Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Information, Insurance; and Repair information for all....

Quote Originally Posted by mrbbb View Post
    well I too found out trailers are insured but NOT
    I had a talk with my agent YRS back when I bought my first trailer and asked it if was covered, gave him Vin and all that on it
    so, off I went thinking all was good, as he said YUP your covered when I talked with him and gave him info

Little did he tell me, that it was ONLY covered IF attached to my vehicle?
    had trailer and sled on it, chained to a telephone pole at business I had parking lot, and someone came and stole both one night, called Ins and found out, trailer wasn't covered, as it wasn't attached to my vehicle??
    sled was so??
    he then went on to tell me, IF I wanted to ADD trailer as a self policy, it would have been $7.00 , yup seven bucks a yr to do so and it would have been covered??
    well, screw ME< had he told me that when I called him, WHY wouldn;t I have paid the 7 bucks??
    but he never told me and I never knew
    BUT sure do now, every trailer I have is added as its own deal, cheap too

but I know very few folks that add them, all gamble they will never need it?? CRAZY IMO< due to how cheap it really is to add it??

But live and learn as they say!
    I hope you switched insurance agents.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider845 View Post
    I know that I may not be the most personable guy on the forum, and I don't care. I actually don't like people in general, but, trailers are a very big part of my shop.

I'm in Goshen, N.Y. 10924. I don't care about you, so don't get offended, but I do care about my work. If anyone needs anything, feel free to PM me with a #, or you can call my shop at 845-294-2600. Please call until you speak to me, my voicemail is messed up.

I do not sell trailers, and I'm not trying to jack business from anyone. I can repair anything from a car dolly to a semi, and anything in between. (It's been known for me to fix r/c cars, and dishwashers, if I have the time)

Please do not take trailers for granted, it can kill people.
    I specialize in 12v (any electrical, really), and I have found, as previously stated, trailer manufacturers have no clue how to wire a trailer for longevity.

Every time I see or hear about an accident with a trailer.....

If you were closer....I'm near Niagara Falls

After checking my 04 Triton clam shell I found the axle pushing into the frame. Lots of corrosion were the axle meets the frame.
    I'd like to find some aluminum channel that would slide over the 2 x 1 rectangle tubing that is on the trailer.
    Is there such a thing?
    Chris
    Orleans County Snowdrifters
    Shawnee Sno-Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by can-amsledder View Post

After checking my 04 Triton clam shell I found the axle pushing into the frame. Lots of corrosion were the axle meets the frame.
    I'd like to find some aluminum channel that would slide over the 2 x 1 rectangle tubing that is on the trailer.
    Is there such a thing?
    NOT exactly sure what your trying to do, but on my open 2 p[lace trailer, I replaced the Axle about 2 yrs ago, due to excessive corrosion where the axle mounts, meet the aluminum frame, and ate the steel off the mounts, and looked like it weakened the aluminum some, so, I got some aluminum plate, from a local metal shop, about 1/4 inch thick, and about 2 ft long, the width of the trailer aluminum frame
    and had a local welding shop weld them on the frame, to be a buffer like between the new axle mounts and the Frame, this way if any more reaction (aluminum/touching steel will have a chemical like reaction over time) from metal meeting aluminum happen, it won't be to the whole frame, just that piece I added

I also replaced the old axle with a new Dexter torsion , that I also had galvanized coating added to extend life of the axle then!

but there is NO reason you cannot add a piece of aluminum to your's

NOT exactly sure what your trying to do, but on my open 2 p[lace trailer, I replaced the Axle about 2 yrs ago, due to excessive corrosion where the axle mounts, meet the aluminum frame, and ate the steel off the mounts, and looked like it weakened the aluminum some, so, I got some aluminum plate, from a local metal shop, about 1/4 inch thick, and about 2 ft long, the width of the trailer aluminum frame
    and had a local welding shop weld them on the frame, to be a buffer like between the new axle mounts and the Frame, this way if any more reaction (aluminum/touching steel will have a chemical like reaction over time) from metal meeting aluminum happen, it won't be to the whole frame, just that piece I added

I also replaced the old axle with a new Dexter torsion , that I also had galvanized coating added to extend life of the axle then!

but there is NO reason you cannot add a piece of aluminum to your's
    Mine is pretty bad. It's going to need more than just a plate of aluminum.

What I'm looking for is aluminum channel that would slip over the 1 x 2 frame.
    Chris
    Shawnee Sno-Chiefs

Is there such a thing?
    Grainger's might have what you're searching for. I found a place in Syracuse that sells aluminum channel stock that was 4" x4", that I used to reframe my old clamshell trailer. It only came in like a 20' section that they cut in 4-pieces for me. So I just doubled up the frame. I think the name was Salina Steel Supply.

There's got to be a similar place out by you in western NY.

Mine is pretty bad. It's going to need more than just a plate of aluminum.

What I'm looking for is aluminum channel that would slip over the 1 x 2 frame.
    Can you add a few pic's?
    BUT you can buy metal(aluminum ) in all different shapes and sizes and styles, online, or at local metal shops
    have a look , at say
    https://www.speedymetals.com/

https://www.metalsdepot.com/

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

to show you a few , BUT you will have to find a decent welding shop that works with aluminum, as NOT all welding shops want the added work of working with Aluminum, and NOT all have the right skill sets to do so either

BUT if the trailer is SAFE to drive/tow, you can just take it to a few shops and get estimates on a repair job, and ask them to beef it up at the same time.
    my trailer is 20 yrs old(an old original Arctic Cat Carrier) but it was designed the best back then, I added some cross supports on the draw bar, to help displace load there, and give a stronger connection to things
    and then about 7 yrs ago, the actual draw bar itself , developed a crack at the connection hinge bolt hole, so I replaced that with a thicker stronger aluminum draw bar, to make it last even longer than the OEM one!.
    SO about anything can be done to FIX these things, all comes down to IF you want to spend the time and money to do so, , welders can be costly, and or maybe NOT worth saving, pending condition of rest of trailer
    so keep an open mind on options here.
    that is also why IF its able to be towed to a few shops, to get FREE estimates(will COULD be cheaper too if you BUY the aluminum yourself and have at time of estimate, but NOT always, some times they have stock laying about that they already paid for, left over from other projects)

and a heads up, MOST shops don't like to work with aluminum over a 1/4 inch thick, most even prefer under that size!
    so keep that in mind if you plan to buy first!

but pic's will help you here on possible solutions for you??

here is a pic of how I beefed up mine, I added a thicker plate to the bottom between trailer and axle, and then added a plate to the side of the frame section, to also make that area stronger!
    and then you can see how the old axle rusted out, was border line about to break off! and the torsion springs exposed, got 18 yrs out of the axle, so cannot complain, and just 2 sets of wheel bearings. new axle is a Dexter and Galvanized coated and I went with a higher weight rated axle too, original was a 1800 lbs and new one is 2500 lbs!, HOPING to get another 20 yrs out of this trailer, did new decking 2 yrs ago!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Default wow

I was thinking galvanic corrosion. Two dissimilar metals have to be isolated form each other with a non conductive (like rubber) pad.

That looks like more of a stress fracture.

That's a break in the steel riser block, right?

Sorry, didn't realize those pics weren't canam-sledder. Nice work on that aluminum plating!
    Last edited by woodsrider845; 04-15-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider845 View Post
    I was thinking galvanic corrosion. Two dissimilar metals have to be isolated form each other with a non conductive (like rubber) pad.

That looks like more of a stress fracture.

That's a break in the steel riser block, right?

Sorry, didn't realize those pics weren't canam-sledder. Nice work on that aluminum plating!
    that old axle was galvanized coated too, and as for that crack, that is from it rusting way and it got very thin and then stress cracked , you can see how much the salt and what not's ATE the metal over the yrs, exposing the torsion springs in the axle tube itself, it long out lived its usefulness , glad I caught it before it broke when in use!
    as its one of them things I guess we take for granted, not doing full inspections often as the yrs roll by!

and yes there will always be some sort of reaction to things when you put two different types of metal up to each other,
    the ONLY issue I really had between where the axle's galvanized metal mount touched the trailers aluminum frame, was it was starting to slowly eat away at the aluminum on the bottom of the frame, it was a few thousand's reduces like than it should have been when new, ONLY way to see this is to actually remove the axle.
    so, again what I did was I had a thicker piece of aluminum added to things between the axle brace and the frame, so IF it decides to eat away , it will NOT damage the frame anymore, and I welded a side plate to add some strength to the frame section as well, I plan to add a plate to BOTH sides of the frame too, just when I had it in the shop, didn;t have enough aluminum stock handy to do so at the time!

its on the TO DO list, LOL
    when more time is free and all that, but as it sits now, its a stronger set up than factory, and trailer is a 1997 yr model, so, old set up lasted till 2014 when I did this work?, so as is, should last as long or longer I would think??

But salt is nasty stuff, sure eats away at things, it pays to do a GOOD inspection of things every so often, this trailer see's more use as an atv carrier than sleds, but I use it all yr, been across the USA a few times too over the yrs on hunting trips I got my moneys worth and then some out of it LOL

here is a pic of how I beefed up mine, I added a thicker plate to the bottom between trailer and axle, and then added a plate to the side of the frame section, to also make that area stronger!
    and then you can see how the old axle rusted out, was border line about to break off! and the torsion springs exposed, got 18 yrs out of the axle, so cannot complain, and just 2 sets of wheel bearings. new axle is a Dexter and Galvanized coated and I went with a higher weight rated axle too, original was a 1800 lbs and new one is 2500 lbs!, HOPING to get another 20 yrs out of this trailer, did new decking 2 yrs ago!
    You didn't use a gasket between the steel axle and aluminum trailer frame? You are going to have galvanic corrosion at an accelerated rate. EDIT, Didn't see your axle was galvanized.

Your repair is similar to what I did to my Karavan open trailer. It wasn't as bad as my Triton.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by can-amsledder; 04-16-2017 at 09:48 AM.
    Chris
    Shawnee Sno-Chiefs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast