Thread: Boyleston - Winona - Barnes Corners - Carthage 2/ 13

Default Boyleston - Winona - Barnes Corners - Carthage 2/ 13

Dropped in Boyleston at Bargey Rd lot at 12:30. Wart Rd lot was full as was plowed road in front of Pulaski Boyleston’s north barn. First time ever I couldn’t park at Wart Rd.

Up Bargey to Tucker and across county rt 17. The swampy area along 17 was hard, flat & solid! Then thru the woods to the S51B. The section of woods east of 17 seemed to be wider than in years past. Up thru Bice & Nichols. the plowed section here & all the other plowed roads are bare and were frozen solid. the little snow on the banks was rock hard and not worth grabbing for lube & cooling.

Did the detour along the power lines to Barnes Corners and hit Tugger’s for lunch. A gazilion sleds, including some antique SkiDoos.

Headed north to wards Carthage to avoid all the idiots I ran into that were either riding in the middle of the trail or on the left side. Too many to count!

I saw maybe 10-sleds, including the antique ones, going to Carthage & back. The fields north of Barnes Corners towards Carthage & Copenhagen are thin & burned off. I didn’t expect this because of how much snow they got this year. I turned around at the Copenhagen loop. Just too many bare spots with lots of ice.

Overall Winona had lots of snow & should survive the big warmup. All trails today were very hard, mostly flat, with icy spots. It will be different Weds & Thursday. It was one of those days were I wish I had scratchers on the sled & I was watching the temp gauge because of how hard the trails were.

I wouldn’t hesitate to drop in Boyleston and cruise Winona Weds & Thursday. The trails to Carthage & Copenhagen, don’t bother.

Icy parking lot at Bargey Rd.
    Name:  IMG_6564.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  23.0 KB

C5A east of county rt 17. This is the section thru the woods going towards Little John Rd. Nice & wide & flat.
    Name:  IMG_6565.jpg
Size:  19.2 KB

The summer home on Bice. It used to be a two story.
    Name:  IMG_6566.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  17.9 KB

The plowed section of Bice Rd.
    Name:  IMG_6567.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  26.5 KB

Full parking lot at Barnes Corners.
    Name:  IMG_6569.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  19.2 KB
    Last edited by oko; 02-13-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Default More pixs

Tuggers around 1:15 p.m.
    Name:  IMG_6571.jpg
Size:  31.4 KB

Old sleds at Tuggers.
    Name:  IMG_6572.jpg
Size:  25.8 KB

C5 towards Carthage.
    Name:  IMG_6574.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  26.8 KB

The detour to Barnes Corners from Winona goes thru the power lines and you approach BC from the north.
    Name:  IMG_6575.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  16.9 KB

Grunley Rd.
    Name:  IMG_6578.jpg
Size:  18.2 KB

Nice report. I knew Carthage would be a stretch given last weekend they barely had enough even after the recent snow they got. Last Friday was epic conditions with low traffic.

I am hoping that the area survives the warm up today and tomorrow... Otherwise its going to be a ****ty weekend up there...
    Work hard, play hard!

Default Nice report

Trails have been really good these last two weeks of vacation.. The lake isn't froze over yet so we still have time for the LE machine to crank up..
    Winona Rec
    Pulaski-Boylston
    Redfield Assn
    Osceola Assn

Quote Originally Posted by Boylston rider View Post
    Trails have been really good these last two weeks of vacation.. The lake isn't froze over yet so we still have time for the LE machine to crank up..
    The lake never freezes over.

Quote Originally Posted by Doo-Man42 View Post
    The lake never freezes over.
    it's rare but Lake Ontario has completely frozen over on five recorded occasions: from about January 20 to about March 20, 1830; in 1874; in 1893; in 1912; and in February 1934.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    it's rare but Lake Ontario has completely frozen over on five recorded occasions: from about January 20 to about March 20, 1830; in 1874; in 1893; in 1912; and in February 1934.
    Dont forget about 2014. I think it was around 90% frozen that year.

On another note, that detour really isn't in effect anymore. That was a 3 or 4 day event when Doug's Drive was closed a couple weeks ago.
    Member of:
    Mexico
    Pulaski Boylston
    Square Valley
    Southern Tug Hill
    Barnes Corners
    TC Riders
    Kasoag
    Redfield
    Valley
    Winona

It's Tabolt. Not Talbot.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Sorry
    Should of said I have never seen it froze the last 35 years. Almost see it everyday at work.