Thread: Kay Road Trail Question

Default Kay Road Trail Question

Went out the Kay Road Trail out of Redfield yesterday for the first time (which was groomed to perfection). Once on Kay Road we took a right and my GPS showed a trail that should have went to the right off of Kay Road shortly before getting to County Route 2. There was an old logging road there but no tracks on it and it looked like no one had rode it this year. We ended up just turing back but then once I got home and looked at the map it shows that maybe the trail is a little bit down County Route 2. I also see on the map that this trail heads to Dam Road and then loops up to Old State Road and up to the Gathering Place. Can someone familiar with this area let me know how much road riding is involved to get to the Gathering Place that way from Kay Road.

Went from Pulaski to Salmon River Falls on Monday. Broke trail the whole way. I then proceeded down Dam road to Route 2. At that intersection the bank was 7 foot tall and going down was not bad but couldn't imagine trying going up it the direction you were coming from. I have never found a trail from Dam road to Kay without just going down the side of Route 2 for a mile or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Without Yamaha I would have no reason to groom
    Proud drinker of Doolaid
    Kasoag Trailblazers

Quote Originally Posted by juiced10 View Post
    Went from Pulaski to Salmon River Falls on Monday. Broke trail the whole way. I then proceeded down Dam road to Route 2. At that intersection the bank was 7 foot tall and going down was not bad but couldn't imagine trying going up it the direction you were coming from. I have never found a trail from Dam road to Kay without just going down the side of Route 2 for a mile or so.
    That picture is worth a thousand words.

To the original poster, when you come out to Rt 2 the first time on S43 (Kay Rd), technically, you have to ride Rt 2 for about 500 feet before you get on the trail again on the other side of the road. It is plowed, but snow/ice covered, road.

The other option is what everyone else does...cross the road and take the outlaw trail through the woods, which then spits you out on to the trail mentioned above. Keep going, and you will end up at Salmon Hills (now Tug Hill Resort).

However...before you ever get to Rt 2...there is a fork in the trail that, if you take a right on, will take you to Jackson Rd (plowed, and not the same Jackson Rd as north Redfield). The trail has never been completed from that spot. You would have to take Co Rt 2 all the way Dam Rd, which you might not even see based on Jason's (Juiced 10) pic. From there, you can go to S42 (?)/S51 which will take either to Little John or Richland.
    Or, you take Jackson to Carpenter Rd or Beecherville, something like that, and eventually you'll end up on New Scriba Rd which will eventually bring you to Little John.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.