Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Communicators

It's so convenient having them. You don't have to stop at intersections for 10 min to figure out where you want to go. You can discuss before you get there and I use mine for music and my phone also.
    2006 Polaris fusion
    2012 Polaris rush

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    I canít imagine how annoying it would be to have 8 people jabbering away in my ear for the whole day, but thatís just me.
    Not any jabbering going on at all,we use it mainly for safety
    I feel the need for speed

Proud member of Purple palace inn,Redfield,NewYork

Proud member of Redfield Sno-rec club

Default We have Sena SMH-20's

We have had the Sena 20's for a few years now, very small and lightweight units. Bought them right before a trip to Quebec so my dad and I could stay in touch. They work great at close range and open terrain (easily over 1/2 mile) however in the woods the range goes down significantly (maybe 1/4 mile). If the connection breaks it typically automatically reconnects however sometimes you have to tap the button on the unit but the button is big and easy to do with gloves on while moving. Reception is always very clear when connected!

90% of the time we have no issues and its very nice to warn him behind me when someone is coming or a obstacle appears in the trail. Its great if someone needs to stop or if you miss a turn and the person behind you can tell you without waiting till the next stop or chasing them like a wild goose to flag them down. The best part is being able to warn him of oncoming maniacs taking their half of the trail out of the middle...

The phone and music work great, plenty loud enough and easy to maneuver through channels or playlist. Music starts and stops automatically when someone talks.

I will switch the unit between open face and closed face helmets (5 min job) with no issue and no worries of wind noise.

The charge lasts all day without any problems if temps are above zero, the extreme cold will shorten the life of the battery. In Quebec it was negative 10-15 deg F one morning when we took off and the units would went dead after an hour or so in the extreme cold, warmed the battery up in your pocket at a rest break and its good as new once the battery is warmed up. This was a morning when our eyes would water and freeze to our faces it was so cold so I was surprised the battery even lasted as long as it did..

If you are riding with someone inexperienced (wife, kids, new riders) I highly recommend these for being able to make sure they are doing ok without stopping all the time.

Sena has an app for the phone that is great and also allows updates of the units as new technology updates become available.

Hope this helps!
    Work hard, play hard!

Thank you ORANGE F-7, That's exactly the kind of review I was looking for!
    I didn't care if it was good, bad, or ugly I just wanted to know a little about these things before I went and invested in them.

Default We use U Clear

We just started using the U clear 200 last year and worked great. Battery lasted all day and never had a time where they didn't work. Only problem is you know who forgot the TUMS after you stop to eat. But seriously worked great to warn my buddies dad about oncoming sleds and to let our lead know to pull over and let the faster guys go around us. When I was with the wife and kids it worked great to see how the kids were doing with out having to stop and could coach them along the way. The only thing I don't like with them is having to pair them again when you stop for awhile. What is nice with them is no boom. The mics are incorporated into the speakers and never had an issue understanding anyone. Found mine on Ebay last year for $225 for a dual set, but not this year. I found a dual set of U Clear 220 from the Netherlands for 179 plus 28 shipping. They will be here tomorrow. Only thing that looks different is they have the European plug but I don't use the wall plug to charge them so it should not matter.

My brother and I use the SENA SMH-10 and they sound great. The batteries last all day on a full charge. If you get separated in the woods the range is good for a 1/4-1/3 of a mile. Open area the range is closer to 1/2-3/4 of a mile. Great unit for the price. Furthermore, their customer support is eager to help with any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by toolmaker View Post
    We are looking at getting new communicators this year.
    Has anybody out there used them and what have you had good luck with??
    One other guy and myself had bought a couple Chatterbox's several years ago, they worked good when the batteries were good but we struggled keeping the batteries charged. They were also a little bulky compared to all the ones I'm seeing out there today.
    Thanks, looking forward to hearing everybody's reviews on these things to help me decide on what we purchase.
    I don't know if you ride with your wife or if you have one but years ago when we rode allot I though it was a good idea for safety what a mistake. Don't get me wrong I love riding with my wife but think about what is going to happen when you do something stupid and you will, even if you think it isn't. Needless to say by the end of the day they were gone. (You can't hear the names there calling you if you don't have one.)
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Lol that's funny. The girls have them too but they don't chatter all day. I know my wife gets annoyed when we talk bc her radio stops playing lol
    2006 Polaris fusion
    2012 Polaris rush

Quote Originally Posted by sledrider80 View Post
    Lol that's funny. The girls have them too but they don't chatter all day. I know my wife gets annoyed when we talk bc her radio stops playing lol
    You really have to think about it. Your going to fast, your riding like a old man today, I have to pee, when are you going to stop to eat, I think I need gas, I have to pee, why did you go this way the trail sucks, you need to get me home or back to camp, I have to pee, I keep hearing a noise, It's to cold, I have to pee. ALL DAY.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Can honestly say my wife n the women we ride with are not like that luckily 😀😂
    2006 Polaris fusion
    2012 Polaris rush

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast