Thread: 2016-2017 Season

Default 2016-2017 Season

Many people around the Northeast and even right here in CNY complained about this riding season. Granted we could have done without the 4-5 consecutive days in February with 60+ degrees and rain, and the other warm spells, but the riding on the hill started in spots on or about November 22nd and there still is rideable snow now. From about December 20th-now there was never a day without rideable snow on the hill. Here are a few pics of what I consider a great snow season! The first one is November 23rd and the last is March 30th and a few in between. Just under 3000 miles on the year and counting but the miles are nothing compared to the memories built with the wife, friends, and most importantly the kiddos!

Name:  IMG_7380.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  19.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_9004.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  14.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_9014.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  10.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_8853.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  22.0 KB
    Name:  Old Railroad.jpg
Size:  10.3 KB
    Last edited by firecat12; 03-31-2017 at 12:28 PM.

No complaints here, 3800 smiles for the season! 700 in Quebec and 3100 right here in New York, all good!
    Lafayette Trail Riders
    Snow Valley Riders
    Tully Trail Blazers
    Redfield Snowmobile Association

well you guys are LUCKY you have access to them or can afford the long drives and time needed to

here in MY area, my local trails were open about 10 days,(and talking the whole season) and of the 10 days, had good snow for MAYBE about 5 of them, rest was iffy at best, and trails never stayed open more than a full 7 days in a row??

I managed to get in about 500 miles, on 2 trips to NY and then totaled my main sled, which dropped me out of the game for the season, or might have done more

but 5+ hr drives towing a sled,( I towed my sleds 3200 miles in the trailer this yr LOL) but they get old and costly when you don;t get snow in your home area

all snow that fell at my place was gone in a week too, even got 27 inches in last storm, and was GONE in 7 days, local trails opened on a Wed after that dump,
    and then closed Sunday, a whole 3 days of open trails and were not groomed till about Friday,and then the army showed up and that was the season here ??
    SO< again, you guys with meg miles and in the snow area's, your a LOT luckier than you might think you are!
    this is my last ride on a back up sled, on March 16th 2017
    last yr my trails NEVER opened a single day period, SO< 2016-2017 was a better season, but NOT by much here??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mrbbb; 03-31-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firecat12 View Post
    Many people around the Northeast and even right here in CNY complained about this riding season. Granted we could have done without the 4-5 consecutive days in February with 60+ degrees and rain, and the other warm spells, but the riding on the hill started in spots on or about November 22nd and there still is rideable snow now. From about December 20th-now there was never a day without rideable snow on the hill. Here are a few pics of what I consider a great snow season! The first one is November 23rd and the last is March 30th and a few in between. Just under 3000 miles on the year and counting but the miles are nothing compared to the memories built with the wife, friends, and most importantly the kiddos!

Name:  IMG_7380.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  19.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_9004.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  14.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_9014.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  10.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_8853.jpg
Size:  22.0 KB
    Name:  Old Railroad.jpg
Size:  10.3 KB
    That a great year firecat12. I was lucky enough to get 1500 miles. Where do you live? I am assuming you must live close or have a camp. Yes it was a pretty good year and you are correct with the snow on tug hill.

3,640 miles this season. About 3,200 miles around central NY, and the Tug hill. Put 440 miles on in the West Yellowstone area. I only ride mid week. Tug hill was usually great this winter. EXCEPTIONAL job done by STH, Valley, and Turin. Can't complain too much, as it was a lot better then last year.

There was plenty of snow this winter...parts of Tug Hill exceeded 300"...Redfield was even flirting with the overall total snowfall record of 400+" at one point; not sure where the total is now. Carol, what is the total?!?! That being said, the average temperature for the region was significantly higher than normal, with only a handful of mornings below zero.

The problem, obviously, was the temperatures. Due to a lack of cold air from central and northern Canada, as a result of last year's blast furnace El Nino and the resulting residual warmth last summer and fall, and no blocking, we couldn't get that cold and certainly could not keep it in place longer than about two weeks.

I rode about 1,500 miles myself, and I own a camp on the periphery of the Hill. That is double what I rode last year (15-16), but it sure didn't feel like it. Maybe it is because we mostly stayed local, with a vast majority of those miles on the Kasoag, Redfield and Osceola systems. I think the farthest we went was Copenhagen. Oh, wait, we did make it to Whiskey Jacks for the first time in years, and close to Rome on that 60 F day in February. That was one of the best rides of the season. Also, the season was so fragmented, it seems liked several short seasons all in one. Furthermore, I don't have the motivation I used to have to pile up the miles.

Most clubs busted their arses all season, fighting against the warm ups and struggling to keep their trails rideable. Flatland clubs may never have opened, second year in a row. My home club, Webster, calculated their trails open in hours, not days or weeks. I will be pulling signs with them tomorrow.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being best with nonstop riding December through late March, I would put this winter at a 4. Last winter (15-16) was a 1.

The best year in my approximately 20 seasons of riding was 2002-03. That would rank a 9/10, with only one warm up in late December. 2010-11 was awesome as well; that was the first at camp. Both were well over 3,000 mile seasons for me.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

It was a great winter for TUG HILL and the ADK's the rest of us really got nothing! Trails at home were open maybe 1 day in December and then 5 days after the last dump. RT 104 and some CNY and South of the TWAY clubs maybe got another week or two at the most of being open... I managed 1200 miles or so but I wouldn't call that a great season by any means!
    RIDE ON YOUR SIDE