Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Want more Law Enforcement on the trails??

Quote Originally Posted by hamcotrailrider View Post
    Journal & Republican: Lewis officials continue rec patrol discussion behind closed doors
    http://www.journalandrepublican.com/...doors-20170331
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I would not have seen this article otherwise.

Big picture:
    Those that contacted legislators and law enforcement have had an impact. The fact that this discussion is occurring is a result of the handful of people on this site, semi-coordinated by Carol and Todd, that took the time to make a call and/or drop a line.

I have some experience in local politics...everyone complains, but few actually communicate with their representatives...therefore, those that do, get heard and responded to. This happens far more often than naysayers who think everything is fixed and they don't have a voice would care to acknowledge.

It is true - you CAN make a difference.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by TODDLB View Post
    When is the next meeting Carol ?
    April 4
    5pm
    Lowville court house

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    Or maybe they don't want the residents of Lewis county to know how much of their tax money they are going to have to spend on enforcement.

Seems to me that a properly administered enforcement program that actually wrote tickets and judges that upheld the law 100% instead of dismissal of summonses should pay for it's self and could actually make money and be positive cash flow for the county.
    "Persistent Violator"

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Seems to me that a properly administered enforcement program that actually wrote tickets and judges that upheld the law 100% instead of dismissal of summonses should pay for it's self and could actually make money and be positive cash flow for the county.

But what does it mean to uphold the law 100%? Do you feel that every ticket that is issued is a fair ticket? Citizens of the United States are still considered innocent until proven guilty. The court system is not supposed to be a tax collector whose job is to balance county budgets........ I understand that politicians would disagree with my last statement.

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    But what does it mean to uphold the law 100%? Do you feel that every ticket that is issued is a fair ticket? Citizens of the United States are still considered innocent until proven guilty. The court system is not supposed to be a tax collector whose job is to balance county budgets........ I understand that politicians would disagree with my last statement.
    IMO the only legitimate reason for dismissal would be if someone could not produce their paperwork and was able to prove that they actually were registered and insured at the time the summons was issued.

Speeding, Tresspassing (Riding off trail, etc.) SWI, Failure to keep right, Failure to display registration numbers and of course modified exhaust should be irrevocable offenses.
    They could also double all fines and court costs.

Also Failure to yield to groomer should be irrevocable of course.
    "Persistent Violator"

Quote Originally Posted by OrwellianCamper View Post
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I would not have seen this article otherwise.

Big picture:
    Those that contacted legislators and law enforcement have had an impact. The fact that this discussion is occurring is a result of the handful of people on this site, semi-coordinated by Carol and Todd, that took the time to make a call and/or drop a line.

I have some experience in local politics...everyone complains, but few actually communicate with their representatives...therefore, those that do, get heard and responded to. This happens far more often than naysayers who think everything is fixed and they don't have a voice would care to acknowledge.

It is true - you CAN make a difference.
    OC, you are correct. We CAN and DID. I was told this is a direct result of the phone calls, emails, and communication with LE and Legislators. Thanks to all who took the time to make a difference.

Carol, Do they have theses meetings every month or so ? It was to short of a notice for me to come up for the one yesterday.
    Im confused, wait... maybe i'm not.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456