Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: 2013-14 Winter…ranked #3 since 2001

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Penfield, NY (home) / Orwell, NY (camp)
    Posts
    1,416

    Default 2013-14 Winter…ranked #3 since 2001

    With the criteria being consistent cold, consistency of snowpack, few warm-ups, and duration of riding season, I rank the 2013-14 season as #3 this century.

    #1 2002-03. What a winter. Steady cold and consistent snow led to a 4+ month riding season. It started in early December and lasted until April. Only one minor warm up the entire winter - mid to late December. A 3,300 mile season for me.

    #2 2010-11. Another consistently cold and snowy winter, that started a little later than 02-03 and ended a little sooner. Short warm up in mid February that only lasted about 36 hours. 3,200 miles that year.

    #3 2013-14. The longest riding season since 02-03, and it is still going on now on April 1! What makes it third is three devastating warm ups - one around Christmas, the next in early January that lasted almost two weeks, and a brief hiatus from the cold in February. Take away these stretches of warmth, and this winter may have been the best in a decade.

    WORST:

    #13 2001-02. Terrible winter with many areas offering no riding opportunities. Even Old Forge struggled with holding cold temps. and snow. Trail 5 was mud in the middle of February. No riding on the Hill until after Christmas.

    #12 2011-12. A wimpy winter with a few arctic outbursts for a few days here and there, but a weather pattern that couldn't lock it in place for long. Only the top of Tug Hill had a two month riding season. May areas in lowlands and out of the lake effect belt were out of luck.
    Last edited by OrwellianCamper; 04-01-2014 at 04:48 PM.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rochester,NY Redfield,NewYork
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I would agree,one of my best winters also this season,snow was awsome all year and the clubs did an awsome job on the trail systems,So thanks to all the clubs on the hill for doing such a nice job.
    I feel the need for speed

    Proud member of Purple palace inn,Redfield,NewYork

    Proud member of Redfield Sno-rec club

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Harrisburg Pa
    Posts
    2,052

    Default

    It seems like people are forgetting 08/09
    Here is a reminder.

    Name:  7ft of snow on the ground.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  10.2 KBName:  100_1984.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  13.0 KB
    Im confused, wait... maybe i'm not.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,249

    Default

    Oo-01 was another good winter. I had a 5500 mile season.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Penfield, NY (home) / Orwell, NY (camp)
    Posts
    1,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Oo-01 was another good winter. I had a 5500 mile season.
    I wasn't a full-time rider in 00-01. I do remember that year having a really early snowfall around Thanksgiving and a big storm in March after a dull February.
    Last edited by OrwellianCamper; 04-02-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Penfield, NY (home) / Orwell, NY (camp)
    Posts
    1,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TODDLB View Post
    It seems like people are forgetting 08/09
    Here is a reminder.

    Name:  7ft of snow on the ground.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  10.2 KBName:  100_1984.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  13.0 KB
    Todd, 08-09 was a good winter. However, it started late but ended late also. I think '08 was the year Syracuse only had 4" of snow by the end of December (though that picture shows otherwise; wasn't 2008-09 the year of the week-long lake effect event that buried Redfield? Or was that 06-07?). I remember riding locally down here (near Rochester) in mid-March, which is quite rare (though it happened this year). I would rank it 5th. #4, in my opinion, was 2003-04. That was a winter with TONS of snow, but was very short. No riding until January anywhere, and it was in the 50s at the end of February. Somehow, I squeezed out my only 4,000 mile season that year.

    2004-05 was a great winter for areas south and east of Syracuse as several winter storms left a heavy snowpack. I know some guys that rode all the way down into PA from this area and back for an overnighter.
    Last edited by OrwellianCamper; 04-02-2014 at 06:51 PM.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrwellianCamper View Post
    I wasn't a full-time rider in 00-01. I do remember that year having a really early snowfall around Thanksgiving and a big storm in March after a dull February.
    Syracuse received almost 46" of snow that March. I remember riding here in April and the snow was the deepest it was all winter then.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Harrisburg Pa
    Posts
    2,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrwellianCamper View Post
    Todd, 08-09 was a good winter. However, it started late but ended late also. I think '08 was the year Syracuse only had 4" of snow by the end of December (though that picture shows otherwise; wasn't 2008-09 the year of the week-long lake effect event that buried Redfield? Or was that 06-07?). I remember riding locally down here (near Rochester) in mid-March, which is quite rare (though it happened this year). I would rank it 5th. #4, in my opinion, was 2003-04. That was a winter with TONS of snow, but was very short. No riding until January anywhere, and it was in the 50s at the end of February. Somehow, I squeezed out my only 4,000 mile season that year.

    2004-05 was a great winter for areas south and east of Syracuse as several winter storms left a heavy snowpack. I know some guys that rode all the way down into PA from this area and back for an overnighter.
    Started late ? I remember 3ft of snow on the ground before the gates were open in Redfield. The 141" of snow in a week was feb 07
    I remember having 6ft of snow on the ground at my place near the pipeline over on dam road for over 2 weeks in feb, I dont remember that winter 08/09 ever getting above freezing.
    Im confused, wait... maybe i'm not.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Harrisburg Pa
    Posts
    2,052

    Default

    Name:  100_1981.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  26.0 KBName:  100_1980.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  18.5 KBName:  100_1982.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  19.7 KB About 18" in oct, this melted , but then sometime in nov it snowed and did not melt until april.
    Im confused, wait... maybe i'm not.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dark side of the moon
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Every winter is a good winter , some are better than others. Take the good with the bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •