Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moonlight Riders Trail S74 Needs Help

Default Moonlight Riders Trail S74 Needs Help

Any chance the Moonlight Riders could take one of their 3 groomers out and groom trail S74 from Georgetown to Earlville? Rode 100 miles today from Pharsalia to Deruyter to Georgetown to Sherburne and back to Pharsalia and that 8 mile stretch was the worst trail I have come across all season. It appears it has not been groomed in over a week with 2-3 foot moguls, berms in the corners which are causing sleds to ride on one side of the trail causing a hazardous situation, especially in the Earlville forest. Also if they take the groomer out they could bring some signs with them. There is a significant lack of signage. To start with the trail from the Georgetown Inn up to the C7D/S74 split has long sections that have no curve or chevrons signs. On s74 there are areas of double staked trails then single staked and divided trail signage in between. It is clear that the riders are confused since they are riding outside the stakes left of single stakes and off trail in a lot of areas. Also the trail staking in the field sections could be spaced at a shorter distance so you don't come over a hill and have to look all over trying to spot the next set of stakes, some of which are over 500' apart and are not visible in even a light snow shower. Another issue is the use of the small orange arrows instead of the larger yellow arrow signs which are a lot easier to read when the snow sticks to them and don't blend in with the trees.

I get that this is a secondary trail but I have ridden on more than a dozen different clubs trails this season and their secondary trails are just as good as their main trails. I believe the club gets paid the same rate to take care of the secondary trails as it does for the main corridor trails so this trail should be getting the same attention as C7D. I would like to thank the Chenango Sno Riders, Trail Hounds, and SHASTA for taking pride in their trail systems and all the hard work they have done this season to keep their trail groomed and signed appropriately.
    Last edited by Pharsalia570; 02-14-2015 at 09:41 PM.

I would concur that S74 needs some lovin'. I've ridden it a couple times this year and do not believe it has been groomed yet. I have ridden it when it has been groomed though and it can be quite nice. The one short section in the Earlville State Land will likely remain rough even if it's groomed. I believe there are berms in the trail from previous logging jobs that were put in for erosion control. I have a hard time chastising volunteers and I know they have faced some mechanical problems as of late but I too hope there are improvements in the years to come. I'm sure the club would appreciate any extra help anyone would offer to make their system better. I rode in other sections of theirs today which were quite nice, especially considering the traffic.

BTW, the Amish have been logging and getting out firewood on both sides of the Earlville State Land. Use caution when going through as to not spook the horses or, worse yet, get trampled by them!
    SHASTA Snowmobile Club is now on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shasta...29092437152881
    When Hell freezes over, I'll snowmobile there too!

2015 600 Axys Pro S 60th Anniversary
    2012 600 Retro Rush Pro R (Mrs. Snowmads)
    2004 Polaris 600 XC SP loaner sled/backup/beater

They had their groomer on that trail Thursday afternoon. It was off the side of the trail and had just lost its track.

Default Ease up

Two groomers down bud. Tough to get anything done with two down. One groomer has hydro issues and the other doesn't have a track.
    The entire system of MLR has been groomed within the last 72 hours. Check the fb page or another forum where you can get some info on the trails or the club.

Thanks for your concern friend though I don't appreciate your tone. The club does have two groomers down now the br160 is back up but currently is on s54 near munnsville no help. Club members worked the last 2 days rebuilding the 180s track and then was discovered that the tucker received track damage rescuing the 180 so that machine is down also. We sure hate to spoil your rides with all thoughs nasty bumps and drifts but were doing the very best we can, in fact Im on my way over now to continue fixing the tracks, Id ask you to come out and help but your probably busy riding, enjoy! Thank You dirtfarmer for the support, we will have the whole trail system flattened out soon for sure. As for the staking and signing my friend I sign all of s74 double staked the whole way maybe riders could stop running them over! If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at home 684 7828 ask for john I am moonlights president and will be more than happy to take your complaints/concerns and questions and give you some answers also.
    Last edited by coolrider; 02-15-2015 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer View Post
    Two groomers down bud. Tough to get anything done with two down. One groomer has hydro issues and the other doesn't have a track.
    The entire system of MLR has been groomed within the last 72 hours. Check the fb page or another forum where you can get some info on the trails or the club.
    A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by CNY Doo Guy View Post
    A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.
    Because well maintained machines never break.

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    Because well maintained machines never break.

I didn't say they don't break......but throwing a track is a good indication someone is not staying on top of track adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by CNY Doo Guy View Post
    I didn't say they don't break......but throwing a track is a good indication someone is not staying on top of track adjustment.
    The track was not thrown it broke.

Quote Originally Posted by trailgrunt View Post
    The track was not thrown it broke.
    Due for new belts, or someone ignored a broken cleat?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast