Thread: Cost to build cabin per square

Default Cost to build cabin per square

Is it cheaper to stick build a cabin up here or has anyone bought one of those log home kits, or a modular cabin, not sure what is the most cost effective way per square foot to build

Personal experience. We've stick built 3 homes up there and built 1 log home all in redfield and the log kit is a pain in the you know what. You have to drill everything literally. It's easier to stick build and easier to run wires and so forth
    2006 Polaris fusion
    2012 Polaris rush

It all depends how big you want it. Maybe Bolyston Rider will chime in. I know he did a North Country Shed and I think he's happy with it. I got a 14 x 20 for my car love it.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

We built a small log home in 2001. The advantage of a log home is no insulation or interior finishes need to be applied after the framing and exterior is done.
    "Persistent Violator"

In 2008 we had a 14x32 framed up by north country sheds in Sandy Creek. It was framed to code as it needed to be inspected. It was damn cheap and I got everything finished in one summer.. 13g finished, with furnace and electrical service install to the camp. Did it all out of pocket too.
    This summer I had it jacked up, excavated out and solid cored chimney block piers put under it, which I wish I did in the beginning...
    Winona Rec
    Pulaski-Boylston
    Redfield Assn
    Osceola Assn

If building a (house) a log cabin is usually 20-30% more than conventional. But for a camp that may not be depending on emenities etc. and foundation wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Boylston rider View Post
    In 2008 we had a 14x32 framed up by north country sheds in Sandy Creek. It was framed to code as it needed to be inspected. It was damn cheap and I got everything finished in one summer.. 13g finished, with furnace and electrical service install to the camp. Did it all out of pocket too.
    This summer I had it jacked up, excavated out and solid cored chimney block piers put under it, which I wish I did in the beginning...
    When I got mine before it came I put in a pad 9" deep of crushed stone and gave myself a extra 2' all the way around it. Could not believe it, they put it on the money where I wanted it.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

My camp is a 14'x44' North Country Storage Shed. It is ten years old. It was ordered with windows and entry doors installed, but otherwise just a shell. The interior was finished up slowly and is now a two bedroom, one bath camp with a kitchen and common area. High value proposition.

Some downsides to having a shed serve as your camp, from my experience:

-There is little overhang of the eaves; without gutters, the rain and snowmelt keep the bottom of the siding wet
    -The pitch of the roof is not conducive to snow evacuation without raking
    -There is little overhang at the gables, allowing snow to accumulate in front of doors
    -If you order yours with texture-111 siding, North Country will spray paint it. This leaves the bottom edge, closest to ground, vulnerable to rot...especially with the aforementioned eaves
    -Unless it is set on concrete or pilings, the walls will eventually sink down a little from the weight of the roof structure and snow
    -During cold winters (we still have them occasionally), the floors get cold unless the building is skirted in someway. Snow works well!
    -Water and drain lines have a section exposed to the outside, which, obviously, will freeze
    -No basement = no man cave, though it is fun to trick kids into thinking there is a hidden basement with a bowling alley, archery range, pool table, etc.
    -Adding on is tough unless you extend the roofline directly...low roof

That being said, unless you want a really nice vacation home, this is cheap way to get a pretty nice place for not a lot of $$$.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Boylston rider View Post
    Who did that Brian??

Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    Who did that Brian??
    [/COLOR]
    I sent you a Pm
    Winona Rec
    Pulaski-Boylston
    Redfield Assn
    Osceola Assn