Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Information, Insurance; and Repair information for all....

Arrow Trailer Information, Insurance; and Repair information for all....

First, Many think their trailer is covered by the insurance on their car, or truck... this is only partially correct!
    Your primary insurance does cover Liability if you are towing a non commercial (ie snowmobile or boat) trailer.... If the trailer hits another vehicle, or property, your insurer should cover it..... BUT:
    It does NOT cover any damage (to your) trailer! I found this out this season when a mishap caused some damage while transporting my sleds. My truck, and all the sleds in the trailer were covered by NYSSA's preferred provider (Nationwide) who I have used for many years, and am very satisfied with (Their Claims servicing and communication are top notch!) However; the sleds were not damaged at all; but my trailer was! And; because it was not specifically listed on my policy (I got a newer box type unit last season) There was no coverage for the damage to the trailer...
    Don't make this mistake!!!
    The nicer, newer trailers many of us are getting these days can be very expensive to buy; and to repair. Bad road conditions; weather, hail, tree falls, and many other things can cause them harm- Do NOT ASSUME it will be covered!
    Ask your agent or broker!

That being said, and me learning an expensive lesson; I hope I can save others from making the same mistake!

The next thing I want to share is to tell you about the folks that rebuilt my damaged 2012 Trailer... KRISTY Trailer MFG. (Located in the Canastota Business Park; just West of the Rusty Rail on State Route 5)
    The good folks there Did me a real solid rebuilding a significant portion of my trailer- the repaired area looks bright & shiny, like new- and they matched up all the hardware & trim!
    Actually, it's better than new; because the manufacturer (Bendron) who built the trailer I got, which is only a few years used, is no longer in business- many of the newer, lighter box trailers are also built this way with a "Cheaper" type of construction! Instead of welded steel or aluminum frames, they use strips of bent sheetmetal to support the whole thing. They glue and screw the panels together, and it's like a uni-body car- if you take a hit; EVERYTHING gets pulled and torn out of shape!
    KRISTY had to cut away half a side, a small portion of the roof, and front corner... then they built a full welded steel cage frame, so now the trailer is better & stronger (I can safely hang gear cabinets on the re-built wall now!) They want me to share that they can replace axles, wheels, doors, sides, fenders, on any make trailer, and will detail, summerize, & Winterize your trailer too! They stock many spare parts, and welcome all NYSSA members to contact them for ALL your trailer needs!
    CNY SnowTravelers, member, [I]STEP Advisor, STEP Instructor. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CNY-Sn...ers-Snowmobile Club/166401330044126 Stay ON the trails - keep Right,Between the signs!
    If you have something positive to say, say it.....
    If you have some productive skills- Use them...
    If you think it can be better, help improve it....
    If all you want to do is whine, complain, and criticize...... SHUT IT!

Good info to know about trailers. I have a Kristi trailer. Biggest mistake I have made. While it's nice, they are lacking good customer service. I had a LED light go bad within a few months. Come to find out the wires were too short to make a good connection out of the frame. All of the wires were fed through the tiniest of holes. No grommets used whatsoever inside the channels. I pulled off the inside skin and found many wires were pulled to their limits to make connections. More would have chafed if I didn't give it attention. Blew a wheel bearing after a year. Had plenty of grease throughout the spindle. I gave up calling their number, when they choose to answer the phone. I'm glad you had good luck with them though.

Trailer insurance is cheap, added a policy for my blizzard inline and it was $12

Quote Originally Posted by Tughilldickie View Post
    Good info to know about trailers. I have a Kristi trailer. Biggest mistake I have made. While it's nice, they are lacking good customer service. I had a LED light go bad within a few months. Come to find out the wires were too short to make a good connection out of the frame. All of the wires were fed through the tiniest of holes. No grommets used whatsoever inside the channels. I pulled off the inside skin and found many wires were pulled to their limits to make connections. More would have chafed if I didn't give it attention. Blew a wheel bearing after a year. Had plenty of grease throughout the spindle. I gave up calling their number, when they choose to answer the phone. I'm glad you had good luck with them though.
    All trailers are wired this way, even the expensive ones...
    RIDE ON YOUR SIDE

Quote Originally Posted by EDGE6r View Post
    All trailers are wired this way, even the expensive ones...

I seem to remember my old Triton was more professional with the inner workings and details. I didn't go with them again due to the high praise of the Kristi trailers. Some of the heavy trailers I deal with at work are hit or miss also. I will go years without changing lights on one, and throw parts galore at another. We had one trailer that had the leaf springs installed backwards from the factory. The lack of customer service is what really turned me off about Kristi.

I had a Kristi trailer once and could get rid of it fast enough after the axle
    Fell off it within a year. Hopefully they figured it out by now and it's good to hear you made out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    I had a Kristi trailer once and could get rid of it fast enough after the axle
    Fell off it within a year. Hopefully they figured it out by now and it's good to hear you made out well.
    Nope! Still garbage. My brother in law has a 2013 7 x 14. His axles have moved and it dog tracks down the road now. Eats tires for breakfast. The rear steel uprights both snapped off at the bottoms and the upper corners had to have larger gussets welded in because the little 2 inch ones weren't strong enough to keep it from flexing. Which is the reason the lower ends snapped. He has to bungy strap his rear doors shut because it flexes so much they fly open. One of the other guys at work bought the same trailer in 2014 and has the same issues plus his side door is so out of wack it won't close. Junk! I have a 2002 7 x 16 Haulmark I use for work and that thing is solid as the day it was new. Other than some new brakes and a bit of corrosion around the lower rivets from the NY salt, it's had no issues and that trailer rolls a minimum of 500 miles a week.
    I see your playing stupid again... Looks like your winning too.

Don't you love nature, despite what it did to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sno Time View Post
    Nope! Still garbage. My brother in law has a 2013 7 x 14. His axles have moved and it dog tracks down the road now. Eats tires for breakfast. The rear steel uprights both snapped off at the bottoms and the upper corners had to have larger gussets welded in because the little 2 inch ones weren't strong enough to keep it from flexing. Which is the reason the lower ends snapped. He has to bungy strap his rear doors shut because it flexes so much they fly open. One of the other guys at work bought the same trailer in 2014 and has the same issues plus his side door is so out of wack it won't close. Junk! I have a 2002 7 x 16 Haulmark I use for work and that thing is solid as the day it was new. Other than some new brakes and a bit of corrosion around the lower rivets from the NY salt, it's had no issues and that trailer rolls a minimum of 500 miles a week.
    I am looking into a Wells Cargo next. They can custom build anything you want. Tons of options also. Friend of mine just bought a Lark trailer. He has hauled it to Florida twice with no issues. I would watch out for some trailers made south also. Some from Georgia or Alabama are as cheap as you can get. One year of our road salt and forget it. I hear some good and bad about Blizzard. Never owned one though.

Default Trailer service, repair, and fabrication

I know that I may not be the most personable guy on the forum, and I don't care. I actually don't like people in general, but, trailers are a very big part of my shop.

I'm in Goshen, N.Y. 10924. I don't care about you, so don't get offended, but I do care about my work. If anyone needs anything, feel free to PM me with a #, or you can call my shop at 845-294-2600. Please call until you speak to me, my voicemail is messed up.

I do not sell trailers, and I'm not trying to jack business from anyone. I can repair anything from a car dolly to a semi, and anything in between. (It's been known for me to fix r/c cars, and dishwashers, if I have the time)

Please do not take trailers for granted, it can kill people.
    I specialize in 12v (any electrical, really), and I have found, as previously stated, trailer manufacturers have no clue how to wire a trailer for longevity.

Every time I see or hear about an accident with a trailer.....

well I too found out trailers are insured but NOT
    I had a talk with my agent YRS back when I bought my first trailer and asked it if was covered, gave him Vin and all that on it
    so, off I went thinking all was good, as he said YUP your covered when I talked with him and gave him info

Little did he tell me, that it was ONLY covered IF attached to my vehicle?
    had trailer and sled on it, chained to a telephone pole at business I had parking lot, and someone came and stole both one night, called Ins and found out, trailer wasn't covered, as it wasn't attached to my vehicle??
    sled was so??
    he then went on to tell me, IF I wanted to ADD trailer as a self policy, it would have been $7.00 , yup seven bucks a yr to do so and it would have been covered??
    well, screw ME< had he told me that when I called him, WHY wouldn;t I have paid the 7 bucks??
    but he never told me and I never knew
    BUT sure do now, every trailer I have is added as its own deal, cheap too

but I know very few folks that add them, all gamble they will never need it?? CRAZY IMO< due to how cheap it really is to add it??

But live and learn as they say!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast