Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volunteering

Quote Originally Posted by tsnow View Post
    I started Volunteering 18 years ago.
    Shortly after I join and started volunteering my son also did and now I have both of my sons a son inlaw daughter and two grand sons that are all very active in the club
    Groomer Master
    Groomer Operator
    Trail Boss
    former President

I started by default. I use to drag a old box spring mattress weighted down to groom the trail i had cut in the woods to link to the trail system by my house. After doing that I started helping out the club. Its a good time with a bunch of ppl working together.

Quote Originally Posted by Doo's and donts View Post
    I started by default. I use to drag a old box spring mattress weighted down to groom the trail i had cut in the woods to link to the trail system by my house. After doing that I started helping out the club. Its a good time with a bunch of ppl working together.
    That's what a lot of people don't understand or they don't want to understand. We as active members need to welcome all new bees and make it so they don't feel like outsiders. You hear so many times someone goes to a meeting no one gives them the time of day then the next thing out of there mouths is I'll never go back.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

I actually never made it to any meetings due to my work schedule. I work nights or 2nd shift so I couldn't be there but got filled in. I didn't really want to be involved in the club business besides helping out. I could see how it can be intimidating to ppl who have never been. Alot of ppl who have been in clubs a long time or old timers don't always embrace change even if that's a new face. I use to get it when I first started going to the club. I know this tho it was nothing a few beers didn't solve lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Doo's and donts View Post
    I actually never made it to any meetings due to my work schedule. I work nights or 2nd shift so I couldn't be there but got filled in. I didn't really want to be involved in the club business besides helping out. I could see how it can be intimidating to ppl who have never been. Alot of ppl who have been in clubs a long time or old timers don't always embrace change even if that's a new face. I use to get it when I first started going to the club. I know this tho it was nothing a few beers didn't solve lol.
    Change is a fine line to walk. So many times a new person will have a idea that has already been tried. How do you tell them every time they come up with a idea been there done that before they get discouraged and they say they just won't listen to me and quit?
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

I agree with that and leave that up to the board. I just wait for them to tell me what they need help with. They say "we are replacing or fixing the bridge" and I'm there. Or we need a pancake flipper for breakfast, you may need to deal with a couple burnt ones but I got ya. I just like doing it and wish I could help with other clubs as well. The house I rent from a guy in west lyden every presidents day week, its the only time I'm on the hill for the most part unless the snow dictates otherwise. I would love to be able to help with clubs out that way besides doing an occasional poker run or throwing money in the boxes at the bars. I would hope that ppl who don't or cant volunteer can at least help in that way.

"I would love to be able to help with clubs out that way besides doing an occasional poker run or throwing money in the boxes at the bars. I would hope that ppl who don't or cant volunteer can at least help in that way.[/QUOTE]

I try to do three things on the trails while sledding. Either moving a rock, kicking the snow off a stop sign or zip tying one up. Putting up hazard warning tape. Even stop to cut a few face slappers. I don't do them all for sure. but at least three. If every sledder did that, well........

I offen wonder how much of that money people put in foxes or jars at the bar really makes it to the clubs
    Groomer Master
    Groomer Operator
    Trail Boss
    former President

Quote Originally Posted by tsnow View Post
    I offen wonder how much of that money people put in foxes or jars at the bar really makes it to the clubs
    I'm sure there are plenty of sticky fingers in the bars. No one keeps track of it so how would you ever know what had been stolen?

Alot of the boxes do have small locks on them but all in all, I don't really know. I hope it all does because minus volunteering that's what I can do. I also do try and help the trail as I go doing small things like removing things I think I removed more clothes then anything this year lol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast