Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trails north of route 6 and to the New York border

Default Trails north of route 6 and to the New York border

I was wondering if the trails on the north side of rte.6 were marked very well? I would love to beable to ride into New York and get on there trail system. I might purchase a GPS system if someone out there has it mapped out on how to get to the New York border from the potato city area. From what I gather from a fellow sledder in allegany county new york(which is the county just north of the potter county snowmobile club) the trails are not marked hardly at all and he said is a shame because you Pennsylvanians could enjoy our trails and us new yorkians could enjoy your trails. So I was just wandering if anybody out there could tell me a little more about this? Thanks.

There are a couple of trails that head up to the New York system, both of which are in the Shinglehouse area. There is a map of the system on Polaris2006's website, sweeden hill snowcam. The trails are not marked or marked very poorly. In addition, many of them are on township roads that are getting plowed more frequently. It sure would be nice for the northern clubs to get their trail system marked a little better. I think that would increase the business in the area as a result. There is always next year!
    "Every man dies, but not every man truly lives!"

Default New York

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior Snowman
    There are a couple of trails that head up to the New York system, both of which are in the Shinglehouse area. There is a map of the system on Polaris2006's website, sweeden hill snowcam. The trails are not marked or marked very poorly. In addition, many of them are on township roads that are getting plowed more frequently. It sure would be nice for the northern clubs to get their trail system marked a little better. I think that would increase the business in the area as a result. There is always next year!
    Warrior Snowman and I have been working on trying to get a GPS track to New York for the last 2 years but like he said it's either not marked or marked very poorly plus we have had limited snow cover. We both use Garmin's so if we ever get a track I will post it on my website. You will need Map Source to be able to view it. Obviously once you get into New York there is a world of possibilities for riding.
    If anyone has any Garmin Tracks of that area please send them to me and I will try to put them together with what we already have.
    Contact information for the Shinglehouse club (Potter County Trail Busters) is on my website if anybody is interested in getting involved with the club to help them mark the trails.
    Keep it Right

SwedenHillSnoCam

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris2006
    Warrior Snowman and I have been working on trying to get a GPS track to New York for the last 2 years but like he said it's either not marked or marked very poorly plus we have had limited snow cover. We both use Garmin's so if we ever get a track I will post it on my website. You will need Map Source to be able to view it. Obviously once you get into New York there is a world of possibilities for riding.
    If anyone has any Garmin Tracks of that area please send them to me and I will try to put them together with what we already have.
    Contact information for the Shinglehouse club (Potter County Trail Busters) is on my website if anybody is interested in getting involved with the club to help them mark the trails.
    It's not too bad of a route. It could use some markings. Maybe we could make some small signs and mark it up this off season. I'll be up for easter. Should I bring my Quad? Let me know.
    Hey I'd like to rig up a GPS for riding. We broke down up in MI. A guy rode by with a GPS and it was nice to see where the nearest road pickup point was. I have several handheld models and one garmin from the truck that I don't use anymore as I updated the one for the truck.
    Tim

We have been talking about this same thing on the post headed(major winter storm next week) I copied this post from there made by pafirecat.

Seneca Highlands Snowmobile Association Considers Trail Expansion

September 10, 2012

Smethport Web — by Les Jordan Jr.

The Seneca Highlands Snowmobile Association met with representatives from county, state and federal agencies at the Smethport Senior Center on Friday afternoon, September 7th, to discuss trail expansion, including two bridges planned for the area.

The association was represented by Corky Hull of Smethport who has been active in trail development for the snowmobile group since it was formed.

Adam Mattis, Northwest Regional Advisor of DCNR, played a key role in advising the association concerning several issues about trail expansion and the processes required for preparing grant applications. Other agency representatives offering advice included Susquehannock State Forest District Forester, Chris Nicholas; Assistant District Forester, Eric Allenbaugh; and Recreation Forester, Cory Gulvas. Also present were Liz Krug, President of the Pennsylvania State Snowmobile Association, and Potter County PSSA Director, Amy Jacoby.

Ross Porter represented the Borough of Smethport. The snowmobile club is a standing member of the Potato Creek Trail Association, which is under Smethport Borough.

The snowmobile club discussed ways to submit a grant that would allow the club to build two steel bridges across waterways on its trail system through Smethport and East Smethport. One of the proposed bridges would be 115 feet long and cross Marvin Creek just east of the Veteran’s Bridge on Mechanic Street. The second bridge would be 100 feet long, near the POW/MIA Memorial Bridge at East Smethport near the confluence of Marvin Creek and Potato Creek.

The second concern the club had was securing easement permission from private and public landowners to develop a 52 mile, 20 foot wide corridor trail system from the Allegheny National Forest near Lantz Corners through McKean County and then connecting with the Susquehannock State Forest in Potter County. The route through McKean County would then become part of the “Blue Line,” which is a proposed state snowmobile route that is projected to travel across the northern tier of Pennsylvania.

Adam Mattis provided essential information on the process the club needed to follow in order to be considered for a “dollar for dollar” type matching grant from DCNR.

The club was advised to develop a plan that includes a map that illustrates the entire proposed trail system through the county that includes the ANF and an overlay of all property owners along the proposed route to the Susquehanna State Forest.

It was also suggested that the club meet with the property owners to gather details on the restrictions and requirements needed by them in order to acquire easements through their properties.

The third suggestion was for the snowmobile club to receive a survey that would be used in order to be eligible for the award of a grant from an appropriate agency.

Paul Althouse from the Roulette area’s West End Trailblazer’s snowmobile club and John Fox and his wife from the Potter County Snowmobile Association gave input at the meeting toward developing feeder trails to the proposed “Blue Line” trail route through McKean County

Scott
    That trail actually already exists there just trying to make it more of a straight shot across and as Gizz can attest to its not marked either. Rode over to Lantz Corners a few years back from Coudersport. bvThere's a map on the wall at Lantz Corners Bar that shows the trail.

What it boils down to, if we want these trails marked we're going to have to get more involved with the clubs that maintain these trails because like all the rest of the clubs, I'm sure there short on manpower. Keep in mind most of these trails get cleared and marked a few weeks before Christmas in the height of bear & deer hunting season.
    Keep it Right

SwedenHillSnoCam

polaris2006,

I would definitely be interested in helping the shingle house club mark the trail, that's a great idea. I tried three different times this year to find my way up there always seem to loose the trail on the south side of clara cant find any more trail markers. I enlarged and printed the map from you site but it does no good without markers. I did find some marked game land trails up there, again once you got off the game lands no more markers, if the game land trail are part of their system, they dont open till after muzzle loader season. I did not know there was an existing legal trail to lantz corner, is that the trail marked B12 Alt on the shinglehouse map? If you contact someone from the shinglehouse club and they would like some help , let me know. I think the one girl that works at howards is from shinglehouse, next time I'am up there I will ask her.
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott63; 03-11-2013 at 07:58 PM.

These map's really don't explain much..
    The SURGEON GENERAL never said anything about SMOKIN your friends

Looking at this mckean map. i live right next to the yellow trail at the very top in otto township. and i can tell you from Dukecenter (otto) theres not one trail sighn all the way down to smethport. so if your not local" your clueless..

This is how close i live to the trail coming from smethport to ny. riding out of my garage, on to the trail, headed for ny. http://youtu.be/lxWHYfb5Mhw

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast