Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trailer Information, Insurance; and Repair information for all....

First pic it the repair on my Karanan trailer.

Second pic is what a 10 years old Triton should look like.

Third and forth pic is of my Triton trailer.

Fifth pic is the dimensions of the aluminum channel I'm looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Chris
    Orleans County Snowdrifters
    Shawnee Sno-Chiefs

if my eye's are seeing what I think, it looks like your axle housing is also starting to have excessive wear from rust issue's at the same places as mine, you might want to be thinking about replacing in the near future before a failure happens there, ??

as for aluminum channel stock, again, best bet is to contact a place like I listed in them links and ask, as it will always come down to whats in stock or not. but I see no reason you cannot get what you want

Quote Originally Posted by can-amsledder View Post
    You didn't use a gasket between the steel axle and aluminum trailer frame? You are going to have galvanic corrosion at an accelerated rate. EDIT, Didn't see your axle was galvanized.

Your repair is similar to what I did to my Karavan open trailer. It wasn't as bad as my Triton.
    also, I forgot to add, I sprayed undercoating on the contact between the NEW axle and the Aluminum frame of trailer, I let it dry and cure before installing, and after a few trips with trailer I re snugged up the bolts, to make sure NO GIVE was there after things settled, and have checked tightness of bolts a few times since, and Never any movements there

I will also point of something else, maybe few think about, BUT at about the 14 yrs age mark, the trailer tongue/draw bar on mine developed a stress crack , where the trailer decking TILT pin attaches, pin you remove to tilt trailer, so, I went and got a thicker stronger whole new draw bar that mounted from under trailer and added a new coupler to things as well!

WHEN< I had that off the trailer(still have it some where), the actual area where the draw bar BOLTS to the trailer, back under the trailer, near center of it! that too was showing a LOT of BAD wear and tear on the INSIDE from the bolt there, as well as developed a lot more slop in the side to side of things from wear and tear.

I would very honestly suggest anyone with an older trailer do a GOOD inspection of these area's, as a failure in either of things can lead to your trailer breaking free of the tow vehicle,, road salt is a BAD thing, even on aluminum, and when you MIX other metals together and time ticks by, things happen to metals and they deteriorate at different rates!

Better safe than sorry, and this time of yr is the time of yr to be fixing things, rather than IN the short season we have to ride!

Quote Originally Posted by can-amsledder View Post
    First pic it the repair on my Karanan trailer.

Second pic is what a 10 years old Triton should look like.

Third and forth pic is of my Triton trailer.

Fifth pic is the dimensions of the aluminum channel I'm looking for.
    here is a link for the size you need, 3"x1-3/4"x 1/8 inch thick, or the 3"x2" x1/8 inch, this will give you a 1-3/4" inside dia, and its cheaper than the thinner one?? go figure, but link has price for both in 6 ft section
    6 ft is like 90 bucks, or they can custom cut to size
    and added it i na 1/4 inch thick wall, , I would do this if it was me !!
    https://www.metalsdepot.com/catalog_cart_view.php?msg=
    Last edited by mrbbb; 04-16-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123