Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collett Groomer Beacon Warning System on all Tioga State Forest Groomers next season

Default Collett Groomer Beacon Warning System on all Tioga State Forest Groomers next season

The Pa. Grand Canyon Snowmobile Club working with the DCNR Bureau of Forestry/Tioga State Forest will have on their four groomers next snowmobile season a Groomer Beacon Warning System. Collett Communicator's of Oakbank, MB Canada who manufactures helmet radios for outdoor enthusiast gives Groomer Warning Beacons free of charge and are installed on trail groomers. They transmit a 900MHz radio signal " dee-da " "dee-da " that can be received on all Collett ' 900 ' series Communicators. This signal warns snowmobilers that a groomer is near and they should slow down and be prepared to stop.
    Our club was aware that none of the Tioga State Forest groomers were equipped with the warning beacons. So, we contacted the District office, and found out they would be very pleased to have them installed on all there groomers. They look forward to the added safety the warning beacon can provide for the numerous riders that visit their forest every winter. Our club then contacted Collett and they graciously sent us four groomer beacons that will be installed on the Tioga State Forest grooomers.
    In closing the Grand Canyon SC has only dealt with the Tioga State Forest District. If there is a snowmobile club in another State Forest District (Susquehannock/Tiadaghton, Etc) who might be interested in doing the same to procure groomer beacons for the DCNR groomers in their district the USA Collett phone number to call is 1-517-351-4362 and ask for Christine. If another club does pursue this you will also be ask if the groomers are 12 or 24V systems so that is something you will need to know ahead of time.
    Mine - 2016 Ski-Doo Renegade Enduro 900 ACE
    Wife's- 2011 Ski-Doo MXZ Sport 600 ACE

"There's No Center Line, and The Right Side Is Mine"

Did you get any beacons for the local club groomers?
    Keep it Right

SwedenHillSnoCam

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris2006 View Post
    Did you get any beacons for the local club groomers?
    Craig, I worked with the Black Forest SC in Germania several years ago helping them obtain one for their groomer, but I couldn't tell you about any other clubs as to whether they have them or not. I don't know which clubs have groomers and which one's don't have them. If a snowmobile club has a groomer and would like to obtain a Groomer Beacon they can call that number I gave and one will be sent to the club again free of charge. Just keep in mind that the voltage must be know before calling them as mentioned. The Grand Canyon SC used to groom north of Rt. 6 using one of DCNR'S groomers but DCNR now does it all.

This seems like a good idea but I have to wonder how many people actually have and use the communicators, although I think if preventing only one accident it would be well worth connecting a couple wires to install them in the groomers.

Do you have to have the collett radio to pick up the beacon or will chatterbox also work
    CHIP

These have been used in Canada for years. I think it's a great idea however I don't like or use communicators. I would however purchase something that could easily be put on the dash of the snowmobile, like a small warning light if they would offer it. I saw firsthand how dangerous it can be coming around a corner on your own side of the trail with the groomer covering the entire width of the trail. The guy missed the groomer and went off the trail and into the woods luckily without hitting anything. I like the idea and hopefully someday perhaps they could offer an alternative to the communicators. I think it's a great idea to put them on all groomers regardless of whether or not you have communicators. And they're free!

Quote Originally Posted by flamingfirecat View Post
    Do you have to have the collett radio to pick up the beacon or will chatterbox also work
    I don't own a Chatterbox but from what I understand they won't pick up the 900MHz radio signal which would be needed to hear the groomer beacon alarm. My wife and I have the Collett's and it gets your attention when the groomer is in the area if they have one installed on their groomer.

It would be a good idea if they made a reciever with a flashing light that you could mount on your sled...if not I guess I will buy a collett so I can inform others in our group we have to much money invested in chatterboxs to switch now
    CHIP

Thumbs up Thank you.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to help keep us all safe. This is a great idea. Is Dave Hassler still involved with the club? I remember when he used to run the groomer up the goat path.
    Last edited by Polarisfan; 03-26-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarisfan View Post
    Thank you for taking the time and effort to help keep us all safe. This is a great idea. Is Dave Hassler still involved with the club? I remember when he used to run the groomer up the goat path.
    Dave was our President for many years and I've always enjoyed working with him on various projects. This past year he decided it was time to step down from the post he ran so well and yes he is still involved in the club. Dave is approaching 90 years of age and as I've told him "I don't know what your eatinig, but I want some" (LOL). He is always on the go and I'm sure that is part of what keeps him "young".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast