Thread: Diamond Pond look-M.L.K. weekend

Default Diamond Pond look-M.L.K. weekend

Arive Thursday temp 34 as weeks below zero times end and heavy rain 50 + times then a flash freeze happen. Too bad as conditions were great most every where and likely a recovery time will be needed after all the rain. The good news the ground has a significant base that will likely survive and a few inches of new snow expected by late tomorrow. The snow here at the pond was near the 20 inch plus range as almost none had melted as of yesterday afternoon. Now Friday at 9 A.M. 50 degrees and the pond is all water on the ice surface. Lets hope flooding does not happen as has in the past. Kind of limits riding to slopping around at best. I am sure most clubs would hope riders wait for conditions to improve and save the cover on the trails. I will update as I will be here for the flash freeze and snow by tomorrow. Thanks to my summer lawn mowing person deck was clear and garage roof done. The house nice and warm inside all is well glad to be here and now the heart of the season happens. Stay tuned!!

Default Not good Friday night 7 P.M.

Mild 50's all day significant snow melt more than 50% has melted. Only a soon temp drop will save conditions here as Colebrook areas already half bare ground. A shame as the north country economy and conditions were off to a great start and now nearing start over in some locations. With the last three weeks all the snow came with bitter cold a lots of FLUFF inches. No body to the snow cover so the rain and wind are eating it away at an alarming rate. It has given me a chance to register sleds and get the sleds and house in best winter shape. No worry about water as flooding everywhere. I will update tomorrow as to how much damage happens.

We were planning on a trip around the end of the month. Hopefully more snow shows up or we will have to switch to Plan B.

Default Saved!! Saturday 8 A.M.

At 8.30 A.M. 11 above strong N.W. winds heavy sleet. Hard to believe so cold and still sleeting. Now bitter cold and all water freezing very fast and a coating of 3/4 inch of sleet and freezing rain has us in a very icy state. It looks as if the lake and standing water are already mostly frozen. More than half the snow pack was eaten away but here at Diamond Pond trails remain well covered and likely the water will help solidify a hard long lasting base.
    It was about 9 A.M. last night when the South east wind changed to west! Temp 52 degrees. By 11 P.M. it was 30 and freezing rain mixed with sleet. With my sleds all set likely after breakfast perhaps a trail ride to check conditions as I look out my window unless I reach a flooded spot all SDR trails still well covered and can be groomed with only a few inches of new snow to be back to perfect. Colebrook trails were very thin by yesterday afternoon. The hard sleet cover with any new snow could see ridable trails by later today. I wll report later. This rain will only be a short set back its recovery time now.Great trails very soon. Stay tuned.

Default trails

Trails off of Diamond Pond have remained in start up state nothing yet. Ice safe but around the edge slop and slush. Other trails had water run bys gushing but every where else still fine coverage and should be O.K. once groomed. Those up here are riding. At 8 P.M. (sat.) -2 wind howling. All will be normal very soon! Out for now!