Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowbikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Loner 618 View Post
    Have you ever seen a model T or model A with a kit on them? They were doing it in the 20's and 30's. How much time and money did it cost us to figure out what a snowmobile was? Took me about a min. Oh I forgot Webster is wrong and your definition is wright.
    NYS DMV, DEC, and Parks do not use the Webster definition that you are choosing to use for the term "snowmobile" as it pertains to NYS registration and land use regulations.
    Stay Right and BETWEEN the Stakes!!

Join a club WHEREVER you ride!

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    You still can't register UTV's and there are thousands of them in NY. The law will never be changed for a few converted dirt bikes.
    Register utvs in pa . They allow anyone to register them and no weight restrictions. I got a ranger crew n it's registered in pa
    2006 Polaris fusion
    2012 Polaris rush

Quote Originally Posted by 800cc28 View Post
    So, using Webster's definition, someone can put skis with runners under the front tires and a Soucy track kit in place of the rear tires on a full sized tractor and register it as a snowmobile then ride it on the trails? Safe? Logical? And that might be why states don't use that definition, but instead include many other safety concerns and factors for legal registrations.
    Your words not mine. Safe and logical. Were all to stupid to know what's safe and logical we need people like you and others to tell us. That's what's wrong with this country.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Well Jim, after listening to you and others at this years forum, I agree with NYSSA stand on this.
    Chris
    Orleans County Snowdrifters
    Shawnee Sno-Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by sledrider80 View Post
    Register utvs in pa . They allow anyone to register them and no weight restrictions. I got a ranger crew n it's registered in pa
    That works if you are not a NY resident or are stopped by someone who doesn't know the NY laws very well.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 600SDI View Post
    That works if you are not a NY resident or are stopped by someone who doesn't know the NY laws very well.
    I am a New York resident and my ATV is only registered in Pennsylvania out of spite.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
    I am a New York resident and my ATV is only registered in Pennsylvania out of spite.
    If your ATV or UTV is overweight this will only work until Cuomo decides he needs more money and there is a crackdown on overweight ATVs and UTVs registered out of state that are actually illegal on NYS trails.
    "Persistent Violator"

The concern is that they will be riding "off-trail" and thereby causing more landowner problems and more trail closures. I can see that.

On the other hand we want to promote the sport to newcomers and young people. It would be best to accommodate the interests of people who may be willing to support clubs and trails but are not interested in a big snowmobile or can't afford $10,000+ or live in an area where the snow season is short and a bike or ATV conversion makes more sense than spending big bucks on something they can only use a few weeks of the year.

Considering the motocross bike AND the conversion kit costs, they are at or well over $10,000.00 to purchase new.
    Stay Right and BETWEEN the Stakes!!

Join a club WHEREVER you ride!

Quote Originally Posted by 800cc28 View Post
    Considering the motocross bike AND the conversion kit costs, they are at or well over $10,000.00 to purchase new.
    But that cost is for a year around machine. Depending on where you ride in New York a snowmobile is good for maybe 3 months on a good year. Most years it seems to be much less.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast