Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: D&D Racing

One more thought...you get what you pay for.

My town near ROC has lower property taxes than a neighboring town to the north. I believe my taxes would be $500 more per year if my house were located two miles up the road.

However, that town has a police dept. with a three minute response time, more park land, better park land, curbside leaf pickup in the fall, public sewer throughout the town.

I would gladly pay $500 more to have those services because some are unable to be purchased individually, and those that are (leaf pickup) are disproportionately expensive compared to municipal effort.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Todd said the $500K house would be less in taxes in Delaware...

So what you are saying is it is worth paying higher taxes in NY because there is a chance that 2-3 months out of the year there MAY be decent trails to ride?
    That is exactly what I'm saying. I'd rather pay higher taxes because I enjoy living here. The taxes are lower in Delaware but the major drawback is that you would have to live in Delaware.

OC stop bringing common sense into this thread.........grass is always greener.
    Without Yamaha I would have no reason to groom
    Proud drinker of Doolaid
    Kasoag Trailblazers

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    That is exactly what I'm saying. I'd rather pay higher taxes because I enjoy living here. The taxes are lower in Delaware but the major drawback is that you would have to live in Delaware.
    There is nothing wrong with Delaware (except for maybe the Bidens) they have beautiful roads and no sales tax. Nice beaches if you are into that sort of thing.

Name:  PB220102.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  15.9 KB

Name:  PB220089.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  12.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Persistent Violator"

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Delaware (except for maybe the Bidens) they have beautiful roads and no sales tax. Nice beaches if you are into that sort of thing.

Name:  PB220102.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  15.9 KB

Name:  PB220089.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  12.4 KB
    I believe they said it best on Wayne's World.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's as bad as people thinking this is the Jersey Shore...

Name:  9751611-large.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  34.8 KB

When I know in fact THIS is the Jersey Shore...

Name:  IMG_20150815_083107163.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  18.4 KB
    "Persistent Violator"

New Jersey gets a bad rap. Lots of nice areas in the state. Lots of nice beaches, some mountains and lakes in the NW corner of the state that look like something you wouldn't expect to see based on many people's perceptions.

Every state has nice regions and many positives...just my opinion, but I think New York, California, Maine, Colorado, and Massachusetts all have a lot of different things to offer that make them stand out above others. I am guessing Minnesota is pretty nice too...never been there...again, these are just based on things that I like.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

Here is my plan to lower school taxes, Home school all kids above the Elementary age. So that will eliminate all the mega school buildings, with olympic size swimming pools, and all the other extra bull**** that is not needed to learn. For the people who think the kiddies need to be around other kiddies to socialize keep the Elementary school buildings. If you dont have kids in school, you pay no school taxes !
    Im confused, wait... maybe i'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by TODDLB View Post
    Here is my plan to lower school taxes, Home school all kids above the Elementary age. So that will eliminate all the mega school buildings, with olympic size swimming pools, and all the other extra bull**** that is not needed to learn. For the people who think the kiddies need to be around other kiddies to socialize keep the Elementary school buildings. If you dont have kids in school, you pay no school taxes !

Let us know how that plan works out for you...
    "Persistent Violator"

Quote Originally Posted by TODDLB View Post
    What is your assessment of the current state of school buildings based on? I have worked in multiple school districts, and none of the buildings are anywhere near the way you describe. I know of two neighboring school districts that share buses and drivers when needed, since each district struggles to keep drivers; one district allows pool access to the other that doesn't have a pool for swimming classes, while the pool-less district allows access to their community center in return.

Oh, and every building I have been in is at 100% capacity, and have sold off excess space. Todd, our district, APW, has closed two Elementary schools and buses kids to Parish from all over the northeastern corner of the county.

There are many, many other cooperative sharing agreements between districts to utilize each others' facilities and not build their own. To save money, districts will tap into shared BOCES services for technology and other services that they cannot afford to support with full time staff.

The state's EXCEL fund does encourage capital spending to the maximum allowable extent, but that is typical for government grant structures, just how they work. However, that is an Albany thing, not a local school budget issue.

Every capital project that is funded by EXCEL $$ requires a local contribution (varies) and a public vote that has to be held at a different time than the general budget and propositions. I would suggest going to some school board meetings to voice your opinion about any pending projects that fit your description. You don't have to be a full time resident to share out in public forum.

One more thing...in rural areas, schools are often the center of the community. They are continuously in use by Boy Scouts, church groups, Rotary, and other local events. A lot of people support these facilities unanimously because they understand the role they play in the vibrancy of their towns, or what is left of it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast