Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ADR lawsuit

Default ADR lawsuit

Am I hearing this right that they won the lawsuit and the rails won't be coming up?
    Groomer Master
    Groomer Operator
    Trail Boss
    former President

Default ASR lawsuit

Yes, the Judge decided against the State. Most likely, the State will immediately appeal. Link to an article on the decision: http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...l-lawsuit.html
    Stay Right and BETWEEN the Stakes!!

Join a club WHEREVER you ride!

Hi folks, Brian Mann here. Wow, this is a stunner. A state supreme court judge in Franklin County today issued a ruling overturning New York's controversial plan to create a new rail-trail in the Adirondacks linking Tupper Lake to Lake Placid.

Judge Robert Main issued the decision after the Railway Preservation Society sued last year, challenging the State’s decision to rip up 34 miles of the historic rail line. In a statement, the Adirondack Scenic Railroad praised the decision. They say they will begin reaching out to local communities.

This decision was a body blow to the Adirondack Recreation Trail Advocates, a group that pushed for years for the new trail to be built.

Hope Frenette in Tupper Lake is a pro-trail activist. "I'm certainly disappointed," she told NCPR. "Hopefully New York state will appeal it. I'm hoping they do."

A spokesperson for the Adirondack Scenic Railroad declined to make anyone available for an interview today.

Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi of Utica today issued a statement about the decision: "Today’s decision is a victory for the thousands of people who have contacted my office over the past several years objecting to the removal of a large segment of the railroad infrastructure on the Remsen to Lake Placid Travel Corridor."

No word yet from the Cuomo administration on how they'll respond. The governor had committed to spend 8 million dollars on the rail-trail project, with construction planned for as early as this fall. With this decision, the long rail-trail battle in the Adirondacks has roared back to life.

(Photograph: Shows a section of the rail line in the Lake Lila area that would need to be restored in order to link tourism train service from Utica and Remsen to the Tri-Lakes Area, taken by Brian Mann)

The railroad folks are much better at promoting their agenda than everyone else.

And according to WKTV's web site, they said that there is a HUGE demand from folks coming from Chicago & NYC that so want to go by rail to LP and TL. Yup okay. Believe that when I see it. Plus how much $$$ will all those folks from said cities spend. 1st you got to get people here and then there. No mention of them trying to use the rails year round-----oh wait, that will be next after they spend thousands and thousands of dollars to repair and upgrade things. That money will more than likely come out of our tax dollars to do and maintain whereas sled clubs would maintain trails w/no cost to taxpayers if I'm right. If I'm not right, someone can correct me.

Default Snow!

Next it will be a winter train, wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
    And according to WKTV's web site, they said that there is a HUGE demand from folks coming from Chicago & NYC that so want to go by rail to LP and TL. Yup okay. Believe that when I see it. Plus how much $$$ will all those folks from said cities spend. 1st you got to get people here and then there. No mention of them trying to use the rails year round-----oh wait, that will be next after they spend thousands and thousands of dollars to repair and upgrade things. That money will more than likely come out of our tax dollars to do and maintain whereas sled clubs would maintain trails w/no cost to taxpayers if I'm right. If I'm not right, someone can correct me.
    chicagoans should pay $23,000 per ticket so NYers don't subsidize their joy rides. Better yet have them come over and take the cars and rails back to Illinois. They love to waste money maybe even more than we do.

I'm off to Chicago next week. I'll ask the locals if they

A) know where the adirondaks are
    B) know there is a train there

I bet I go 0-for.

Maybe we should have the ASR replace NYSSA and parks. They seem to be much more effective at accomplishing their goals. The best part is that they are able to do it with other people's money!
    Last edited by orangef7; 09-30-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cleetussnow View Post
    chicagoans should pay $23,000 per ticket so NYers don't subsidize their joy rides. Better yet have them come over and take the cars and rails back to Illinois. They love to waste money maybe even more than we do.

I'm off to Chicago next week. I'll ask the locals if they

A) know where the adirondaks are
    B) know there is a train there

I bet I go 0-for.
    I sat next to someone on a plane from San Francisco to Chicago who I started chatting with, and she was going to the Adks that fall. Even though she had a room booked, etc., she had no idea what the Park was. She thought it was just a small area of land, like a thousand acres of state park land with mountains and a couple of lakes.

When you travel to other states, and talk to folks who share the same outdoor pursuits as you, you quickly learn how unique the Adk Park is and how people have no concept of its size and scope.

Adirondack chairs are known far and wide, but few are aware of the correlation between the name and the place. Of course, that's the case with a lot of names, phrases, items that are in the rotation of our lives. Same deal with Thousand Islands dressing.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast