Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/28 Solution In Sight For Opening Redfield Snowmobile Trails

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    And how long have you been paying attention at tc.com?
    LOL. I know, but couldn't resist! As for sounds of diesels: 1. John Deere 2. Yanmar (in my JD garden tractor) 3. Detroit 4. Powerstroke (Ford's version NOT Navistars).

Per the NYSSA October Newsletter on October 12, 2017:

http://nysnowmobiler.com/wp-content/...m_medium=email

Redfield Trail Issue Update

Many have read or heard about recent trail closures in addition to the Redfield issue. Reroutes will be needed, new bridges or culverts may berequired on the reroutes as well. And thatís after the initial landowner permission and/or state agency permits were obtained, tree trimming/cutting, signing, and making the trails safe as possible as by-passes to trail closure situations will then also be addressed. Clubsí goal for the trail system is to keep the connectivity of their open and passable, for our enjoyment to go from one community to another to another, as well as for local economic business which helps everyone with keeping local taxes down. And the clubs need volunteer help with their lofty goal!

As of this writing, no new updates have come in from the club regarding the landowner either changing their minds and allowing the trail to proceed as in the past years OR any definitive reroute options being open for this year. Watch the Redfield Snowmobile Associationís Facebook page as well as NYSSAísfor any known updates and opportunities to help them out.

Thank you for update!

Rumor mill has it a agreement has been made allowing the club two more years use of these trails?
    Lafayette Trail Riders
    Snow Valley Riders
    Tully Trail Blazers
    Redfield Snowmobile Association

Default Lots of rumors

I have heard lots of rumors on this trail with little fact to them. However, at the moment the club's board is not aware of the agreement you speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by 600SDI View Post
    I have heard lots of rumors on this trail with little fact to them. However, at the moment the club's board is not aware of the agreement you speak of.
    Thanks John, two different people who belong to the MRC told me of this when I was up there yesterday, I figured if anyone would know it would be you.
    Lafayette Trail Riders
    Snow Valley Riders
    Tully Trail Blazers
    Redfield Snowmobile Association

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    Thanks John, two different people who belong to the MRC told me of this when I was up there yesterday, I figured if anyone would know it would be you.
    IMO, we're about a week or so away from the point where it's a dead issue for this season.
    Any thing after that leaves it unfunded and without enough time to get it ready for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by EDGE6r View Post
    Steve needs to realize that we pay taxes, enjoy nature, snowmobiles and NYS Forests (public land) in the winter...
    The snowmobiling community does a terrible job of communicating this message. Maybe the riders who enjoy riding in this area should send a later or make a phone call to Steve? You certainly canít expect someone else to do it for you. NYSSA canít help you and no overpriced lobbyists in Albany are going to change the DECía mind either. Only you can save the local trails that you love.

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    NYSSA canít help you
    And once again I'll say it ,
    Tell me again why we need them !?
    Stay right
    and slow down....

You aren't that good that you can't wreck

Quote Originally Posted by crofty View Post
    And once again I'll say it ,
    Tell me again why we need them !?
    I support NYSSA's existence. Are they perfect? No. However, they do provide a statewide voice for an activity/sport that requires a lot of support to exist. That voice is what keeps snowmobiling on the radar, promoting the sport, its benefits, and balancing that against well-organized and funded groups that support a different vision for the public and private lands of New York.

NYSSA is an NGO (non-governmental organization). They do not have an actual seat at the legislative table. At times, I think NYSSA promotes an image that do have everything but an actual seat, which I think creates unrealistic expectations for an organization that has the primary role of influencing decision-making in the State, not actually participating in decision-making.

Sometimes an NGO wins what they want, often they lose, sometimes they end up with a compromise. That is the way it works when you have no official power. It is a relationship-based existence, as lawmakers are likely to listen longer and work on behalf of the NGO if there is an established connection. NYSSA cannot make something happen directly. Evidence of NYSSA's influence is a statewide insurance policy instead of clubs having to secure their own insurance, which ended quickly when the main insurance providers stopped offering a binder that covered trails; NYSSA's influence resulted the SRRA, embedded in which was the statewide trail policy, a much more attractive business option logistically for an insurance company because of the scope of it and the premium, vs. dealing with 200 clubs vs. Parks. Another example is the recent legislation addressing fines for registration and increased $$ for law enforcement.

Let's be honest. 99% of New Yorkers do not care about snowmobiling. With 100,000 sleds registered, that's 0.005% of the population of the state owning a sled, and we all know there are far fewer snowmobilers than 100,000 since many own more sleds than they have riders. Furthermore, this is a Democratic state. Snowmobiling areas are almost entirely represented by Republicans. The majorities in the Assembly and almost majority in the Senate have even less motivation to care about snowmobiling because it occurs in areas that are not part of the state government's power structure. The fact that snowmobiling gets ANY attention is a testament to NYSSA.

I give King Andrew Cuomo credit for even glancing at snowmobiling, forget actually taking time to do the Governor's Ride (Gov. Paterson could have ridden, but only down Parker Rd., and a tennis court net to stop him at Parker's Corners). What the he** does he have to gain? Support from a bunch of anti-SAFE act Republicans? Unikely.

What would snowmobiling in NY look like without some sort of statewide organization in place? Two hundred fragmented clubs with two hundred different agendas, no political power of any kind beyond their towns, perhaps counties, if they have a well-organized and led federation. Considering how many counties do not have a rep in the existing structure, I doubt it would be sustainable.

After all, take a look at what ATV trail riding looks like in NY. No state organization, just a handful of local clubs with a few trails.

NYSSA is far from perfect, but I am glad we have them. We get a lot more back than the two Dunkin Donuts medium coffees per year it takes to keep them around.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast