Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A better way to get volunteers to help

Default A better way to get volunteers to help

So, I've only helped out two weekends, gone to a couple fundraisers here and there, and I consider myself to be the one trying the hardest of anyone in my group of snowmobilers to try to help out. We come from a rural area in PA to ride and the vast majority of my friends only go up to fish a couple weekends and snowmobile a handful of weekends. My wife and I own a place in Oswego County and would genuinely like to help out but I feel like there isn't an "easy" way" to give a helping hand when we can. The point of this thread is to come up with some new ways to motivate riders to help out when they can. The simple, we need help this week or this weekend doesn't seem to reach the vast majority of riders. Anyone have thoughts on using our resources such as mailings or email to get more out of towners to help; perhaps discounted rates at hotels or restaurants to get people up in the fall to help?

PLEASE KEEP THIS POSITIVE- no sense in starting a bashing post again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustacherider19 View Post
    So, I've only helped out two weekends, gone to a couple fundraisers here and there, and I consider myself to be the one trying the hardest of anyone in my group of snowmobilers to try to help out. We come from a rural area in PA to ride and the vast majority of my friends only go up to fish a couple weekends and snowmobile a handful of weekends. My wife and I own a place in Oswego County and would genuinely like to help out but I feel like there isn't an "easy" way" to give a helping hand when we can. The point of this thread is to come up with some new ways to motivate riders to help out when they can. The simple, we need help this week or this weekend doesn't seem to reach the vast majority of riders. Anyone have thoughts on using our resources such as mailings or email to get more out of towners to help; perhaps discounted rates at hotels or restaurants to get people up in the fall to help?

PLEASE KEEP THIS POSITIVE- no sense in starting a bashing post again.
    Good luck and here's my observations.

Everyone is always busy.
    It's convenient to turn a blind eye to volunteer work. Just look at the lack of volunteers FD's look at who actually works at the soup kitchens
    The mentality is someone else will take care of it they always have before
    New people feel they have a hard time being accepted
    Old timers have been burnt so many times by people who offered to help but never show for a variety of reasons which leads to they don't take newbies serious
    This younger generation for the most part has no work ethic and this goes further than the younger ones to a lesser extent
    The outsiders always claim we need a plan then we can go do it when it's convenient for us. That doesn't work either and then the old guard winds up doing it which greatly causes a rift and burnout.
    I've seen plenty of new/old ideas and none of them work. Why because no one wants to give up the time and do the work. Just look at the workforce for when people get paid to work and it's quiet obvious.

Raise the rates to $250/sled weed out the freeloaders and pay out for what it's worth.

Commence flaming now

I fully understand it's nearly impossible to get people to volunteer their time to do some work. As I built my last cabin, I couldn't get any friends to come help throughout the summer and fall but when it came time to ride, everyone had time to come up and ride. And of course, they wanted to stay at my place.

Regardless of the big hurdle of the new generation(which most of you would probably put me in that class) not willing/able to commit their time for volunteer work, I think it's sad to just give up trying to come up with a way to get them more involved. I do think if the registration cost $250 if you didn't volunteer but down to $100 if you gave at least 20 hours of work time, that would get more people helping. I for one see this option as incredibly hard to get approved but it's an idea.

Two years ago, I got two other friends to volunteer with me because I said you're not freeloading at my place if you don't come help for at least one weekend. It didn't work for everyone who would stay at my place but that too was a way I got some friends to help out.

Instead of talking about the societal issue we have, I'd love to try to keep it to ways that have or haven't worked, what clubs have a successful volunteer base, which don't. Maybe we can learn from the different clubs and get some more help.

Default 2 ways

There's 2 ways people get really involved, for the most part. Any data set has points around the fringes.

1) A person finds out about how it all works and figures out how to "get involved", sometimes fighting their way IN.
    2) A person finds out about how it all works and somebody already involved takes them under their wing and facilitates getting them IN.
    ..... hopefully at some point a conversion is made to case #1, and the facilitator no longer needed

For reason #2, anybody already involved should devote some of their energy to that goal.

The folks that help occasionally are also quite appreciated, many hands make light work!
    Last edited by Polarizer; 08-14-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Two things motive people.

1- money
    2- losing something

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Two things motive people.

1- money
    2- losing something

Good luck
    So what motivates the current volunteers if it's only those two things that motivate?

So what motivates the current volunteers if it's only those two things that motivate?
    You didn't really think about it before asking the question then did ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Drift Breaker View Post
    You didn't really think about it before asking the question then did ya?
    instead of trying to turn this negative, how about you just answer or give some possible advise to help or just stay out of the conversation.

Default It's fairly obvious

The current volunteers don't want to lose the trail system that we have.

instead of trying to turn this negative, how about you just answer or give some possible advise to help or just stay out of the conversation.
    You see any of the current volunteers getting rich of the way the current system is?
    Gee, I guess then maybe it's #2???

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast