Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: D&D Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Boylston rider View Post
    We are moving to camp on the tug in three years. Our taxes and the population down here in Onondaga county are out of control.. Less people, low taxes and we will b living mortgage free up there.. Taxes vary allot so u can't just live wherever in this state

We were in the South Lewis Central School District... Highest Scool Tax in the area and likely the entire Tug Hill / North Country Region.
    "Persistent Violator"

The amount of taxes I pay for 15 acres of wooded land in redfield , Would be the same amount for a home in Delaware, near the beach that would cost 500k ! How F-ED up is Ny state.
    Im confused, wait... maybe i'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by TODDLB View Post
    The amount of taxes I pay for 15 acres of wooded land in redfield , Would be the same amount for a home in Delaware, near the beach that would cost 500k ! How F-ED up is Ny state.
    VERY...
    My taxes here in Jersey are not much more than NYS but here we have 14 Acres vs the 7 we had in NY. Here we are on a paved, plowed road with Natural Gas and Electric. 10 of the 14 Acres are Farmland Acessed because we have a local farmer who cuts hay on it.
    "Persistent Violator"

How are the snowmobile trails in Delaware? How much would that beach home cost?

Then the scumbag Cuomo comes to Broome County sprinkles some fairy dust over Johnson city and Endicott and thinks he's actually helping.
    SMFHP
    Stay right
    and slow down....

You aren't that good that you can't wreck

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    Todd said the $500K house would be less in taxes in Delaware...

So what you are saying is it is worth paying higher taxes in NY because there is a chance that 2-3 months out of the year there MAY be decent trails to ride?
    "Persistent Violator"

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    Some years the trails arent too bad, the house would cost 500k, and it isnt a shack, it would be over 3000 sq ft It isnt on the beach, it is inland a couple of miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    We were in the South Lewis Central School District... Highest Scool Tax in the area and likely the entire Tug Hill / North Country Region.
    Years ago, back in 07 I looked at land that was in lewis county, Taxes were cheaper back then compared to the Redfield area.

Years ago, back in 07 I looked at land that was in lewis county, Taxes were cheaper back then compared to the Redfield area.
    That was probably before the re-assessment period that they were going through. I think it was 5-7 years ago... They went through all the assessed values over a couple year period. We went to grievence and were able to get some of the land re-classified which saved us some money but everyones taxes went up.

The tax assessor didn't even know we were on a seasonal road with no power even though we had seen him drive by many times and there are signs saying it is a Seasonal Road where the plow stops.

Lewis County is not the problem South Lewis Central School District is.
    Last edited by Phantom; 08-03-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    "Persistent Violator"

New York taxes are high, but it is not as simple as some make it out to be. A lot of the "highest taxes in the country" talk is isolated to the Hudson Valley and NYC metro areas. Home values in upstate NY are pretty reasonable as compared to the rest of the country, and especially the NE. This is partially the reason property taxes are high (less taxable value as compared to other states' property), and the affordability of property in most of the state offsets those disproportional property taxes.

My four bedroom, two bath suburban home on 2/3 acre in a wealthy suburb of ROC would cost double or triple in many areas with more accelerated job growth. Yes, the taxes would be lower in a lot of those places, but can you afford the initial upfront cost of the home? Would you ever make up the difference in tax savings?

Another factor missing in these tax debates is that a lot of states tax personal property, NY does not. If you have a couple of decent vehicles, your sled (s), motorcycle, boat, like a lot of folks who post here have, those taxes/fees add up pretty quickly. For example, in Indiana where my in-laws live, it cost $300 to register a new motorcycle; I pay $17.50. My in-laws' property taxes are $1200, but add the "excise tax" they charge on the vehicles I own and that number quickly doubles to $2400. Granted, that is still lower than my property taxes are, but IN and other states hide their fees and costs in other things like registrations. Also, they charge you for accessing public land, what little of it is available. I took a walk in a state park; they charged $15 to get in.

Plus, living in New York comes with the major bonus of not living having to live in Indiana.

I like living in New York. It is a state with a lot of issues, mostly political, but all states have issues. You pay in one way, or another. I will continue to live here and enjoy being here even if it costs more than most other states because I have never been anywhere else (spent time in 20+ states) that can compete with our natural resources, diversity of urban, suburban and rural areas, water, mountains, etc, etc.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast