Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 64-miles Today, Tuesday 2/27/18 Cedar Pine - Salmon River Rd & Winona

Default 64-miles Today, Tuesday 2/27/18 Cedar Pine - Salmon River Rd & Winona

Well, there’s something to be said for driving to the snow. I headed to Osceola way and dropped around 2-ish on a paved dead end spur of Prince Brooke Rd, near Cedar Pines. Prince to Potter was whooped with some rollers. I was looking to make Camp 2 & 4 roads, but forgot my map and made the wrong turn towards Redfield. I did the C5 to the intersection of Little John & Salmon River. Salmon River to the plowed section was flat. Little John between the gates was flat. After the west gate, not so flat. The winds must have been rough over the weekend. Lots of branches down, including some trees on the state land between Blount Mills and Little John. Closer to Little John. It looks like someone had already cut up some previous dead falls nearby. I think this is PB’s? If so, start the NYS paperwork now to have it cut by June.

Winona was outstanding as I suspected it would be. No whoops and flat. Ya gotta watch the trail edges as those & the snow bridges are failing.

Along the C5, near the C5C intersection, I ran out of gas at 55-miles! My sled got 5+MILES TO THE GALLON today. The snow was mushy and dense. I was worried about over heating, but temp light didn’t come on. My ’03 600 rev sport needs to be retired at 10k+ miles.

Back to the trailer by 5:00 with 64-miles. I stopped for two road pops at the Osceola Hotel. Never saw nor heard another sled all day. Icy, snirty, bare, whooped & flat. True spring conditions. Speeds from slow to 50 on short stretches. I bottomed out my sport suspension a dozen times. Fat butt, saddlebags and the extra 2-gallons of fuel don't help.

If I can go tomorrow, I'm thinking of dropping at Montague and doing the top of "The Hill" towards Highmarket. I'm thinking the seasonal roads will have snow cover.

Prince Brook Rd. I went around to the left.
    Name:  snow_001.jpg
Views: 1490
Size:  23.8 KB

One of two windshields on the trail.
    I forgot bungees or I woulda took 'em home to trash.
    Name:  snow_002.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  18.2 KB

where I made the wrong turn along Potter Rd.
    Name:  snow_003.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  27.5 KB

C5 just north of the turn west towards Redfield.
    Name:  snow_005.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  22.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by oko; 02-27-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    Cranky ol' white dude.

Default More photos

Looking east along Salmon River.
    Little John Road is at my back. C5 south is to the right
    Name:  snow_007.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  16.0 KB

Down trees on the C5A
    Name:  snow_008.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  28.0 KB

Old angle iron sign post along Tucker Rd
    For years I've wanted to take a SawsAll to this.
    I may this summer. I put some pink tape on them.
    Name:  snow_010.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  19.7 KB

On the way back I taped it up some more.
    Name:  snow_011.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  19.5 KB

Looking North on Bargey.
    Name:  snow_012.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  21.6 KB
    Last edited by oko; 02-27-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    Cranky ol' white dude.

Default last pixs

Typical collapsed edge of trail.
    This is along Hessel Rd in Winona.
    Name:  snow_013.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  20.2 KB

Name:  snow_014.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  17.4 KB
    Cranky ol' white dude.

You must really want to ride. I would rather my sled sit in the garage than drive to ride on what's left up on the plateau.

Awesome report oko!! Love the pics! I used to do alot of solo riding and loved it!! How far from the hill are you? 3 hr drive for 50 to 100 miles on sled and then 3hrs home on average or less conditions just isn't worth my while these days. I gotta move closer! Now this weekend might be a different story! Let us know how you make out dropping at Montague today!

I agree...... I love this time of year riding. Ads a little adventure and you usually donít have The masses. Pack a lunch and some water and head out.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
    You must really want to ride. I would rather my sled sit in the garage than drive to ride on what's left up on the plateau.
    Exactly why its the most fun time of the year to ride!

Nice as this is the best time of year to ride. Warm, lack of citidiots and the Brapp squads.

Quote Originally Posted by RENEGADE13 View Post
    Awesome report oko!! Love the pics! I used to do alot of solo riding and loved it!! How far from the hill are you? 3 hr drive for 50 to 100 miles on sled and then 3hrs home on average or less conditions just isn't worth my while these days. I gotta move closer! Now this weekend might be a different story! Let us know how you make out dropping at Montague today!
    I'm in Syracuse, so about an hour+ away. I probably drove the rig 110-miles to ride the sled 64. I ride alone every time. The little woman came out once this season. It's beats sitting home on my two days off this week.
    I'm thinking this might be "it" for the season without a big dump of snow. It's also a great time to look for post-season treasure amongst all the trash. Yesterday, I found two small nylon straps of the size I can use for work.
    In past years, I've found a bag of hydroponic pot & $6+ in Canadian $ in Barnes Corners parking lot. A spare rear flap & brake light lens for my sled near the FloHo. A nice hoodie, one complete pair of gloves and a heavy duty tow strap another time. Usually you only find one glove at a time. The pot I traded to a bud for drinks at a bar. He said it was some of the best he's ever had. I wouldn't know being a beer-vodka guy.
    Cranky ol' white dude.

Quote Originally Posted by oko View Post
    I'm in Syracuse, so about an hour+ away. I probably drove the rig 110-miles to ride the sled 64. I ride alone every time. The little woman came out once this season. It's beats sitting home on my two days off this week.
    I'm thinking this might be "it" for the season without a big dump of snow. It's also a great time to look for post-season treasure amongst all the trash. Yesterday, I found two small nylon straps of the size I can use for work.
    In past years, I've found a bag of hydroponic pot & $6+ in Canadian $ in Barnes Corners parking lot. A spare rear flap & brake light lens for my sled near the FloHo. A nice hoodie, one complete pair of gloves and a heavy duty tow strap another time. Usually you only find one glove at a time. The pot I traded to a bud for drinks at a bar. He said it was some of the best he's ever had. I wouldn't know being a beer-vodka guy.
    Well that's good! Yeah I would definitely be up there more being about an hour away! Lucky!
    The weather is starting to look a little better, hopefully they are off on this next snow fall and the hill gets dumped on!

Ah yes, I have my fair share of treasures hanging in my garage from leftover carnage found on the trail!

Last time we were up we recovered some items a guy lost from his bag being open. A bag containing all his paperwork, a GPS and a nice Browning knife. We got in touch with him and met at Flatrock to give him his belongings, some one else recovered 2 brand new belts that he had and turned them in at the hook and ladder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast