Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New "No Registration Fines" Passed

Am I understanding this correctly? Higher fines to put money into the trail fund to help pay for law enforcement? If so then one would assume the cost of more law enforcement out ways the amount of revenue coming in from unregistered fines by a long shot. This smells of a classic NYS debacle..
    Winona Rec
    Pulaski-Boylston
    Redfield Assn
    Osceola Assn

The main problem I see with unregistered is they are likely uninsured also. Anyone who has a qualm with higher fines for "No Registration" needs to take into account what happens when an uninsured rider causes property damage, injures someone or kills someone. Just remember it could be YOUR PROPERTY, or LOVED ONE that gets damaged, injured or killed.
    "Persistent Violator"

And...unregistered sleds do not pay into the Trail Fund either. The new higher fines should be a bigger deterrent to those looking to get away with no paying into the system, while getting to enjoy it. So, having more register AND getting half of the unregistered fine amounts should more than cover the additional LEO funding...which, BTW, has remained at the same levels as when it was first enacted back in 1985.

The Governor's Office was actually skeptical about signing the Bill, because they were concerned about the $50k coming from the Trail Fund for the clubs. So, looks like they are understanding of the funding situation with clubs.
    Stay Right and BETWEEN the Stakes!!

Join a club WHEREVER you ride!

Outlaws will b outlaws no matter what the fine.... I prefer more law enforcement but not funded from the trail fund.
    Winona Rec
    Pulaski-Boylston
    Redfield Assn
    Osceola Assn

Quote Originally Posted by Boylston rider View Post
    Outlaws will b outlaws no matter what the fine.... I prefer more law enforcement but not funded from the trail fund.
    The unfortunate situation is that many County budgets cut LEO snowmobile patrols back due to their low reimbursement from the Trail Fund. Hence, less or no patrols at all. 25 snowmobile-related fatalities last year and LOTS of reports of near-misses with riders out of control and/or on the wrong side of the trail. How much is one's safety worth?

Quote Originally Posted by 800cc28 View Post
    The unfortunate situation is that many County budgets cut LEO snowmobile patrols back due to their low reimbursement from the Trail Fund. Hence, less or no patrols at all. 25 snowmobile-related fatalities last year and LOTS of reports of near-misses with riders out of control and/or on the wrong side of the trail. How much is one's safety worth?
    The law enforcement should be doing their job regardless of funding if their job is actually to save lives. The counties get money from every ticket. That should be where the funding comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    The law enforcement should be doing their job regardless of funding if their job is actually to save lives. The counties get money from every ticket. That should be where the funding comes from.
    We would think that is the case, eh? But have you noticed less and less LEO patrols on the trails the past several years? I recall a thread here that stated exactly that, in response to fatal accidents reports. The Trail Fund law has always included LEO patrol funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Boylston rider View Post

Don't we as snowmobilers pay our own way?
    I don't have a problem with such a small portion of our money going to enforcement.
    Chris
    Orleans County Snowdrifters
    Shawnee Sno-Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by can-amsledder View Post
    Don't we as snowmobilers pay our own way?
    I don't have a problem with such a small portion of our money going to enforcement.
    Exactly... If snowmobiling did not exist there would be no need for local LE to have a snowmobile patrol, snowmobiles, etc.

Of course on the opposite side of the coin there is the local money generated by sales tax, room tax, etc. that could pay for snowmobile LE patrols... That is if the local businesses actually reported all the CASH they are bringing in.
    "Persistent Violator"

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    If tickets were the only source of funding wouldn't that lead to LEO's writing even BS tickets just to pay for their work. Not really an ideal situation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast