Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Want more Law Enforcement on the trails??

Default Uninsured underinsured sledders

Quote Originally Posted by firecat12 View Post
    Probably over 50% of the state riding has been located on the hill and how many fatalities have been on the hill this season? I think I have heard of 3 out of over 20 state wide? I agree one is too many, but the finger can not be pointed solely at the hill. I think the two most dangerous areas in the state year in and year out are 10 mile crossing and Stillwater Road. I feel just as safe on the hill as I do in Old Forge or in between the hill and there. In Old Forge and Moose River Plains this season I think I have seen more people on the wrong side in corners than I have on the hill.

Sure the sport could certainly be more safe but I dont think the numbers show that it has gotten more dangerous in recent years. My personal feeling is that safety courses and radaring are not the answer at all. More LEO's solely focused on giving out some hefty fines to riders on the wrong side of the trail (worst thing for our sport) is without a doubt the way to make it safer for all. The best spot to do it would be to start with the 50% of riders who dont stay on their side in 10 mile crossing.

Better yet how about a state movement to not allow collision coverage on sleds. What ever happened to taking responsibility for your own actions. I bet this would slow down some of the punks on the wrong side of the trail knowing that if they cause an accident they would be out $12-$16K. I know, this one is far fetched, but it would help a lot!
    Probably the worst offenders are guys who are an insurance risk, (DWI, speeding tickets, etc.)and their premiums are high, so they may have low liability limits, or let their insurance lapse and if they hit you then your own insurance may have to pay your medical costs.
    Lost wages?
    Forget it.
    Formerly "Middle Aged Sled Guy":

Quote Originally Posted by "not quite over the hill guy" View Post
    Probably the worst offenders are guys who are an insurance risk, (DWI, speeding tickets, etc.)and their premiums are high, so they may have low liability limits, or let their insurance lapse and if they hit you then your own insurance may have to pay your medical costs.
    Lost wages?
    Forget it.
    I agree, so maybe the NYSSA should partner with a major insurance company and make $500,000 Liability coverage part of your registration just like in Quebec.

I agree, so maybe the NYSSA should partner with a major insurance company and make $500,000 Liability coverage part of your registration just like in Quebec.
    ok, sure.

"partner" ?? not gonna happen. the NYSSA policy indemnifys landowners and clubs now and guess what, there arent many lawsuits filed. that coverage is cheap because there arent any awards against land owners or clubs.

this wont work for individuals and if it did, it means that coverage would be crazy expensive. never gonna happen. ever.

all of these unfortunate accidents will end up in court and the insurance company will have to defend and settle.
    if it can be shown that someone is negligent or "at fault", then that company will pay the claimant the limits of the policy if there is a threshold injury or death.

given that, sled insurance prices will continue to increase as the number of lawsuits and the hp/weight ratio continue to increase.

like everything else with this problem, it comes down to personal choices. what coverage you choose to carry is your call. that can't be legislated either.

keep this in mind, in ny state, you DO NOT have to insure a boat. think about that one. no insurance requirement to operate a 30 ft 800 hp boat.
    11 XR1200 renegade X
    08 XP sdi X
    04 rev sdi X xps II

proud member of KASOAG trailblazers and huge supporter of our excellent groomer operators !!

please SUPPORT your local club. lend a hand and help out. YOU can make a difference.

PLEASE ride on your side NOT MINE. Stay to the RIGHT especially on the turns. if you drift left, someone gets hurt.

YOU DONT RIDE ?? then i see absolutely no reason to talk to you.

[QUOTE=mxz99;225155]ok, sure.

All I am saying is that it seems to work in Quebec. If you buy a permit it includes $500,000 in liability coverage. So only those riding without a permit could be uninsured or underinsured. And if they are caught without a permit I think it's about $600.

Probably over 50% of the state riding has been located on the hill and how many fatalities have been on the hill this season? I think I have heard of 3 out of over 20 state wide? I agree one is too many, but the finger can not be pointed solely at the hill. I think the two most dangerous areas in the state year in and year out are 10 mile crossing and Stillwater Road. I feel just as safe on the hill as I do in Old Forge or in between the hill and there. In Old Forge and Moose River Plains this season I think I have seen more people on the wrong side in corners than I have on the hill.

Sure the sport could certainly be more safe but I dont think the numbers show that it has gotten more dangerous in recent years. My personal feeling is that safety courses and radaring are not the answer at all. More LEO's solely focused on giving out some hefty fines to riders on the wrong side of the trail (worst thing for our sport) is without a doubt the way to make it safer for all. The best spot to do it would be to start with the 50% of riders who dont stay on their side in 10 mile crossing.

Better yet how about a state movement to not allow collision coverage on sleds. What ever happened to taking responsibility for your own actions. I bet this would slow down some of the punks on the wrong side of the trail knowing that if they cause an accident they would be out $12-$16K. I know, this one is far fetched, but it would help a lot!
    Who's to say where you should be on the trail ? Where is the center line and the right edge ? Most people ride down the center known as cow pathers. I know you and everybody else rides all the way to the right and never down the middle it's a well known fact at least I would say 95% ride down the middle.If you don't believe me go out after a new snow of about 1or 2 feet and look at where the track is it's not the whole trail that's for sure. Every groomer operator that rides knows the best part of the trail is all the way to the right as far as you can go because nobody rides there. There are spots ,seasonal roads where you could groom both sides and leave a medium in the center giving riders there own lane but we all know the morons would blow through it in the curves taking the inside. Monday when I was out grooming a 12 foot wide trail was cut down to one sled wide with a 5 foot bank. Maybe that's the answer leave a medium (no trail has to be 3 pans wide) so you have your own lane to ride on then people could be fined for going down a one way. I see it all the time I go down the right with the groomer and sleds passing me on the left can't wait to get by me and there all the way to there left on the fresh groomed side.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Thumbs down uninsured riders

Quote Originally Posted by mxz99 View Post
    ok, sure.

"partner" ?? not gonna happen. the NYSSA policy indemnifys landowners and clubs now and guess what, there arent many lawsuits filed. that coverage is cheap because there arent any awards against land owners or clubs.

this wont work for individuals and if it did, it means that coverage would be crazy expensive. never gonna happen. ever.

all of these unfortunate accidents will end up in court and the insurance company will have to defend and settle.
    if it can be shown that someone is negligent or "at fault", then that company will pay the claimant the limits of the policy if there is a threshold injury or death.

given that, sled insurance prices will continue to increase as the number of lawsuits and the hp/weight ratio continue to increase.

like everything else with this problem, it comes down to personal choices. what coverage you choose to carry is your call. that can't be legislated either.

keep this in mind, in ny state, you DO NOT have to insure a boat. think about that one. no insurance requirement to operate a 30 ft 800 hp boat.
    scenario 1, actually not far fetched these days;
    Johnny Jerkoff is 30, lives at home, has a crack cocaine problem so he is broke, Mom & Dad are happy he found something to interest him, he likes to snowmobile,they buy him a sled, he hits the trails uninsured because he skipped his last payment, so his insurance was canceled, he takes off down Little John Drive, gets carried away, drifts left and takes me out, puts me in the hospital, I am out of work for 9 months.
    I had to airlifted, intensive care and hospital bills close to $175,000, he walked away, doesn't care.
    takes me a year to recover...
    my lost wages cannot be recovered, he is an adult, has no assets, can't sue Mom & Dad.
    My uninsured motorist policy had to cover it so the insurance company drops me and my rates go up.

the insurance industry estimates 1 out of 8 people on the road are uninsured, I know they want to sell policies, but that is a good reason to be sure you have all your limits up , including uninsured motorists, I have an umbrella policy to cover my liability up to $1,000,000.
    but I feel I am going broke being overinsured on 2 boats, 1 car, 1 truck,camper house & sled, just to try and protect myself.

Quebec raised their liabilty policy to $1,000,000 this year,
    now who's got their sh!t together?
    Last edited by "not quite over the hill guy"; 02-22-2017 at 07:19 PM.
    Formerly "Middle Aged Sled Guy":

Unhappy

keep this in mind, in ny state, you DO NOT have to insure a boat. think about that one. no insurance requirement to operate a 30 ft 800 hp boat.[/QUOTE]

My boat is 30' but only 400 hp! I still have full coverage on it tho!! 😆

I'm overinsured, but I sleep well at night.

With my umbrella, I am up to $1.5 million total in liability; lots of PIP, SUM, SUI or whatever the abbreviation is.

Disability insurance for lost work time; good health insurance should take care of the hospital bills.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

Responsible property owners 99.9% of the time will be overinsured... they would be dumb not to be.

It's the knotheads who have nothing to loose who are out on the trails with no insurance, registration or life that you need to worry about because they live at home with mom and dad and can buy a 800cc sled for $150 a month because the dealers/manufactureres will finance it and don't give a rat's azz that the kid will drop the insurance after the first payment.
    "Persistent Violator"

Quote Originally Posted by "not quite over the hill guy" View Post
    Made some calls,
    Thank you
    Im confused, wait... maybe i'm not.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast