Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: D&D Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Polarizer View Post
    Interesting timing on the article. Drove I90 through Sturgis yesterday on the way home from the wildfires in Montana & BC. It wasn't hard to notice that 99% of the people riding bikes were anywhere from 55 to 70 years old. No young folks that I saw.

Bad out west too, smoke is thick this year, not everywhere though
    Yeah, that article and others have pointed out the doom-and-gloom for the cruiser motorcycle market. There really isn't a glimmer of light anywhere in the data, either.

H-D is restricted by their brand and image...very profitable for many, many years...they invested in the brand and somewhat into their bikes, but do not have the flexibility that the Japanese global motorcycle companies have, which have the the full spectrum of bikes in every corner of the globe, engineered, supplied, and equipped to go, based on the particular flavor their consumers desire at a given time.

As the article stated, it is a careful balance managing the H-D image and risking the loyalty that they have built up and trying to get into newer, growing markets.

The Big Three did the same thing in the 90s and 2000s, addicted to the huge margins of SUVs and pickups, and ignoring the looming fuel price increase in 2008 and financial crisis just about the same time. I am glad that they have followed Toyota's approach, offering a diverse lineup of electric, hybrid, fuel efficient cars and small SUVs that can sustain them in the inevitable down markets and/or high fuel costs that could come at any time.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by hamcotrailrider View Post
    I would like to know WTF these snowmobile manufacturers are thinking. If there are virtually no dealers for a certain brand out in the boonies where the trails are, I'd be inclined not to buy that brand, especially if I travelled to go riding. Break down and need a part or service only a dealer can provide you have to blow a day of your limited weekend or vacation time driving to get the sled serviced, instead of getting it fixed locally.
    I am not sure if BRP is doing this. They seem to have more dealers than any other brand. When looking around for a particular sled a couple of Springs ago, I called a dealer out near Roadyville somewhere...turns out they are a Ski Doo dealer that operates out of their house, basically. They must be grandfathered in.

They seem to have their fingers on the pulse of snowmobiling better than the other three brands.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by icicle View Post
    Dealers never have parts in stock anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A few (Many) years ago we were out riding with some friends. We stopped in Taberg for fuel and as one of the sleds comes across the pavement to where we were parked after fueling I hear metal scraping the pavement on his sled. It is a cat and the torsion spring is broken.
    We call the local cat dealer and they do not have the springs in stock.
    The rider decides that he can make it back up to the hill and camp.
    We stopped at Florence hotel for lunch and on a whim I call Barrows in C'ville which is where we are headed. They have the springs in stock and can install them as soon as we get there.
    When we get there not only do they have stock springs but the "Big Boy" springs this guy should have had on the sled in the first place. Less than an hour later we are back on the trail and the guy says the sled never rode as good.
    Dealers pretty much suck and are out of touch IMO.
    "Persistent Violator"

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    A few (Many) years ago we were out riding with some friends. We stopped in Taberg for fuel and as one of the sleds comes across the pavement to where we were parked after fueling I hear metal scraping the pavement on his sled. It is a cat and the torsion spring is broken.
    We call the local cat dealer and they do not have the springs in stock.
    The rider decides that he can make it back up to the hill and camp.
    We stopped at Florence hotel for lunch and on a whim I call Barrows in C'ville which is where we are headed. They have the springs in stock and can install them as soon as we get there.
    When we get there not only do they have stock springs but the "Big Boy" springs this guy should have had on the sled in the first place. Less than an hour later we are back on the trail and the guy says the sled never rode as good.
    Dealers pretty much suck and are out of touch IMO.
    My experiences with dealers have been mostly positive...however, most of the dealers I deal with are local & small.

Wayne, the story you mentioned above about Barrow's I have heard ten times over the years. They take care of people in need.

Quote Originally Posted by icicle View Post
    Dealers never have parts in stock anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You have to be kidding. Do you have any idea how big of a building a dealer would have to have to supply all parts. Not only do they have snowmobiles they most likely have motorcycles, water craft,four wheelers, side by sides and all the different models and years. You may say supply the parts you know will break so I ask you why would you buy something you know is going to break?
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

My taxes in Montague (across the street from Montague Inn) were $360 a year for EVERYTHING.
    Same as my 18 acres in Montana that burned to a crisp last week in the wildfire. At least there was no structure on the property.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345