen.(More snow expected Sunday).My body is still in significant recovery mode after Wyoming accident other wise I would hit the trails to check things out.It certainly has a significant winter look and feel.Sun is breaking through the clouds-still only 15 above.Certainly a pretty look out the window and a chance to enjoy the white winter time scene.The ugly thing is the road with terrible mud looks like mud season 2 will happen as this snow and cold snap melt soon.We may head back to Mass today as I am missing an important heart drug and no local drug stores have the drug.Been glad to be back.For hard core snowmobilers--Diamond Pond is the place to be for lasting winter and any possible riding.Winter like times could still happen 4 more weeks.Earliest ice out April 21--could certainly see that record broken if warm temps return.Out for now!!

Default Welcome Back

Good to see you posting again Bruce. Glad that you were able to make the trip up to NH. The trails and gates in the WMRR system have been closed since Mar. 12th and we are going into our second weekend of trail work. I am glad the ground froze up because last weekend there was so much mud we had to walk everywhere. No snow on the ground anywhere last weekend in our area. We did get a few inches this week, but that has mostly melted already. With the ground frozen we should be able to use ATV's for our trail work this coming weekend.

Default Ligomes and others--

Still bright sunlight at 5.15 P.M.Sun has won the flurry battle and a few puffy clouds ,yet all is still covered with snow 26 degrees.I actually have not gone out of the house today knowing if I got to the garage probably would have taken the sled down the road and the wife would have killed me.I certainly enjoy reading of the club activities in WMRR territory.While all clubs must have a strong business profile to succeed,Also efforts to be a club environment for members and volunteers is a balancing act perhaps difficult at times for some.Its nice to see the WMRR succeeding. I often wish some of the very snowy conditions could be shared with what we have here at the pond with other locations where snowmobiling is Top winter Priority.With a retrival of 6 weeks of mail a special thanks again for those who wished me well in the warming hut up in PRR territory and Ligomes I appreciate your kind words as well.I will keep the Diamond reports going as I know many need the communication when traveling from many miles away.A different winter world up here.Am sorry I never made it to the new WMRR warming hut this season but glad my name is on the donation plaque and in a small way was able to be part of a significant snowmobile project.Wish I had some good trail news but so much base disappeard only major snow (feet) could be the only thing shutting the Fat Lady up.Still is beautiful up here.BUT 8 more weeks all snow will be gone and grass needing to be cut first time--MEMORIAL DAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond
    Back finally after 6 weeks.Despite much water over the dam the look is much the same as it was back in mid Feb.I am sure much snow came and went but today 3 inches of snow,still snowing and blowing,24 degrees and all is white with Big Diamond still ice covered and the muddy road re-frozen.A solid crunch to the snow on the ground and am not sure if all the trails were melted down as if there was still snow covered trails,this weekend would see great riding conditions!In Past seasons the winter season often would still see the high country buried in deep snow.At only 24 degrees it has remained below freezing all week and certainly has a white look similar to when we left back in mid February.Many seasons would see good conditions often into the third week of April.If a normal spell of weather was to happen or even below normal times,its not out of the question that the fat lady might just have to keep her mouth shut a few more weeks.A wintry look as the snow is blowing and drifting like it still should be this time of year.Stay tuned for a better weekend look!!!!!!
    BOT and the club has officially closed the trails even if it looks tempting. There are washouts under any snow in the backcountry that can collapse. It happened to our crew while pulling signs. Very dangerous.

Default So much for spring riding!!

FYI this Saturday A.M.6 above zero at dawn(6.45 A.M.)With a final (K.D.)word it seems the Fat lady is the winner this terrible season.Lets hope we are back to more normal conditions this coming season.It was a real eye opener as often many climate conditions would make an outlook possible but not this year.Had the warm temps continued it looked as if the ice was ready to go out on Little Diamond and open areas even on Big Diamond where the out flow of little diamond enters Big Diamond.Now all seems solid for now and a colder normal week ahead.It would be a shame if the mild winter pattern decided to change NOW.Normally April is the month not to be at the pond with cold melting snow extreme mud and often the time most would choose for vacation time.I for one certainly looking to put this season behind and look ahead toward better times.Out for now.