Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “mice”

Default “mice”

Ok so let’s hear some personal favorites for getting rid of and or keeping them
    Away from your camps......

Quote Originally Posted by sgviper View Post
    Ok so let’s hear some personal favorites for getting rid of and or keeping them
    Away from your camps......
    Seal your camp. Done

In all seriousness people say they will get in no matter what and that is so not true. I have never had one in my cabin. Go around your cabin and inspect every square inch. This includes the fascia, soffit, soffit vents, underneath, corner trim, roofing edges. Some common areas they will get in that are often overlooked are the end of a metal roof ridge vent, the bottom side of board and batten strips (if gap in siding) soffit vents if any gaps, any service feeds, or plumbing exit locations, vinyl siding corners if not filled at bottom as this gives them a route to the soffit.

What type of siding, soffit, foundation, and roof do you have as that will determine how you approach this. They need an area at least 1/4" to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by firecat12 View Post
    Seal your camp. Done

In all seriousness people say they will get in no matter what and that is so not true. I have never had one in my cabin. Go around your cabin and inspect every square inch. This includes the fascia, soffit, soffit vents, underneath, corner trim, roofing edges. Some common areas they will get in that are often overlooked are the end of a metal roof ridge vent, the bottom side of board and batten strips (if gap in siding) soffit vents if any gaps, any service feeds, or plumbing exit locations, vinyl siding corners if not filled at bottom as this gives them a route to the soffit.

What type of siding, soffit, foundation, and roof do you have as that will determine how you approach this. They need an area at least 1/4" to get in.
    When you find gaps, what do you seal them up with? I have tried Great Stuff; they just chew threw it. Perhaps steel wool?
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

one weekend we caught 12 of them. put those plug in noise things that keep them away. only had a few mice since put them in.
    Tri-Valley Trail Riders

Quote Originally Posted by OrwellianCamper View Post
    When you find gaps, what do you seal them up with? I have tried Great Stuff; they just chew threw it. Perhaps steel wool?
    I have never seen one chew through GE Silicone Caulk. I would cover the hole with wood trim if it is too large to caulk. One other spot people need to keep in mind is metal roofing at the eaves. If the inside closures are wore out or out of place they will crawl right in and up into your ridge vent. Hopefully you have closures at the top and bottom, or at least at the bottom.
    Last edited by firecat12; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OrwellianCamper View Post
    Get the Stainless Steel pot scrubber pads... very coarse steel wool.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/sta...RoCFQYQAvD_BwE
    "Persistent Violator"

Name:  14976582_10207531766916925_1168620830398212727_o.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  43.8 KB Name:  15032856_10207531768436963_5599109108247062630_n.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  18.4 KB polish mouse trap, works for me every time, no mess, no smell and will keep on working as long as there is bait on it, conventional traps only catch one at a time, poison and they go off in a wall and die and stink. Do not use water, use antifreeze, it acts like embalming fluid hence the no smell.
    Lafayette Trail Riders
    Snow Valley Riders
    Tully Trail Blazers
    Redfield Snowmobile Association

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Size:  18.4 KB polish mouse trap, works for me every time, no mess, no smell and will keep on working as long as there is bait on it, conventional traps only catch one at a time, poison and they go off in a wall and die and stink. Do not use water, use antifreeze, it acts like embalming fluid hence the no smell.
    That's hands down the best way to kill them. Set it up and come back to a bucket of dead mice.

As far as keeping them out, if to have a gap big enough to need foam or steel wool, you need to fill those spots either with glued in blocking, tin, or foam then seal it up with caulk.

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    Actually set a couple of these contraptions when I
    Left Sunday.... it’ll be interesting to see how they do

Quote Originally Posted by sgviper View Post
    Actually set a couple of these contraptions when I
    Left Sunday.... it’ll be interesting to see how they do
    As long as your can can spin very freely then the hunting should be good! If you do not catch any and all the peanut butter is still there then you probably dont have a rodent problem, also does help to refresh the bait every couple of months.
    Lafayette Trail Riders
    Snow Valley Riders
    Tully Trail Blazers
    Redfield Snowmobile Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast