Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: temporary trail closing

Default temporary trail closing

Feb. 14 part of C5-a will be closed. The part known as beaver creek will be closed, or from C.C. rd. to Little John rd. We will have someone posted at each end we have no time limit or at what time. There is a leaner we called D.E.C. about per T.R.P. because it's larger than 10" around so they have to cut it. So far it took 2 weeks for them to get back to us because they first had to have someone walk back to look at it now they will send don't know how many and what kind of equipment they'll bring to do the job. at what cost ? When volunteers could have done it in 1/2 hour tops, cost to them 0. Tell us again how D.E.C. doesn't have any money, wait a min. I think I answered my own question.
    Last edited by Loner 618; 1 Week Ago at 05:55 PM.
    No B.S. here, just fact.Ask me.
    1% er

common sense has NO place in life any more it almost seems
    red tape, paperwork and EVERYONE wanting to get paid to have simple things done, yet all will complain about having to do anything
    its a shame how we have to jump thru hoops today to get by without bringing issue's onto ourselves!
    sucks but what can we do, it will ONLY get worse, folks have bent over so long taking it MOST just seem to think its how life is supposed to be these days?

Default The tree is cut

So lets figure this out. Three weeks ago D.E.C. was notified about the tree. They sent one guy up to look at it 1 hour up 1 hour back and 1 hour to walk in and out and say it needs to be cut. Wen. 2 guys came up to cut it 1 hour up 1 hour back for 2 people. Equipment used 1 snowmobile 1 chain saw. 1 guy rode 1 guy walked time used to cut the tree 4 1/2 hours. After 1 hour they had to come out to get more wedges I think the pros may have got there saw pinched. Cost for D.E.C. to cut it ??? Cost for a snowmobile club volunteer to do it and time, 000 on cost and 1/2 hour tops to do the job.
    By the way it wasn't cut in log length it's pieces that are going to rot.
    1% er

Default gov't will handel it

Quote Originally Posted by Loner 618 View Post
    So lets figure this out. Three weeks ago D.E.C. was notified about the tree. They sent one guy up to look at it 1 hour up 1 hour back and 1 hour to walk in and out and say it needs to be cut. Wen. 2 guys came up to cut it 1 hour up 1 hour back for 2 people. Equipment used 1 snowmobile 1 chain saw. 1 guy rode 1 guy walked time used to cut the tree 4 1/2 hours. After 1 hour they had to come out to get more wedges I think the pros may have got there saw pinched. Cost for D.E.C. to cut it ??? Cost for a snowmobile club volunteer to do it and time, 000 on cost and 1/2 hour tops to do the job.
    And so it goes so concerned about conservation we ALL LIKE IT

Quote Originally Posted by Loner 618 View Post
    So help me understand this.
    You had a tree that had partially fallen over and was preventing passage of a groomer?
    And it was on it's way to being on the ground and becoming a safety issue to sleds?

I understand that the DEC requires a club to get permission to cut a standing tree over 3" diameter, but have never heard of that being applied to leaning or blown down or over trees which obstruct the trail.

Is this some special requirement which is included only in your club's TRP ?

Or is/was someone from the club reading more into the requirement than is really there?

Quote Originally Posted by 600SDI View Post
    You had a tree that had partially fallen over and was preventing passage of a groomer?
    And it was on it's way to being on the ground and becoming a safety issue to sleds?

I understand that the DEC requires a club to get permission to cut a standing tree over 3" diameter, but have never heard of that being applied to leaning or blown down or over trees which obstruct the trail.

Or is/was someone from the club reading more into the requirement than is really there?
    Someone at the DEC wanted to close a bunch of trails. He got his hand slapped by people that were above his pay grade. This is how he pays back snowmobilers for the embarrassment that he has suffered at their hands. He makes rules that will ensure multiple closures throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by orangef7 View Post
    Someone at the DEC wanted to close a bunch of trails. He got his hand slapped by people that were above his pay grade. This is how he pays back snowmobilers for the embarrassment that he has suffered at their hands. He makes rules that will ensure multiple closures throughout the season.
    Is this just your best guess?
    I have yet to hear from anyone who has actually seen any written communication from DEC that includes any new or special rules.

Was this in the WMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Was this in the WMA?
    Yes, it was.

Quote Originally Posted by 600SDI View Post

This was ONE of many requirements in our T.R.P. . Any tree larger than 10'" around they had to be not notified so they could determine if it was sellable timber. You have know idea how many trees we cut when we built those trails with D.E.C.s permission and no hassle. As I said it's now fire wood or a snack for carpenter ants. There are many of us that took the chain saw course to cut on state land. So I ask you why if we can't do it our self ? One of our members, that is his business. Next thing is a class to use lopping shears , N.Y.S.S.A. can put that on there list of classes at the forum.
    Last edited by Loner 618; 3 Days Ago at 07:27 PM.
    1% er

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast