Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Locker vs Detroit Locker

Default Air Locker vs Detroit Locker

Anyone have any experience with lockers in Tucker differentials? We have a 1000 with open diffs, would like to do something. Air has been recommended, but will a much cheaper Detroit locker work almost as well? Will probably do only 1 end this year, the other next.

Don't no anything about groomers, Detroit lockers are indistructable and air lockers are nice to be able to unlock but more costly. They do make steering more difficult and tear up terrain more, maybe that's why they don't come from factory like that?

Call the guys at Randy's ring and pinion and see what they say https://www.ringpinion.com/
    www.northernchateau.com
    www.facebook.com/northernchateau

only have experience with both in 4x4 trucks
    the ARB air lockers will save you $$ in the long run IMO, as being able to go in and out , saves a LOT of wear and tear on parts, drive shafts, u joints, tires(tracks) steering linkages , tie rods and such
    fully locked, add's a LOT of added effort to all things
    so being able to switch ON or OFF is a BIG plus, and will even save you fuel not that it matters to you's maybe
    but its there
    so the air locker gets my vote here?

When the air lockers are locked in the steering effort is much greater than when the are out and the machine will push badly. I canít imagine grooming with them in all of the time.

Running a locker when you don't need it will do more harm to the trail than good.
    "Persistent Violator"

Default air locker

Quote Originally Posted by Yamacat1 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with lockers in Tucker differentials? We have a 1000 with open diffs, would like to do something. Air has been recommended, but will a much cheaper Detroit locker work almost as well? Will probably do only 1 end this year, the other next.
    I would talk to the service manager @ Get Sno . They are very knowledgeable. If we ever add lockers we will go with the air locker to minimize drive component stress when a locked diff is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by 600 adventure View Post
    I would talk to the service manager @ Get Sno . They are very knowledgeable. If we ever add lockers we will go with the air locker to minimize drive component stress when a locked diff is not required.
    We have been talking to Get Sno. They recommend an air locker, installed in the front 1st since we will do only 1 this year. Was just trying to find out if there might be a cheaper alternative, ie Detroit Locker. Looks like we will go with the air locker, picking it up on Friday. We will only use it when needed, don't need any extra stress on the trail or machine.

yes the front is most likely all you will actually need to be honest, as there is more weight up front and traction to be had as you can turn the front end and place it in different spots
    where ,as the rear is stuck in where ever it is!
    you will be amazed at the difference in GO it will have when that front end is clocked in
    steering effort is harder due to BOTH wheel's/ tracks pulling at once and thus ONLY wants to go straight, so turning is harder for sure, but having the air locker you can put in when needed and off when done
    you will also then have an on board air compressor (more useful maybe on trucks that you can air up and down tires LOL)

Default air lock on our 95 tucker

we had a problem yrs ago guys were using it constantly ; compressor wiped out ; put a new compresser [in the cab] in out from under the hood ; when its on; you hear it and we put the light on the dash or lighted switch. I think its still going strong as I recall ! I always said it was made for getting out from being stuck. have used it a few times grooming in icy hills! its great on our tucker!
    if i said it once, i'll say it again. what was it i said?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast