Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Issue

Default Trailer Issue

I have an enclosed Lighting trailer. Two sled, dual axle, v-nose, 14 or 15 inch wheels "out side" not under the trailer, 8 1/2 ft wide.

It really likes to wonder around with cross winds and / or tractor trailers passing us. It appears to be tracking ok. Nice when there are no other vehicles around me. Makes heavy traffic on the three lanes / four lane a little interesting.

Is there any sway bar type kit I can add; like that come on campers, that actually helps? Anyone else have this problem and fixed it? Thanks

What are you pulling it with and is it throwing your tow vehicle around?

its a large square your towing its very prone to side winds and such, , a lot depends on the tow vehicle as to HOW much weight it is, as to how much its being effected by the winds
    I have a similar trailer, but a over the tire deck, which catches a LOT more wind due to sitting taller off the road, towing with a half ton truck , its a little scary, in high traffic and windy days
    BUT towing with my diesel, its a huge difference
    one other thing besides truck pulling it will be, how are you loading trailer onto truck, tongue weight makes a BIG difference , from when set right to wrong(too heavy or too light)
    a easy way to help resolve this is get yourself a weight safe hitch/ball holder with a scale built into it, you can then load trailer the same once you find the best combo of tongue weight for your truck!

Hawkster check your PM
    Mine - 2016 Ski-Doo Renegade Enduro 900 ACE
    Wife's- 2017 Ski-Doo MXZ TNT 900 ACE

"There's No Center Line, and The Right Side Is Mine"

Default Trailer Sway

Hi Hawkster, Sorry to hear you are having such wandering problems with your trailer. The main cause of this is towing with a short wheelbase tow vehicle. What are you towing with? To answer your question about a sway control, yes adding one will really help. It essentially acts as a brake between the trailer and tow vehicle. The one Harbor Freight sells will work fine and the price is right. Someone mentioned about trailer loading. I have always observed that a trailer that is loaded heavily in the front sways less. A trailer that is tail heavy can be a real handful to tow. Feel free to PM me anytime. Always glad to help with trailer issues. I owned a small RV dealership for 35 years, George

Default Be careful with sway bars

They work very well but can also freeze up or rust fast. Do to the conditions your towing in there's an increased risk of that happening. I saw left hooked up over night in the rain and it ripped the mount right out the frame of a camper.

I appreciate everyone's comments, experience and ideas. Most times I am towing it with a full size Chevy Tahoe on trips. I really have only one way to load it, I load from the front. The main weight from the one sled is over the trailer wheels, the other one is closer to the rear wheel or back end. They do not fit loading from the rear into the front V.

I thought with the wheels not being under the deck, I that it would be a little more stable.

Sometimes I pull it with a 3/4 ton GMC truck with not a lot of weight in the bed. When using the truck, it is more for local rides.

Grouse Girl...PM sent Are you up in Germania ? Cheese?? Boy not much if any riding there this year.

Default Trailer issue

If you draw an imaginary line between the two axles across the width of the trailer, the weight distribution is supposed to be 60% toward the tow vehicle and 40% toward the back of that imaginary line.

It sounds like with the sleds being pulled in from the front and the majority of the weight of the machines being the engine, clutch and jack shafts that you might have that distribution backward.

The Tahoe and the truck with that long wheelbase should be excellent tow vehicles. The only concern with the vehicle might be the strength of the sidewalls of the tires.

If you cannot get the sleds far enough forward, place 10 gallons of gas and a fully stocked cooler in the V-nose and see if it doesnt make a difference.

Good luck. It is no fun towing a trailer that isnt following correctly.

Mike

again you need to figure out tongue weight here top see if its too light or too heavy, odds are its too light
    when you load, have you tried driving one in first and going as far into the V as possible and then backing the second one in, this I think would get you more weight up front
    but again, going from too little weight up front to too much isn't going to help fix issue's, and again why I suggest getting yourself a weight safe hitch that has a build in scale in the ball holder, then you can see exactly where your at with tongue weight
    However, if you big issue here is CROSS winds blowing trailer , your still going to have this
    which MIGHT come back to the tires on BOTH your trucks and trailer, if there NOT E rated or likes, the wind blowing onto the sides of things will cause them tires to roll over if there NOT able to hold things as a E rated tire will
    SO, I would also suggest you check and see what load rating you have on your tow vehicles and trailer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast