Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowbikes?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by firecat12 View Post
    This would eliminate conversions from being registered as a snowmobile to be used on snowmobile trails in the winter, but they could still be used on seasonal roads in the winter if registered as an ATV.
    What if they are registered as a road-legal vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
    What if they are registered as a road-legal vehicle?
    Still not allowed on Snowmobile Trails crossing private land. If it can't be registered legally as a snowmobile it is not covered on the trail liability policy for landowners.

Forget about it... not going to happen in New York in our lifetime.

If you want to build or buy a snow bike plan on using it only on your own land or someone else's land with their permission or ONLY seasonal roads which probably only make up about 25% of trails statewide. Probably more like 50% on The Hill.
    "Persistent Violator"

Question

I own sleds and street legal dirt bikes, and I do not plan to ever own a snow bike in NY. But I have a few friends that have ridden them and say that they are an amazing amount of fun in the deep snow and woods.

I am having a hard time understanding why NY, the NYSSA, and the snowmobile community is so anti snow bike.

With the price of several new sleds over $15,000 and people leaving the sport due to the cost, it seems like the NYSSA would welcome potential new members and energy into the sport. One of the nice things about snow bikes is you have one machine that you can use year-round and just modify to fit the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
    . But I have a few friends that have ridden them and say that they are an amazing amount of fun in the deep snow and woods.
    This is part of the problem... It is only legal to ride on groomed and marked trails in NYS. The deep snow and woods that make snowbikes fun are off limits in NY.
    There is also the "official" description of a snowmobile. "Two Skis and a Track"
    It is not NYSSA that is a fault (For a Change) it is the way snowmobile law is written in NYS.

Anyone who wants to ride a snowbike in NYS (including manufacturers and dealers) need to lobby to get the laws changed... Let me know how that works out... I'll wait.
    "Persistent Violator"

Quote Originally Posted by 800cc28 View Post
    Actually, the law was recently changed to OUTLAW them specifically by re-defining what a "snowmobile" is considered legally by the different NYS agency's rules, within the new legislation that NYSSA submitted along with Parks regarding the unregistered fine increase and the increased percentage to LEOs that patrol the snowmobile trails. Just awaiting the Governor's signature.
    Maybe I read this wrong, but it seems like NYSSA was involved in making sure that snowbikes can never be ridden legally in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    Maybe I read this wrong, but it seems like NYSSA was involved in making sure that snowbikes can never be ridden legally in NY.
    NYS Parks, DEC, DMV, and NYSSA all agreed on adopting the Minnesota definition of a snowmobile...which eliminates conversion motorcycles and other motor vehicles from being registered as snowmobiles.
    Stay Right and BETWEEN the Stakes!!

Join a club WHEREVER you ride!

Default Webster

This is what Webster says " a motor vehicle for traveling over snow, with steerable runners in front and tractor treads at the rear." I think a snow bike falls in that category. But what do I know I can't make up my own definition of what something means.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Quote Originally Posted by Loner 618 View Post
    This is what Webster says " a motor vehicle for traveling over snow, with steerable runners in front and tractor treads at the rear." I think a snow bike falls in that category. But what do I know I can't make up my own definition of what something means.
    So, using Webster's definition, someone can put skis with runners under the front tires and a Soucy track kit in place of the rear tires on a full sized tractor and register it as a snowmobile then ride it on the trails? Safe? Logical? And that might be why states don't use that definition, but instead include many other safety concerns and factors for legal registrations.
    Stay Right and BETWEEN the Stakes!!

Join a club WHEREVER you ride!

So, using Webster's definition, someone can put skis with runners under the front tires and a Soucy track kit in place of the rear tires on a full sized tractor and register it as a snowmobile then ride it on the trails? Safe? Logical? And that might be why states don't use that definition, but instead include many other safety concerns and factors for legal registrations.
    Have you ever seen a model T or model A with a kit on them? They were doing it in the 20's and 30's. How much time and money did it cost us to figure out what a snowmobile was? Took me about a min. Oh I forgot Webster is wrong and your definition is wright.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    This is part of the problem... It is only legal to ride on groomed and marked trails in NYS. The deep snow and woods that make snowbikes fun are off limits in NY.

Anyone who wants to ride a snowbike in NYS (including manufacturers and dealers) need to lobby to get the laws changed... Let me know how that works out... I'll wait.
    Not true!

I can go "off trail" and in the deep snow and woods on my 2-ski snowmobile now, and I do, where I have permission. I know of state parks where "free riding" is allowed, and some clubs in NY even have legal, ungroomed and unfunded "boondock" trails that would be awesome on a snow bike.

There is a lot more to New York snowmobiling than the Adirondacks and Tug Hill.

Without a large constiuent group and a paid lobbyist(s), nothing will ever change. By the short sighted NYSSA not choosing to manage snow bike use, they are only promoting wanton use of snow bikes.

NYS Parks, DEC, DMV, and NYSSA all agreed on adopting the Minnesota definition of a snowmobile...which eliminates conversion motorcycles and other motor vehicles from being registered as snowmobiles.
    Sad and short sighted.

So, using Webster's definition, someone can put skis with runners under the front tires and a Soucy track kit in place of the rear tires on a full sized tractor and register it as a snowmobile then ride it on the trails?
    If it meets safety, sound, and dimensional (width, weight, etc.) requirements, then why not? Yamatanks aren't banned from snowmobile trails.
    Last edited by Trail Ryder; 08-28-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast