Thread: Mad River ATV Access

Default Mad River ATV Access

Now that there are legal ATV trails/roads to the south of the Mad River Club (Jackson Road) down toward Redfield and Osceola and also over to the Oswego County Trails and legal riding on Salmon River Road heading to pretty much all of Lewis County has the Mad River Club considered opening their gates and allowing partial club membership which would include no more than permitted ATV Access through on the main trail only? I would think at about $50 per season they would sell hundreds and maybe in the thousands of permits valid from approximately May 1-October 1 and then close the gates the day hunting season opens for all of the full club members to enjoy.

I would assume they don't want the additional traffic, but just thought it was worth some discussion. Why do they open their gates in the winter and give access to all without any permit, but completely shut it off in the summer to non club members. Is there a reason they don't require a permit to ride through there in the winter? (Again a partial membership giving winter access). I am not saying that I would like them to... but just surprised they don't.

They don't even allow full members on the property until after mud season is well over. If they allowed access by "hundreds if not thousands" of ATVs they would need to rebuild all the roads every year.
    That is the reason they retain the option of shutting down the snowmobile access in low snow conditions... they don't want their land ruined. The gates are normally closed (locked) except for sled access... That would mean every "partial access" permit holder would need a key.

There is a reason people need to know someone and be voted in to be a member... They are protecting their land from unknown outsiders.
    "Persistent Violator"

Be thankful they still let sleds across their property.

Be thankful there is sled access.
    Every year the actions of snowmobilers and atv's threaten the sled use of the area.
    The Mad River Club leases part of the property, but they don't own it, and many of their members abuse the atv access by cutting locks and leading large groups of non members on rides thru the area and off the trails.
    The landowner allows the sled trails to keep the peace with the local politicians and residents, but recent events are putting that in jeopardy as well.

I'm a member and it definitely is a beautiful property. The four wheeler trails have a great variety, trout fishing has been fun, haven't done any hunting yet but plan to. I like that it is pretty quiet in there, along with the benefit of it drastically extending my four wheeling opportunities makes it worth the money to me. I haven't heard of any discussions regarding opening it for less than the cost of a membership but I am not the most active member.

I.M.O. It would be the worst thing they could do. I was a member at one time and seeing what others do well let me just say I'm no longer a member. You would have one person join and knowing you could take one guest they would bring in 10 or they would make copies of there key for there friends . Not only that I believe in there by laws they can only have I think it was 300 members could be wrong but that's why there's a waiting list. We all know it just takes idiot to ruin it for everybody. They would have no control.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er