Thread: Registration Display Requirement

Question Registration Display Requirement

https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/snow...insurance.aspx

Registration numbers are permanently assigned to a snowmobile when it is registered for the first time. These numbers stay with the machine from owner to owner until it is destroyed or permanently removed from the state.

DMV-provided registration number decals must be displayed on both sides of the cowling of the snowmobile at all times. The cowling is defined as the forward portion of the snowmobile surrounding the engine and clutch assembly. Any display position behind the snowmobile cowling (tunnel or seat area) or on the windshield is illegal and could result in an expensive citation for violation of the registration law.

Snowmobile Registration Placement Diagram
    Snowmobiles first registered prior to August 1995 must display owner-provided registration numbers on both sides of the cowling. They must be of block type, at least three inches tall, and in a contrasting and reflective color. A hyphen or a space must appear between the last number and the letters.

Snowmobiles registered for the first time after 1995 do not need to show the full display of registration numbers. These sleds only need to show the proper registration decal.

Yearly registration validation stickers must be displayed in the upper left hand corner of the DMV-provided registration number decals, or to the left of the owner-provided registration numbers.

Snowmobiles already registered in another state or province must be registered at a Motor Vehicle office or a snowmobile dealer who participates in the state's prepaid registration program. Snowmobiles legally registered in another state or province are NOT required to display the New York State registration number decals, only the yearly validation stickers. The stickers must be displayed next to the home state or province registration sticker or number.
    So it looks like if my snowmobile is registered in another state (like Pennsylvania) that I do not need to display the DMV-provided registration number decals. And I can just put my own registration number decals on the sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
    https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/snow...insurance.aspx

So it looks like if my snowmobile is registered in another state (like Pennsylvania) that I do not need to display the DMV-provided registration number decals. And I can just put my own registration number decals on the sled.
    Whatever your registration numbers are in the other state is what should already be on your sled you just put the little annual sticker on next to your existing numbers and/or annual sticker from you home state. If your state doe not require numbers to be displayed and you choose not to display them or the annual sticker from your home state be prepared to be stopped a lot for a registration check. If you claim out of state registration your out of state registration needs to be current also.
    In other words if you registered you sled in Pa 5 years ago and never renewed you are not legally registered even if you only ride in NY.

Last I heard if you are out of state they do not sent number stickers just the small annual.
    "Persistent Violator"

I always get a ny plate w every sled. I never put the pa registration on my sleds ever. I only ever use that reg for resale bc it's transferrable
    2006 Polaris fusion
    2012 Polaris rush

Quote Originally Posted by sledrider80 View Post
    I always get a ny plate w every sled. I never put the pa registration on my sleds ever. I only ever use that reg for resale bc it's transferrable
    Yes but you have a NY address correct?
    We did the same when we had our camp, once we had the camp we bought and registered our sleds using the NY address and never registered in NJ.
    "Persistent Violator"

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Yes but you have a NY address correct?
    We did the same when we had our camp, once we had the camp we bought and registered our sleds using the NY address and never registered in NJ.
    Damn edit button deletes msgs now well I use my nj address all the time but Yes I do have ny addr. I just ask the nice ladies at DMV for a number plate bc I only ride here or Quebec
    2006 Polaris fusion
    2012 Polaris rush