Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Food for though

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bridgeport,Boylston
    Posts
    558

    Default Food for though

    We all ways hear about the clubs need more signs. So here's the question. What if the land owner says you can have your snowmobile trail through my property but I don't want any signs on trees on post or anything else except if there's a intersection you can put a stop sign that's all ? Don't forget state land and W.M.A. has a land owner also we have to get a permit every year to use said land and you have to follow there rules also or lose the trail. Don't say it can't happen because there's someone in D.E.C. that is saying just that and we are facing losing a lot of our trails.
    Last edited by Loner 618; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:42 AM.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    1,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loner 618 View Post
    We all ways hear about the clubs need more signs. So here's the question. What if the land owner says you can have your snowmobile trail through my property but I don't want any signs on trees on post or anything else except if there's a intersection you can put a stop sign that's all ? Don't forget state land and W.M.A. has a land owner also we have to get a permit every year to use said land and you have to follow there rules also or lose the trail. Don't say it can't happen because there's someone in D.E.C. that is saying just that.
    I guess I would put the trail in. I would put as many signs in as the landowner allowed. I still ride many unsigned and undersigned areas in the state. A lot of riders seem to disregard the signs that I put up anyway. Maybe they'll do a better job staying on the trail if they don't have any stakes to ride on the outside of?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Fabius, North Redfield
    Posts
    1,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loner 618 View Post
    We all ways hear about the clubs need more signs. So here's the question. What if the land owner says you can have your snowmobile trail through my property but I don't want any signs on trees on post or anything else except if there's a intersection you can put a stop sign that's all ? Don't forget state land and W.M.A. has a land owner also we have to get a permit every year to use said land and you have to follow there rules also or lose the trail. Don't say it can't happen because there's someone in D.E.C. that is saying just that and we are facing losing a lot of our trails.
    My understanding of this is that if a landowner request less signage than parks requires then the club needs to submit a letter from the landowner to Parks saying that this is what they request. I am sure that Jim will have the "official" answer to this.
    Lafayette Trail Riders
    Snow Valley Riders
    Tully Trail Blazers
    Redfield Snowmobile Association

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bridgeport,Boylston
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    My understanding of this is that if a landowner request less signage than parks requires then the club needs to submit a letter from the landowner to Parks saying that this is what they request. I am sure that Jim will have the "official" answer to this.
    I'm sure that would go over very well Gary. The land owner tells you what they want and except you to do on there property and you want a letter stating that. Say good by to that trail what they want and tell you should be enough with out fueling the fire by asking for a letter. Oh before some one says the signs are there to protect the land owner should something happen, I'm sure the land owner would say if I need protecting from something you don't need to be on my property find another way around. To many people think there entitled and it doesn't matter what they say. I have a neighbor like that.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CNY
    Posts
    3,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loner 618 View Post
    I'm sure that would go over very well Gary. The land owner tells you what they want and except you to do on there property and you want a letter stating that. Say good by to that trail what they want and tell you should be enough with out fueling the fire by asking for a letter. Oh before some one says the signs are there to protect the land owner should something happen, I'm sure the land owner would say if I need protecting from something you don't need to be on my property find another way around. To many people think there entitled and it doesn't matter what they say. I have a neighbor like that.
    If the landowner in this situation is the State, they have rules governing what can and cannot be done on their lands depending on whichever agency makes the rules.
    There have been scenarios where landowners do not want to have additional signs on their property. Parks has stated in those cases that the club should submit to the Parks snowmobile unit those landowner's demands. I believe in one case which Gary was involved with, the landowner changed their mind and likes the double-staking now. ???
    And then there's the landowners who want a bunch of extra "STAY ON TRAIL OR STAY HOME" signs all over their property to help get that message across to those riders who think they can ride wherever they want to.
    Last edited by 800cc28; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:15 PM.
    Stay Right and BETWEEN the Stakes!!

    Join a club WHEREVER you ride!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    1,368

    Default

    This thread seems to be looking for problems where none exist.

    I always wonder how many trails get shut down or rerouted because of rogue club members or officers? I would dare say that poor club/landowner relationships get more trails closed than off trail riders and loud pipes.
    Last edited by orangef7; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:32 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Penfield, NY (home) / Orwell, NY (camp)
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    That hasn't been my experience, but I know what you mean.

    We had a guy years ago who groomed everywhere there was snow, trails or not. I left club leadership before anything came from that, so I don't know how that situation turned out.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bridgeport,Boylston
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    This thread seems to be looking for problems where none exist.

    I always wonder how many trails get shut down or rerouted because of rogue club members or officers? I would dare say that poor club/landowner relationships get more trails closed than off trail riders and loud pipes.
    Check your P.M.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •