Thread: Ch 13 news in Rochester

Default Ch 13 news in Rochester

This morning, they reported that NYS has "secured $5 million dollars in grants to fund snowmobile trails" across the State.

Ummm...

...isn't this just the trail fund, which is tapped into by clubs via the grant process?

...or am I missing something?

If this is indeed just a reporting of the fund balance from reggie $$, who butchered this news release? Sheesh. I can't find the story on their website, so maybe they pulled it...
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by OrwellianCamper View Post
    This morning, they reported that NYS has "secured $5 million dollars in grants to fund snowmobile trails" across the State.

Ummm...

...isn't this just the trail fund, which is tapped into by clubs via the grant process?

If this is indeed just a reporting of the fund balance from reggie $$, who butchered this news release? Sheesh. I can't find the story on their website, so maybe they pulled it...
    This is everywhere. To me the headline is very misleading, it does say in the body of the release that this money is from snowmobile registrations. This is how the state works. When they offer millions for ski area improvements they say the same. But the money is not the same. I would think this would piss off some people, thinking the state is using their tax money to fund snowmobiling, regardless of the economic impact.

Quote Originally Posted by OrwellianCamper View Post

Ummm...

Just our Super Hero Gov making it look like he really does something for the sport.....

Quote Originally Posted by Drift Breaker View Post
    Just our Super Hero Gov making it look like he really does something for the sport.....
    Iím sure that most of the 95 percenters believe the BS that he is peddling. He knows that most people only read the headlines.

Default 2016-2017 numbers

it snowed a LOT here in Penfield last night, been shovelling for a couple hours ... 18" at least, fairly light powdery snow
    someday i'll buy a snowblower when my shoulder is totally shot

HERE is the numbers rollup from the 2016-2017 season, courtesy of OPRHP
    https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/snow...asonSlides.pdf

I guess that $5M is an estimate ... that registrations will be much higher this year than last
    if I understand it correctly
    Last edited by Polarizer; 1 Week Ago at 09:03 AM.

In the article I read the 5m included the RTP groomer grants

The seat at the table is finally paying dividends.

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    The seat at the table is finally paying dividends.
    If by that you mean some directors are putting on the pounds I agree...
    "Persistent Violator"

Chris
    Orleans County Snowdrifters
    Shawnee Sno-Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by Polarizer View Post
    it snowed a LOT here in Penfield last night, been shovelling for a couple hours ... 18" at least, fairly light powdery snow
    someday i'll buy a snowblower when my shoulder is totally shot

HERE is the numbers rollup from the 2016-2017 season, courtesy of OPRHP
    https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/snow...asonSlides.pdf

I guess that $5M is an estimate ... that registrations will be much higher this year than last
    if I understand it correctly
    Yeah, I have lived here five years and have noticed that this part of eastern Monroe gets the most snow in the county. If it is going to snow, particularly lake effect on a NW wind, we max it out. I am thinking it is geographic location, plus elevation. The land here is 300' higher than just seven miles to the north at the lakeshore. Elevation and objects irritate the atmosphere and make it generate more snow.

A Georgian Bay-Lake Ontario connection seems to pummel a NW --> SE line from Irondequoit through Penfield and into Walworth. Kinda neat to see the consistent pattern.

By the way, would you get me some trail access, please?!? It's now three miles of road riding to get to a Webster trailhead!! :-)
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.