Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail Conditions on and around the Hill

Quote Originally Posted by hamcotrailrider View Post
    The high volume of water, flooding, ice jams, etc. have resulted in FEET OF WATER over trails and even roads in some places. It has weakened and actually taken out many trail bridges, etc.

The drop to well below freezing and then snow overnight has covered up a lot of this standing water which makes it even more dangerous. Some seasonal roads and high areas may be OK but you are risking you life if you are not extremely careful. If you get stuck on any remote place, there will be no way to get a groomer or other equipment to pull you out.

The Black River at the Glenfield boat launch is higher than I have ever seen it. Water is over the parking area and up to the bottom of the observation platform which is on the opposite side from the river. Thai platform is easily 10 feet above ground, 15 above the normal level of the marsh, and probably 25 or more above normal river level. I have never seen it this high. There are now more roads in Lewis County closed due to flooding than any time in the past 19 years that I have been in the area. There is a no unnecessary travel order still in effect. The county is considering declaring a state of emergency due to the massive cleanup effort that will be required.

It remains to be seen how much recovery is possible. I am pretty sure some trails will never reopen this season. Because of ice jams and/or blockage by debris, the water may never recede until spring and even then bridges which were damaged or washed away will need to be rebuilt.

You will be able to do some riding if you come, clubs can use your help, and the local economy can surely use your help because cleanup is going to be expensive, but just don't expect that things will be back to normal in a few days.
    Well said. I wish more people on here would be so rational instead of calling people names and finger pointing at those who come to the area to enjoy the sport. Itís not news that some do not use common sense when these situations arise and I am sure itís frustrating to local residents. I try to make the trip once a season and enjoy what the clubs hard work provides. I wish I had the time to come up and put some time in helping as I do here at home. Anyways I hope everyone affected is safe and warm and everything will clean up in the end.

Salmon river road to little John was really good. Tucker, Hawley, Wart, Bargy, Hessel are all great. Very nice ride. Tons of sleds out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustacherider19 View Post
    Salmon river road to little John was really good. Tucker, Hawley, Wart, Bargy, Hessel are all great. Very nice ride. Tons of sleds out.
    I can't believe you saw tons of sleds out ; I took a ride to many unloading stations and very few rigs in the busiest areas; well you saw what you saw and trails didn't need grooming; you save the clubs some fuel!
    if i said it once, i'll say it again. what was it i said?

Quote Originally Posted by mcstar View Post
    No, just the one's from NYC and Jersey.......!
    You're right nj and NYC are the only ones riding you moron. I seen lot of ppl from ny riding too. Sit home n do us all a favor.
    2006 Polaris fusion
    2012 Polaris rush

Watts the general consensus on how to get back at it to clean trails up? I’m going to Be up this weekend and if there are crews going out to do damage control, I’m in, specifically Winona or Redfield.
    It sure is funny how people are all talk no action... when they actually get there they just go out riding like everyone else.
    "Persistent Violator"

Juiced 10 and myself just got done grooming all the trails in Altmar. we hit happy Valley then the railroad tracks over to Albion crossroads. Then old smoky over to the groomer barn and back. there is a few minor water holes in Happyvalley nothing dangerous nothing deep. stay on the trail and you're fine. The Williamstown guys have been out all day working on the trails also. there's one big waterhole heading towards Maple Hill right after you cross Route 17 at the end of lovers lane. there's also another one on Maple Hill. just remember go around them or pin it to win it. The trails held up a lot better than expected with all the rain.

33 hours grooming. 0 sled miles.

if you are out there riding you are not helping! Clubs have asked us to please stay off the trails and have warned that conditions are not good, if not dangerous! Some people just have no common sense or consideration. Yes, some areas did not get hit as bad as others and there are a couple clubs who do not have much damage and were out with groomers.....but why cant people just have some sense and give the trails some time to harden back up.

5 of us went for a ride yesterday afternoon started by timberview and rode around the top of the hill. There is a few water holes you have to watch for.talked to a group from Florida that was staying at timberview.so you are saying stay off trails how about if you spent x amount of money to come here on vacation and there was snow to ride what would you do.i know what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    if you are out there riding you are not helping! Clubs have asked us to please stay off the trails and have warned that conditions are not good, if not dangerous! Some people just have no common sense or consideration. Yes, some areas did not get hit as bad as others and there are a couple clubs who do not have much damage and were out with groomers.....but why cant people just have some sense and give the trails some time to harden back up.
    I would have to disagree. The trails need to have the water holes opened up and exposed so the snowmobiles, I believe, are actually helping. The only negative of sleds being out are the ones getting stuck, causing for hazards or additional work if clubs decide to help.

Doesnít this somewhat fall into the same category as heavy lake effect- the sleds going out before groomers help expose hidden objects, waterholes, and assist in packing it down?

Iím taking my kids for a ride today once it warms up a bit.

Phantom- as the PA raised Taylor Swift says, ďAnd the Haters are gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.Ē Enjoy sitting behind your computer in NJ, being extremely bored and giving your opinions that no one wants or listens to.

Winona to Barnes Corners Has been great so far. Pick and choose where to ride and you will have a great time.
    Just wondering if you went down tucker across the swamp along rt.17, 17 by pass and beaver creek and how bad they are?
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast