Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Major trail clouser

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Well didn't BC used to have three resataurants and two gas stations? Now they have one of each which doesn't support the claims does it? We can go into a further review if necessary.
    My point is the area will survive without snowmobiles, will it be different? Yes. But the claims that snowmobiles are the saviors of the area are just false.
    I guess you could say that snowmobiling is helping the area die a slower death. It gives the locals just enough hope not to leave and find something better.

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    I guess you could say that snowmobiling is helping the area die a slower death. It gives the locals just enough hope not to leave and find something better.
    On the other hand snowmobiling does play a part in the economy because of the camps that are used for just that, tax base. Lets face it you don't build up there because you want a summer place. There are only three seasons, black fly, deer fly,and then the snow flies. All though the bugs weren't bad at all this year.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Bugs havent been bad at all this yr luckily lol. Flies the last 3 days were a pain bc of the hear but all in all a good yr for the bugs in redfield
    2006 Polaris fusion
    2012 Polaris rush

Quote Originally Posted by groomerguy View Post
    Not so...

the latest information I have (from one of the Montague Board members) is that there are approx 125 seasonal dewellings which have been built in the recent years. Yes most are dual purpose (snowmobiling, ATVing and even hunting) however most have been built in recent years when grooming of trails really started in earnest. The local Town, County and school taxes not to mention sales taxes are of tremendous importance to all the local taxing jurisdiction.

The most recent economic impact study was done a few years ago by SUNY Potsdam and I believe the impact of snowmobiling was in the area of $830 million dollars per year. A large portion of that has got to be in the Tug Hill region of NYS...counties of Lewis, Oswego, Oneida. I'm sure that number is available and would weigh heavily in this discussion.

GG
    it deffinitly appears that trail system for the off road hobbiest is growing up on the yearly...... the atv/utv are becoming more and more popular and present every year. that is also giving a well needed shot in the arm to local economy on and around the hill.

It would grow more if ny made it easier to register them all. You would by far see more sxs then atvs
    2006 Polaris fusion
    2012 Polaris rush

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Well didn't BC used to have three resataurants and two gas stations? Now they have one of each which doesn't support the claims does it? We can go into a further review if necessary.
    My point is the area will survive without snowmobiles, will it be different? Yes. But the claims that snowmobiles are the saviors of the area are just false.
    I guess it depends on your definition of "saviors of the area". Lots of businesses on the hill make 75% of their yearly income during snowmobile season. The Adirondacks have the benefit of multiple seasons of tourism to support them, the hill has a much more limited resource. I have had this conversation with many owners up there and they all say the same thing.

About a month ago I was talking with an owner of a rather large business with lodging and a restaurant on the hill about last winter and the hopes for this upcoming season; he agreed with the 75% during the snowmobile season and stated that the poor conditions last season had a huge negative impact. They had to come out of pocket to pay their taxes this year; so that equals to a net loss for the year that was entirely based on the lack of snowmobilers.

So you are correct in that it will change and survive, but is the change for the better? Is the loss of 2 restaurants and a gas station a good thing?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678