Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great grand son unhappy!!!

Default Great grand son unhappy!!!

The carburetor " needle and seat " is leaking on a Polaris Predator 50. I called Ingle's -- yes we have one-- $60.00. My response was "I don't want the whole carburetor", O.K., still $60.00. So I called Preferred Power Sports even better at $72.00. I went on line to eBay and paid $28.00 for a complete rebuild kit. It has needle and seat , jets,O rings, gaskets etc.etc. I am all for "Buy American" but I have limits. For $32.00 the little guy can tear something else up.

If you wanted it that day and be running, you would pay the extra money. Mike stocks a lot of parts some other dealers don't.

For $60 for a complete new carb most shops would not even mess with rebuilding a carb because it takes an hour or more to do it properly and the shop rate is likely $60 an hour or more. It all depends on how much you value your time.

A shop doing the repair is not going to take the chance and just replace a needle and seat only to find there is something else wrong with the carb once they get it back on. If a carb comes off it gets a complete tear down, cleaning by either soaking overnight or in an ultrasonic cleaner and reassembly with new parts this could easily cost $120 or more in labor plus the kit or parts.
    "Persistent Violator"

Quote Originally Posted by klmckittrick View Post
    The carburetor " needle and seat " is leaking on a Polaris Predator 50. I called Ingle's -- yes we have one-- $60.00. My response was "I don't want the whole carburetor", O.K., still $60.00. So I called Preferred Power Sports even better at $72.00. I went on line to eBay and paid $28.00 for a complete rebuild kit. It has needle and seat , jets,O rings, gaskets etc.etc. I am all for "Buy American" but I have limits. For $32.00 the little guy can tear something else up.
    A 4 wheeler,snowmobile,dirt bike for a kid is not going to be a cheep sport for them there going to break something or wreck it. If you want a cheep sport for him buy him a base ball and bat.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    For $60 for a complete new carb most shops would not even mess with rebuilding a carb because it takes an hour or more to do it properly and the shop rate is likely $60 an hour or more. It all depends on how much you value your time.

A shop doing the repair is not going to take the chance and just replace a needle and seat only to find there is something else wrong with the carb once they get it back on. If a carb comes off it gets a complete tear down, cleaning by either soaking overnight or in an ultrasonic cleaner and reassembly with new parts this could easily cost $120 or more in labor plus the kit or parts.
    I would have paid $60.00 for a new carburetor, just to get the little guy going. The $ 60.00 /$72.00 was just the "needle and seat", not a completely new carburetor.

I like to save money where I can. I probably split my business 50/50 between online and local. It really kills me to pay double at a local dealer vs online. I'll only do that if it's an emergency. I also haven't purchased a new sled since 2006. Everything has been used since then. That is the only reason that I have been able to keep snowmobiling.

Quote Originally Posted by klmckittrick View Post
    I would have paid $60.00 for a new carburetor, just to get the little guy going. The $ 60.00 /$72.00 was just the "needle and seat", not a completely new carburetor.
    Well that's just F'n crazy... Last time I bought just needles and seats was for my '97 XLT they were $14 each and I thought that was high but it was at the dealer.
    "Persistent Violator"

I paid almost 80$ online for a needle and seat for my kx 500 few months ago. It wasn't an oem part. Dealers around here couldn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy's Guidance Counsler View Post
    I paid almost 80$ online for a needle and seat for my kx 500 few months ago. It wasn't an oem part. Dealers around here couldn't get it.
    When it is an out of production Vintage Dirt bike part these days the sky is the limit. I have $900 tied up in a set of Ohlins remote reservoir shocks for my Husqvarna. The only saving grace is a shock for a modern single shock bike is about the same price for one shock!

Name:  IMG_20170316_210510.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  23.6 KB
    "Persistent Violator"

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    When it is an out of production Vintage Dirt bike part these days the sky is the limit. I have $900 tied up in a set of Ohlins remote reservoir shocks for my Husqvarna. The only saving grace is a shock for a modern single shock bike is about the same price for one shock!

Name:  IMG_20170316_210510.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  23.6 KB
    Dig the husky
    Winona Rec
    Pulaski-Boylston
    Redfield Assn
    Osceola Assn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast