Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Day

Quote Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
    RR8,

Have not heard that about 24 hr stations and no suppressant system. Would seem very odd if that was the case.
    http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s..._vehicles.html
    Stay Right and BETWEEN the Stakes!!

Join a club WHEREVER you ride!

Thanks for the link, but still odd that stations don't have them "just in case".

Quote Originally Posted by mrhayz View Post
    I Wonder what Make Sled it was ? i'm Guessing Arctic Cat , maybee the Firecat
    My guess would be a ski-doo I've seen several of them go up in flames, one cat and never a Poo or Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by NYXC500 View Post
    http://www.localsyr.com/news/local-n...des/966146840#

CONSTANTIA, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) - A fire sparked at a gas station in Constantia put the gas pumps out of service at the Nice N Easy on State Route 49 Saturday.
    Lieutenant Greg Baird said a call came into the Constantia Fire Department around 5:30 p.m. Saturday evening. A snowmobiler pulled up to fill his tank and told crews that a fire erupted just as he finished and pulled the nozzle out.
    A worker quickly shut off power to the pumps while they waited for firefighters to arrive. Crews were able to put out the fire with a combination of foam and water.
    The snowmobiles are destroyed, but no one was hurt.
    Firefighters believe the flames may have been sparked by static electricity. They want to remind individuals that the nozzle of a pump needs to stay in contact with the tank open during fueling.

Has anyone ever heard of a static electricity from filling snowmobiles? Are they all not plastic tanks? Is it possible to get a spark from plastic?

Yeah, I called the news writer out on this one. (No response.) Look at the photos. The gas pumps may be charred, but they are intact. The sleds, not so much.
    A "pump explodes" headline is nothing but click bait & really lame journalism.

Default Grounding

Had a station for 9 yrs ; worked others ; plastic will jump a spark ; if anyone filled a 5 gal container they weren't allowed to leave it on the tailgate of their truck; it had to be on the ground; never had an incident but when the fuel people came around they let us know about it. When the transports came in with 9000 gals; they used a ground strap im thinking it was a plastic strap] hose never went to the tank til the tanker was grounded! A plastic comb will generate static electricity. I gotta believe the report! Just say'in be safe!
    if i said it once, i'll say it again. what was it i said?

Default No static involved

I cut this out of the article on Syracuse.com

"........he could sense something wasn't right just before the explosion.

When it gets up toward the top they automatically shut off, but this time it didn't, he told the station. I suspect it ran down on the exhaust because we were just riding and that was hot and the fumes ignited."

No static involved, he overflowed the tank.
    'Cat guy all my life then big switch to 06 Yamaha Attak then to 06 Fusion 600ho Dragon to '08 F8 now '15 XF 6000 Sno Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 05f7rider View Post
    I cut this out of the article on Syracuse.com

"........he could sense something wasn't right just before the explosion.

When it gets up toward the top they automatically shut off, but this time it didn't, he told the station. I suspect it ran down on the exhaust because we were just riding and that was hot and the fumes ignited."

No static involved, he overflowed the tank.
    I have a hard time believing that the fire started without a spark.

Quote Originally Posted by old jerry View Post
    Had a station for 9 yrs ; worked others ; plastic will jump a spark ; if anyone filled a 5 gal container they weren't allowed to leave it on the tailgate of their truck; it had to be on the ground; never had an incident but when the fuel people came around they let us know about it. When the transports came in with 9000 gals; they used a ground strap im thinking it was a plastic strap] hose never went to the tank til the tanker was grounded! A plastic comb will generate static electricity. I gotta believe the report! Just say'in be safe!
    yes plastic it can make static(also getting in and out of a vehicle is cause at times to static issue's at stations) would guess getting on and off a sled seat would work teh same too!

you can also start a fire while using a cell phone while filling up at a fuel station, that's why they have signs posted to NOT use a cell phone while filling, or really NEAR pumps to be honest!
    lots of time in life its the little things we take for granted that some day burn us!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb1 View Post
    yes plastic it can make static(also getting in and out of a vehicle is cause at times to static issue's at stations) would guess getting on and off a sled seat would work teh same too!

you can also start a fire while using a cell phone while filling up at a fuel station, that's why they have signs posted to NOT use a cell phone while filling, or really NEAR pumps to be honest!
    lots of time in life its the little things we take for granted that some day burn us!
    That was an awfully warm and humid day for static. Nothing is impossible but..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12