Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dealer Demos??

Default Leasing

Sounds like leasing a snowmobile is in the future as cost goes up. Low miles, low monthly payment, new every two years or so.

Talking

So Friday, I made it to the 2019 demo rides in Old Forge. And I got to ride 7 different 2019 demos sleds. But before I review the sleds, I will let you know that I currently own a 2014 Ski-Doo XRS 800 ETEC with Quick Adjust, a 2006 Ski-Doo MXZ 597 with an X Package suspension (my wife mostly rides this sled), and a 2008 Yamaha Venture GT (my 70 year-old father mostly rides this sled). My most other recently owned sleds include a 2013 Ski-Doo TNT 600 ETEC, 2009 Ski-Doo TNT 597, 2008 Ski-Doo TNT 597, 2005 Ski-Doo MXZ Adrenaline 597. Over the years, I have owned all 4 major brands of snowmobiles. I do not consider myself brand loyal. And of note, over the last few years, I have spent significant time riding a 2016 Arctic Cat ZR6000 LXR 137 and a Yamaha Nytro XTX; I have also ridden a Yamaha Apex.

OK, onto the sleds (I rode each one for about 5 miles on both smooth and bumpy trails):

2019 Arctic Cat ZR6000 129 – Not a bad sled and it handles well. It is very comparable to a Ski-Doo TNT 600 ETEC except overall less refined. I do not like the Arctic Cat gauge package and find it difficult to use, difficult to read, and distracting.

2019 Arctic Cat ZR7000 137 – Great low-end power and definitely more low end power than your typical 600 2-stroke but it felt very heavy in the front end. This sled had Cat’s new gauge pod and it was not impressive. I wish Cat would return to old school analog-style gages. Later on in the day, this sled was sidelined due to a chain case failure. My guess is they did not adjust the chain tension after the initial break in.

2019 Arctic Cat ZR8000 137 with iACT – Power was similar to my 2014 Ski-Doo 800 ETEC. Unfortunately, no one, including the Arctic Cat Representatives hosting the demo rides, knew how to control or change the iACT suspension settings (from soft to medium to firm). Later on, inside the Old Forge Recreation Center, some guy (who didn’t work for Arctic Cat) figured out how to change the iACT on the model sled inside the building. The concept is great, except again, Cat’s gage and controls are NOT intuitive.
    All 3 Cats handled well. Possibly, the best front end in the business.

2019 Polaris Rush / Axys 600 S – This sled did not impress me at all. I know that the Axys rear skid can be tuned to perform well, but it needs to set for specific trails conditions. But as we all know, in New York, trails can change from smooth, to nasty, and back to smooth in a matter of miles. Sorry, but I prefer the set it and forget it R-Motion.

2019 Polaris Assault 800 (‘short’ lug 144”) – This is an impressive sled with an impressive motor. Even though this sled had an uncoupled skid, the rear skid’s performance on trail moguls was surprisingly acceptable and it’s handling was acceptable on groomed trails as well. If you are a true 50/50 off-trail / groomed trail rider, then this is the sled for you! Again, 2017 and newer Polaris Liberty 800 motor’s performance is impressive and if the new Polaris 850 is even better, then the Polaris 850 may end up being the new 2-stroke performance king! And all I can say, is Arctic Cat better jump on the 850 2-stroke wagon soon!

2019 Ski-Doo 600 ETEC Gen II G4 ‘XRS’ – This was the MOST impressive sled of the day!!! If they would have put an 800 decal on this sled, I would have believed them. This motor was so responsive and torquey, and light years ahead of Arctic Cat and Polaris 600’s. Everyone else who got off this sled felt the same. Add on the suspension and handling, and this sled is just amazing.

2019 Ski-Doo ACE 900 Turbo – Seemed like it had endless power. I am sure that the Sidewinder and Thunder Cat will beat it to the end of the lake, but this sled felt sooo much lighter than the Arctic Cat 7000 which is lighter than the Sidewinder and Thunder Cat. I cannot think of anything bad to say about the 900 ACE Turbo, it had it all … ride, handling, and lots of manageable power.

I rode a friend’s 850 ETEC G4 last year, so I did not see the need to ride the Ski-Doo 850, but my colleagues who rode the 2019 XRS 850 said it was the most impressive sled they rode that day.
    Last edited by Trail Ryder; 03-11-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Default Nice review.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
    So Friday, I made it to the 2019 demo rides in Old Forge. And I got to ride 7 different 2019 demos sleds. But before I review the sleds, I will let you know that I currently own a 2014 Ski-Doo XRS 800 ETEC with Quick Adjust, a 2006 Ski-Doo MXZ 597 with an X Package suspension (my wife mostly rides this sled), and a 2008 Yamaha Venture GT (my 70 year-old father mostly rides this sled). My most other recently owned sleds include a 2013 Ski-Doo TNT 600 ETEC, 2009 Ski-Doo TNT 597, 2008 Ski-Doo TNT 597, 2005 Ski-Doo MXZ Adrenaline 597. Over the years, I have owned all 4 major brands of snowmobiles. I do not consider myself brand loyal. And of note, over the last few years, I have spent significant time riding a 2016 Arctic Cat ZR6000 LXR 137 and a Yamaha Nytro XTX; I have also ridden a Yamaha Apex.

OK, onto the sleds (I rode each one for about 5 miles on both smooth and bumpy trails):

2019 Arctic Cat ZR6000 129 – Not a bad sled and it handles well. It is very comparable to a Ski-Doo TNT 600 ETEC except overall less refined. I do not like the Arctic Cat gauge package and find it difficult to use, difficult to read, and distracting.

2019 Arctic Cat ZR7000 137 – Great low-end power and definitely more low end power than your typical 600 2-stroke but it felt very heavy in the front end. This sled had Cat’s new gauge pod and it was not impressive. I wish Cat would return to old school analog-style gages. Later on in the day, this sled was sidelined due to a chain case failure. My guess is they did not adjust the chain tension after the initial break in.

2019 Arctic Cat ZR8000 137 with iACT – Power was similar to my 2014 Ski-Doo 800 ETEC. Unfortunately, no one, including the Arctic Cat Representatives hosting the demo rides, knew how to control or change the iACT suspension settings (from soft to medium to firm). Later on, inside the Old Forge Recreation Center, some guy (who didn’t work for Arctic Cat) figured out how to change the iACT on the model sled inside the building. The concept is great, except again, Cat’s gage and controls are NOT intuitive.
    All 3 Cats handled well. Possibly, the best front end in the business.

2019 Polaris Rush / Axys 600 S – This sled did not impress me at all. I know that the Axys rear skid can be tuned to perform well, but it needs to set for specific trails conditions. But as we all know, in New York, trails can change from smooth, to nasty, and back to smooth in a matter of miles. Sorry, but I prefer the set it and forget it R-Motion.

2019 Polaris Assault 800 (‘short’ lug 144”) – This is an impressive sled with an impressive motor. Even though this sled had an uncoupled skid, the rear skid’s performance on trail moguls was surprisingly acceptable and it’s handling was acceptable on groomed trails as well. If you are a true 50/50 off-trail / groomed trail rider, then this is the sled for you! Again, 2017 and newer Polaris Liberty 800 motor’s performance is impressive and if the new Polaris 850 is even better, then the Polaris 850 may end up being the new 2-stroke performance king! And all I can say, is Arctic Cat better jump on the 850 2-stroke wagon soon!

2019 Ski-Doo 600 ETEC Gen II G4 ‘XRS’ – This was the MOST impressive sled of the day!!! If they would have put an 800 decal on this sled, I would have believed them. This motor was so responsive and torquey, and light years ahead of Arctic Cat and Polaris 600’s. Everyone else who got off this sled felt the same. Add on the suspension and handling, and this sled is just amazing.

2019 Ski-Doo ACE 900 Turbo – Seemed like it had endless power. I am sure that the Sidewinder and Thunder Cat will beat it to the end of the lake, but this sled felt sooo much lighter than the Arctic Cat 7000 which is lighter than the Sidewinder and Thunder Cat. I cannot think of anything bad to say about the 900 ACE Turbo, it had it all … ride, handling, and lots of manageable power.

I rode a friend’s 850 ETEC G4 last year, so I did not see the need to ride the Ski-Doo 850, but my colleagues who rode the 2019 XRS 850 said it was the most impressive sled they rode that day.
    Nice review. Thank you.

Silver Ski-doo XRS was a 2017 build date in 2016.
    Green Renegade is 2018 colors.
    Ski-doo 900 Turbo is an amazing motor.
    Rode the 900T in the Renegade-X pkg with the adjusters on the tunnel
    and that was the best riding sled of the ones I rode.850 XRS,600 Blizzard,18 1/2 600R MXZ,600R MXZ-X,900 Renegade adrenaline
    and including the Polaris sleds.800 Pro-S,800 Switchback,800 Assault 144",XCR 800,600 Pro-S and 1 other 600 something.
    Rides planted like the 1200 does.
    Second best riding was the 600R MXZ-X and the 2018 1/2 600R.
    I also felt real comfortable on the 129" 850 XRS

Ski-doo 600R MXZ-X aint no joke.Rips right from the start.Friend has a 2011 MXZ-X 600 and he rode the new 600
    and stated it's way better with no hesitation like his older one.
    This may be my next sled or the 900 T Renegade-X. More on 900 Turbo review here> http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/...rge-900t-demo/
    Weight is the only issue for me as I've had bigger 4 stroke Yamaha's and a 2010 1200 Renegade-X and currently ride
    a 2014 900 in the 120" version which ski-doo no longer makes.My 2014 900 is for sale.3400? miles.Nice sled as I've kept it for years.

600r MXZ-X

Friday crowd in Ski doo demo line.

Last edited by YAM182; 03-12-2018 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks for taking the time to post these ride reports.
    Despite what you read on this site, we are in the Golden Age of Snowmobiling.
    Our trails are in good to excellent condition 90% + of the time.
    Our clubs are, for the most part, well-run by dedicated volunteers and leadership.
    Grooming is pretty consistent across the State.
    Your sled is likely the most comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient snowmobile you've ever owned.

Thanks for the reviews! I wanted to get the demo rides in Old Forge but couldn't make it this year. I went from 600 E-Tec to 800 E-Tec to 900 Ace over the last 8 years. Sunday I got a real nice 850xrs demo ride by chance. I ran into a friend at the Hook & Ladder while having lunch. He let me ride it all the way back to Winona. Not sure that's the sled for me at this stage of my riding career, but might give it a rip for a year and see how it goes. Probably better off with 600 Etec or 900T. Tough choices this year, lots of nice sleds to choose from. And I don't make triple figures, but I do work hard and pay cash for my things. And I don't give a damn about a Greenback dollar spend it fast as I can!

Default Demo rides.

Quote Originally Posted by OrwellianCamper View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post these ride reports.
    AS a owner of ski-doo and polaris, i was really excited to test ride the new 600r and 900t. i was not to impressed with 600r, with all the hype i was expecting more , performance disappointing .handling, it pushed badly, i know it needs to be set up. not impressed. The 900t handled well do to the weight, performance wise well when i got off it i had to check the cowl, sure enough it said turbo. Maybe it was not working, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 69ms18 View Post
    AS a owner of ski-doo and polaris, i was really excited to test ride the new 600r and 900t. i was not to impressed with 600r, with all the hype i was expecting more , performance disappointing .handling, it pushed badly, i know it needs to be set up. not impressed. The 900t handled well do to the weight, performance wise well when i got off it i had to check the cowl, sure enough it said turbo. Maybe it was not working, lol.
    A friend of mine in NH had the same feelings about the 900T. Totally unimpressive coming from. A guy who trail rides a 1200.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    A friend of mine in NH had the same feelings about the 900T. Totally unimpressive coming from. A guy who trail rides a 1200.
    There’s no replacement for displacement.

Smile

I talked to one guy at the Demo Rides that rode two different 900Ts. He said one had impressive power (900T Renegade X) while the other 900T did not. I rode the 900T Renegade X.

Again, the sled that impressed me the most was the MXZ 600R XRS. By far, it was the most responsive 600 that I have ever ridden. If it had 800 decals on it, they probably would have fooled me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast