Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Save the Base

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    If it's so sensitive an area that you can't ride on it when it is covered with snow, but the temperature is over 35 degrees then it probably shouldn't be a funded trail.
    The key words! Remember, 3 inch packed base minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    Some of the trails that were closed could have had a 6Ē to 12Ē base. The closures seemed to have been based solely on the forecasted temperatures.

I'd like to see where it states that anywhere in the grant paperwork. The only place 3" of snow I ever saw mentioned was in the Snowmobile Safety Class. Even there though is says 3" of snow cover and nothing about it being packed base.

Quote Originally Posted by Drift Breaker View Post
    I'd like to see where it states that anywhere in the grant paperwork. The only place 3" of snow I ever saw mentioned was in the Snowmobile Safety Class. Even there though is says 3" of snow cover and nothing about it being packed base.
    That is how we as a club interpret it, 3 inchs of snow cover means nothing. Will be at camp thru the weekend, if you are in the area stop buy.

That is how we as a club interpret it, 3 inchs of snow cover means nothing. Will be at camp thru the weekend, if you are in the area stop buy.
    That's the difference though that's your own club using that determination. Which is fine and actually a respectable point. I think what Orange was trying to point out is these clubs who say "it's going to be above freezing for a day, we need to close the trails NOW!" as being the real issue. I rode yesterday in 3 different counties and saw 3 different types of conditions. Most of them are going to lose the snow they have no matter how many inches of base there was.

I probably won't make it up there this weekend. Maybe tomorrow but that's up in the air as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Drift Breaker View Post
    That's the difference though that's your own club using that determination. Which is fine and actually a respectable point. I think what Orange was trying to point out is these clubs who say "it's going to be above freezing for a day, we need to close the trails NOW!" as being the real issue. I rode yesterday in 3 different counties and saw 3 different types of conditions. Most of them are going to lose the snow they have no matter how many inches of base there was.

I probably won't make it up there this weekend. Maybe tomorrow but that's up in the air as of yet.
    I was in watertown at 1 pm; my readout on my van read 60F wind atleast 15 mph. snow was about gone from Pulaski all the way up; creeks running over their banks; the hill is usually 10F colder; its gotta be toast up on the hill; especially if the *******s with no clue try to ride; it will hit single digits tomorrow night highest snow prediction is down around the city of Oswego; a few inches predicted for the hill; ; hill temps will be below freezing by tomorrow but the water will be a problem ; even for groomers; my back field by Selkirk state park is green; stay away for now; I will post when conditions get good enough to ride! cabin repair weekend and snowmobile repairs and pm weekend! be safe either way
    if i said it once, i'll say it again. what was it i said?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12