Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Volunteering

Default Volunteering

I often wondered , Is volunteering something that is natural in us or is it something we learn? We often talk about getting more volunteers but how do we do that? I know myself I volunteered to go into the service so that I wasn't drafted ,I then volunteered to go airborne,I then volunteered for Ranger training. I also remember volunteering for things when I was in school.
    So is this something that is not being taught to our younger generation or is this a dying trait in them? Do we really live in the It's all about me generation? As we have said the volunteers of this sport aren't getting any younger. So many questions.
    Last edited by Loner 618; 03-28-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Loner 618 View Post
    I often wondered , Is volunteering something that is something that is natural in us or is it something we learn? We often talk about getting more volunteers but how do we do that? I know myself I volunteered to go into the service so that I wasn't drafted ,I then volunteered to go airborne,I then volunteered for Ranger training. I also remember volunteering for things when I was in school.
    So is this something that is not being taught to our younger generation or is this a dying trait in them? Do we really live in the It's all about me generation? As we have said the volunteers of this sport aren't getting any younger. So many questions.
    I think that a small percentage of people are predisposed to being more likely to volunteer, but for the most part it is a learned behavior. I think that most people are very uncomfortable stepping outside of there comfort zone and meeting new people or getting involved in new groups. My experiences with other people who volunteer for various groups is that they are very passionate about what they are doing. I just wonder if most people aren't very passionate about anything that they do?

I started because of what I read on here.

(the non-whiney stuff, that is)

Roady made me do it........seriously

I am not a poser anymore!
    Without Yamaha I would have no reason to groom
    Proud drinker of Doolaid
    Kasoag Trailblazers

I started Volunteering 18 years ago.
    Groomer Master
    Groomer Operator
    Trail Boss
    former President

I really think that a lot of times people look at it as a quid pro quo I'll do this for you if you do that for me, that's not volunteering your expecting restitution. In other post it was mentioned giving members a break on membership dues if they volunteer again restitution . Another thing is if it wasn't for that person I'd help. Is that a reason or and excuse? You would think if they really wanted to help they would just avoid that person or tell them like it is, and that is there doing what they do for the good of the club so just stay away from me. I really believe being a volunteer is a inherited trait.
    1% er

I often wondered , Is volunteering something that is natural in us or is it something we learn? We often talk about getting more volunteers but how do we do that? I know myself I volunteered to go into the service so that I wasn't drafted ,I then volunteered to go airborne,I then volunteered for Ranger training. I also remember volunteering for things when I was in school.
    First off, thank you for your service.

Your position on volunteering seems contradictory. You're saying you "volunteered" for a job. Didn't you get paid? You also say you volunteered for different positions within your branch- also getting paid. Going into the service isn't volunteering but it I greatly appreciate those who chose that CAREER path.

To answer your question- I think true volunteering is something natural. I think if someone tries to "teach" you how to volunteer, you're either doing it because you feel you need to do it to make something better or because you're trying to gain something from it. Everyone who volunteers for the trail system does it to gain better trails or to have influence on the system.

Parents and adults can instill volunteerism in children when they are young. If children see older friends and relatives volunteer for things they will feel like it's the natural thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustacherider19 View Post
    First off, thank you for your service.

Your position on volunteering seems contradictory. You're saying you "volunteered" for a job. Didn't you get paid? You also say you volunteered for different positions within your branch- also getting paid. Going into the service isn't volunteering but it I greatly appreciate those who chose that CAREER path.

To answer your question- I think true volunteering is something natural. I think if someone tries to "teach" you how to volunteer, you're either doing it because you feel you need to do it to make something better or because you're trying to gain something from it. Everyone who volunteers for the trail system does it to gain better trails or to have influence on the system.
    Thank you it was my honor. Yes I did get paid if that's what you want to call it $347.00 a month. It was a time when you could role the dice. I choose to volunteer so I could chose my own path and not let Uncle Sam chose it for me. For a lot it didn't work out well. Myself I'm a train reck.
    1% er

Thank you it was my honor. Yes I did get paid if that's what you want to call it $347.00 a month. It was a time when you could role the dice. I choose to volunteer so I could chose my own path and not let Uncle Sam chose it for me. For a lot it didn't work out well. Myself I'm a train reck.
    its the way it was; when I first got in ; the pay was about 12C per hr! we were on duty 24/7 ; now devide that up 'lol ! minimum wage was 2 bucks an hr when I went in 65 thru sept 69 ! yes we were volunteers; infact i got my draft notice while in my second year in Vietnam! it said to report to my hometown ; my commanding officer wouldn't let me go; lol! so that tells me i definitely would not have missed the draft! 618 and i WERE VOLUNTEERS !
    if i said it once, i'll say it again. what was it i said?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast