Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/4 Sunday Florance-Highmarket-Talbots Corners-YES! DeWitt NOT!

Default 3/4 Sunday Florance-Highmarket-Talbots Corners-YES! DeWitt NOT!

I went to drop in DeWitt after chasing down non-ethanol gas. As I suspect, Nice n’ Easy isn’t going to offer non-ethanol anymore.The Fayetteville, Taft Rd. & Sylvan Beach properties don’t offer it. Neither does the one in Williamsville.

I talked with four 20-somethings from Camilius that had dropped in DeWitt and turned back because of a large tree across the canal trail without a real work around. I left a message with South Shore about it.

So off to Florance and dropped by 2pm after chow. A late start for sure. In and out of the FloHo was bare & muddy. Houlahan had some snirty spots that got better as you hit 46-Corners. On up the CCC Rd to the C4G NE past the turn to Osceola, at County Line.

Up to Swancott Mills that had two rigs parked there. Camp 4 was near mid-season good! Some small brown spots, but it was very flat. Up thru Michigan Mills Rd to Highmarket. Lots of sleds from there north. I ran the North Rd up to McGoldrick loop. A few bumps but very nice riding. I saw Southern Tug’s groomer on the McGoldrick Truck Trail headed south. Gassed up at Barrows. They showed me a cell phone photo of a NYSP Tahoe with tracks on it running the trails. Really?! First we have to look for knuckleheaded sledders, washouts and now an SUV? I thought the NYSP had sleds to patrol with? I sure hope they have their lights on.

Back to Michigan Mills to the N-S Rd and the railroad bed to Talbots Corners. The RR bed was a little bumpy in spots, but not whooped. Retraced my tracks back to the FloHo and loaded up at 6:30 with 91-miles.
    I did spend a lot of time BS’ing with sledders on the trails and at Highmarket.

From Swancott Mills to 46-Corners was bumpy, as was Houlahan after the day’s traffic. Not whooped, but bumpy. All the trails had been groomed since the N’Easter. The east side of the Hill has the most snow. I was told that Redfield is not great. Hannifin Corners & Swancott Mills would make good jumping off points this week. Expect to see a few small ice patches and snirt in a handful of spots. Overall real nice riding.

That Singin’ Fat Broad can sit her behind down. There is plenty of riding left.

If the ‘Cuse loses on Tuesday in the ACC’s, I’ll be looking to ride Thurs.-Friday.

Houlahan looking west.
    Name:  sled_001.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  17.4 KB

Swancott Mills intersection
    Name:  sled_002.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  26.0 KB

Camp 4 Rd.
    Name:  sled_003.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  20.3 KB

Michigan Mills near the N-S Rd intersection.
    Name:  sled_004.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  21.6 KB

Plowed section of Michigan Mills before you jump into
    the woods to Barrows.
    Name:  sled_005.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  18.8 KB
    Last edited by oko; 03-04-2018 at 08:54 PM.
    Cranky ol' white dude.

Default More pixs

Highmarket
    Name:  sled_006.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  27.4 KB

McGoldrick Truck Trail
    Name:  sled_007.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  20.5 KB

Southern Tug groomer on McGoldrick
    Name:  sled_008.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  20.9 KB

RR bed looking east
    Name:  sled_009.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  25.7 KB

RR bed looking west from Talbots Corners.
    Name:  sled_010.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  19.0 KB
    Last edited by oko; 03-04-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    Cranky ol' white dude.

Default Last pixs

Snow depth just to side of trail along the RR bed.
    Name:  sled_011.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  9.3 KB

One 2-3-inch deep bare spot on Houlahan. Not deep,
    But it will scare you.
    Name:  sled_012.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  20.7 KB
    Cranky ol' white dude.

A little ethanol isn’t going to hurt your sled if you aren’t going to let it sit in the tank.

It's not the NYSP Tahoe. It's owned by the NYS DEC Forest Rangers. I was talking to them about it at our Boonville shop. They do plan to patrol with it. I asked them to really think about it's use as snowmobiler aren't really prepared to see a vehicle on the trails. I tried to explain we look for other sleds and groomers but not vehicles. They seemed to understand it but be ready because they plan to use it regularly.

They musta got it from NYSP, ‘cause it was painted up like NYSP. I guess they can stay warm while shooting radar in those 25-mph zones on state land. Like McGoldrick.
    Cranky ol' white dude.

Quote Originally Posted by oko View Post
    They musta got it from NYSP, ‘cause it was painted up like NYSP. I guess they can stay warm while shooting radar in those 25-mph zones on state land. Like McGoldrick.
    It was from them yes. I spoke to the Ranger who was in charge of putting he together. Gave me a lot of info on the who, what's and whys

No shortage of snow here!Name:  7C54A2E4-99CE-4D5C-8630-4150F3429509.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  13.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by fejjj View Post
    No shortage of snow here!Name:  7C54A2E4-99CE-4D5C-8630-4150F3429509.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  13.7 KB
    Where is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
    Where is this?
    My thought, North of the border

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast