Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Two more

Yes, I too like to line 'em up on a lake, BUT that's where it ends. Old timer, yes, but I do NOT race anyone on a wooded trail. Yes I will scoot along on a straightaway as long as I don't see anyone, SLOW down on curves and turns. HOWEVER, those I do see coming or encounter the other way sadly do not do the same. If I'm gonna die on a sled, I want it to be my fault and not the fault of another.

Just on news one more in Homer
    Groomer Master
    Groomer Operator
    Trail Boss
    former President

Quote Originally Posted by tsnow View Post
    Just on news one more in Homer
    HOMER (WSYR-TV) - One person is dead after a snowmobile crash in the town of Homer, according to the Cortland County Sheriff’s Office.

At 7p.m. on March 18, Sheriff’s Deputies responded to Chapman Road, Snowmobile Trail Number S57, located in the town of Homer where crash occurred.

Only one person was found to be operating the snowmobile that was traveling north. The operator of the snowmobile was pronounced dead at Cortland Regional Medical Center.

The name of the operator is being withheld pending notification of the next of kin.

The cause of the accident is still under investigation.

Assisting at the scene was TLC, Homer Fire Department, Truxton Fire Department, Seven Valley Snowgoers Snowmobile Club and CNY Towing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I agree 100%... We were only in the sport for a short time compared to some of you but between 1995 and 2015 something happened and it wasn't good IMO.
    Was it televised snow cross? The X Games? The SkiDoo Rev and following sleds that could soak up the bumps and the speed/horspower wars? Better grooming?

Whatever the catalyst... it was not good...
    all the above + the social elements of irresponsibility, self-absorption, entitlement, like never seen in previous ~30-35 and under populations

exponentially worse in relative terms, I blame technology, think about it in relation to the above

though of the three mentioned by Phantom, the REV.
    Game/sport changer, absolutely HUGE, I still don't think it's common to realize even well more than a decade later, how HUGE.

I'm eating cheerios. I like them.

I've ridden about 2500 miles this season and am not seeing more aggressive riding than 20 years ago. The biggest difference now is we have boards like this and facebook to post every close call and accident so we are hearing about a lot more. 20 years ago you heard about the accidents in and around your hometown and that's only if you read the paper. Are the accident statistics up this year other than ice fall throughs? Dont get me wrong I understand this is a dangerous sport and not to be taken for granted for one second, but I haven't seen the change you are all talking about. In fact I think the opposite and that the trails seem safer than they were in 2000-2005 ish.

Quote Originally Posted by blizz1 View Post
    Maybe you should stay off of this site too. I'm sure most people including me is sick of your a-hole comments... Maybe you should have a little respect for someone who just lost there life.
    who the hell are you' mabe you have no clue what it takes to give you trails to go crazy on! I know; I was there almost 15 yrs grooming and doing trail work all summer! have you ever done anything for the sport; ever done anything for your country? prob not on both accounts! me and many old guys did the work and can't ride because of a holes! when snowmobilers leave their families; hug them like its the last time; because it very well could be. we need more enforcement! too many clueless out there ! too many crybabies!
    if i said it once, i'll say it again. what was it i said?

Quote Originally Posted by firecat12 View Post
    I've ridden about 2500 miles this season and am not seeing more aggressive riding than 20 years ago. The biggest difference now is we have boards like this and facebook to post every close call and accident so we are hearing about a lot more. 20 years ago you heard about the accidents in and around your hometown and that's only if you read the paper. Are the accident statistics up this year other than ice fall throughs? Dont get me wrong I understand this is a dangerous sport and not to be taken for granted for one second, but I haven't seen the change you are all talking about. In fact I think the opposite and that the trails seem safer than they were in 2000-2005 ish.
    I gotta disagree with the aggressive riding statement. Far worse IMO and yes the WWW does spread news faster good and bad.

Remember 15 years ago we had 50-70,000 more sled registered with less or the same accident/deathes.

Quote Originally Posted by firecat12 View Post
    I keep hearing how dangerous the sport is .The sport is only as dangerous as you make it. When I was in the service we went through 3 safety checks before our butts stood in the door and jumped. Some say jumping out of a perfectly good air plane is dangerous but believe me it was safer than riding your sled down the trails now days. That's what the morons have made it.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Quote Originally Posted by Loner 618 View Post
    I keep hearing how dangerous the sport is .The sport is only as dangerous as you make it. When I was in the service we went through 3 safety checks before our butts stood in the door and jumped. Some say jumping out of a perfectly good air plane is dangerous but believe me it was safer than riding your sled down the trails now days. That's what the morons have made it.
    its not me making the sport dangerous when someone comes around a corner on my side of the trail or passes you almost hitting your handlebars; or close head-ons! ed, its not as dangerous as I make it! I watch these people coming across my fields [posted 25mph] and still closed ; they gotta be going 90 mph; louder than hell! its not the same sport! maybe I'm just getting old! ride em like the law is right around the corner!
    if i said it once, i'll say it again. what was it i said?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast