Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volunteering

Quote Originally Posted by tsnow View Post
    I offen wonder how much of that money people put in foxes or jars at the bar really makes it to the clubs
    I know that it's not practical but you'd be better off putting a check made out to the club in there.

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    I know that it's not practical but you'd be better off putting a check made out to the club in there.
    Or just do a secondary membership at a club or two most clubs it only $24 at most clubs for a secondary membership and that does make it to a club
    Groomer Master
    Groomer Operator
    Trail Boss
    former President

Quote Originally Posted by oko View Post
    "I would love to be able to help with clubs out that way besides doing an occasional poker run or throwing money in the boxes at the bars. I would hope that ppl who don't or cant volunteer can at least help in that way.
    I try to do three things on the trails while sledding. Either moving a rock, kicking the snow off a stop sign or zip tying one up. Putting up hazard warning tape. Even stop to cut a few face slappers. I don't do them all for sure. but at least three. If every sledder did that, well........[/QUOTE]

Great example.
    If everyone picked up one rock or stick or cut one branch for each day they ride we would run out of them in half a season.

As far as another's mention of money in donation boxes. My opinion and experience has been few put anything in them but many say they do.

You're probably right most ppl probably do say that they do. I always try and get my friends to throw money at the clubs but never see if they do. Then again I have guys who pay full registration and don't even join a club. I try to buy things from the different clubs, hat, hoodie, shirt, I know they may not make a ton of of it but it could help. Plus I enjoy having stuff that shows where I've ridden or ride. I have people ask me about my Illion Snowdrifters hoodie more then I would think especially given where I've been when they asked me.

It seem to me that once you get a new volunteer out on the trail work with others they get talking and start to feel like there part of the group and there is a good chance they will be back.
    Groomer Master
    Groomer Operator
    Trail Boss
    former President

Default Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Mustacherider19 View Post
    First off, thank you for your service.

Your position on volunteering seems contradictory. You're saying you "volunteered" for a job. Didn't you get paid? You also say you volunteered for different positions within your branch- also getting paid. Going into the service isn't volunteering but it I greatly appreciate those who chose that CAREER path.

To answer your question- I think true volunteering is something natural. I think if someone tries to "teach" you how to volunteer, you're either doing it because you feel you need to do it to make something better or because you're trying to gain something from it. Everyone who volunteers for the trail system does it to gain better trails or to have influence on the system.
    I kept thinking about what you posted so I looked to see what Webster has to say.
    A volunteer is some one that offers to enter into any service , esp. military of his own free will. 2 Offers or give of one's free will.
    So I will be the first to admit I was wrong if I am and I was wrong in saying you should expect restitution for being a volunteer. It said nothing about it.
    Last edited by Loner 618; 03-29-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Quote Originally Posted by tsnow View Post
    It seem to me that once you get a new volunteer out on the trail work with others they get talking and start to feel like there part of the group and there is a good chance they will be back.
    I've seen that in many cases; we joined the club mabe 15 years ago or more; my son volunteerd to help pu a transmision in a groomer; he got there and nobody was there; tranny was there still in the crate; two hrs later when hlp arrived he had just finished putting the fluid in and they took it for a test drive; he been grooming ever since; he's been president of the club around 10 yrs. if you work with these people you know what is going on; some wind up using some of the guys camps; just helping is great
    if i said it once, i'll say it again. what was it i said?

Default Volunteer/distance.

I have bought this up before,
    since I sold my camp in Osceola I have no place to stay on Tughill now, I still ride there, and are willing to help out with trail work, while I typically don't go up during summer if there is a need for help on a project I would be willing to drive 2 -1/2 hours to help, however if the only help needed is to use brushnippers for an hour and then be done I really don't want to drive 5 hours in a day for that, I have helped clubs out with big projects that lasted 2 days, I have shown up for other clubs workdays and worked for an hour or 2 and was done.
    Now if I still had my camp a short workday is fine, but if I am driving up and driving home or staying overnight then keep me busy and work my butt off, I won't complain!
    Just please, list the workdays with the big projects, I am sure there are others from Pa. and elsewhere that feel the same.
    And if it is just a short work day, let those of us without camps or don't live nearby know so we can decide if it is worth the drive.
    Formerly "Middle Aged Sled Guy":

Quote Originally Posted by "not quite over the hill guy" View Post
    I have bought this up before,
    since I sold my camp in Osceola I have no place to stay on Tughill now, I still ride there, and are willing to help out with trail work, while I typically don't go up during summer if there is a need for help on a project I would be willing to drive 2 -1/2 hours to help, however if the only help needed is to use brushnippers for an hour and then be done I really don't want to drive 5 hours in a day for that, I have helped clubs out with big projects that lasted 2 days, I have shown up for other clubs workdays and worked for an hour or 2 and was done.
    Now if I still had my camp a short workday is fine, but if I am driving up and driving home or staying overnight then keep me busy and work my butt off, I won't complain!
    Just please, list the workdays with the big projects, I am sure there are others from Pa. and elsewhere that feel the same.
    And if it is just a short work day, let those of us without camps or don't live nearby know so we can decide if it is worth the drive.
    You bring up a good point that I have wondered how to handle.
    We have people that come to workdays and only want to work 2 or 3 hours and that's it, and aren't happy when they end up out in the woods brushing for 8 hours.
    I have seen others who have come wanting to put in a full day and I later heard they were disappointed that they ended up working only a few hours.
    How do you tell which is which if they don't say anything?

I also hear over and over that everyone wants to come spend a full day and build a bridge or some other such large project. But the reality is at least on our trails that manual brushing is one of the most needed and labor intensive things, yet many seem to feel that it's beneath them. So you send them out to cut brush on a trail that should take 3 guys working hard 2 plus full days to brush and trim properly, and they come back 2 or 3 hours later and say it's all set.

Quote Originally Posted by 600SDI View Post
    You bring up a good point that I have wondered how to handle.
    We have people that come to workdays and only want to work 2 or 3 hours and that's it, and aren't happy when they end up out in the woods brushing for 8 hours.
    I have seen others who have come wanting to put in a full day and I later heard they were disappointed that they ended up working only a few hours.
    How do you tell which is which if they don't say anything?

I also hear over and over that everyone wants to come spend a full day and build a bridge or some other such large project. But the reality is at least on our trails that manual brushing is one of the most needed and labor intensive things, yet many seem to feel that it's beneath them. So you send them out to cut brush on a trail that should take 3 guys working hard 2 plus full days to brush and trim properly, and they come back 2 or 3 hours later and say it's all set.
    I can see the paradox is this situation, maybe plan a long day for those who drive a distance, and a short day for those that prefer that instead?
    Brushing does get boring fast, about as exciting as washing dishes.
    Putting in culverts or bridges is more fun.
    Formerly "Middle Aged Sled Guy":

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast